Country
    Singapore

Advice Needed: leaves browning and turning white

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Need some advice here as I am new to planted aquariums. I started out 3 weeks ago and last week I added my second bunch of hair grass to my foreground. I added more hair grass because I saw my first batch growing nicely green and starting to show signs of new growth.

3 days ago, my hair grass started showing signs of browning and yesterday it started turning white. Even the first batch (first row of hair grass from the back) started to turn brown also.

Here are some parameters of my tank:
    - 60 litre tank
    - DIY Co2 at about 1 bubble per second
    - Lights on timer for 9hrs a day (6hrs on, 4hrs off, 3hrs on, 11hrs off)
    - PH 6.5
    - Ammonia 0ppm
    - NO2 2ppm

When I saw the the browning begin, I headed to the LFS near my store and got some root tabs and inserted them 2 days ago.

What should I do to the brown and white leaves? And what ferts do I need to help my plants get green again?

TIA!

Sent from my CPH1719 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice Needed: leaves browning and turning white

I found this chart quite useful. At least, I know what I am lacking, and know how to apply the correct remedy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

From some Youtube video I saw, they say the substrate should have enough nutrients to last 1-2 years for your plants.
    Don't think you need root tabs yet since your tank is only a few weeks old.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dunhaf View Post

I found this chart quite useful. At least, I know what I am lacking, and know how to apply the correct remedy
    Thanks dunhaf... Guess my case is a case of nitrogen deficiency...

What ferts to use to boost thus in the time being while waiting for my tank to completely cycle?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to share and update.

Been a week since I added the root tabs and I also got a liquid fertilizer.

Plants have seen improvement and the amazon sword at the back has grown taller. IMG20180408125754.jpgIMG20180408125733.jpgIMG20180408125702.jpgIMG20180408125719.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think you are over worried. The hair grass which you just planted are probably in the process of adjusting to submersed life. They are probably grown emmersed and now that you submerged them, old leaves will die and new leaves that are adapted for submersed condition will grow. It takes a few weeks to a month for the plant to adjust.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update on my journey...

Did a bit of rescaping and added some red plants at the background (but not sure what species it is). If anyone knows, appreciate your kind assistance to ID please. TIA!

Last week, I introduced Dennerle S7 into my weekly fertilizer routine. I also increased CO2 to 2bps. Lighting reduced by 1hour. Algae is now in control, my water change this week didn't need any scrubbing of algae off my glass.

My amazon sword grew so much taller and both my Vals and HG have sent out runners.

My next upgrade would be to change from DIY CO2 to pressurized CO2 so that I can switch off my CO2 at night. Will update again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update on my journey...

Did a bit of rescaping and added some red plants at the background (but not sure what species it is). If anyone knows, appreciate your kind assistance to ID please. TIA!

Last week, I introduced Dennerle S7 into my weekly fertilizer routine. I also increased CO2 to 2bps. Lighting reduced by 1hour. Algae is now in control, my water change this week didn't need any scrubbing of algae off my glass.

My amazon sword grew so much taller and both my Vals and HG have sent out runners.

My next upgrade would be to change from DIY CO2 to pressurized CO2 so that I can switch off my CO2 at night. Will update again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update on my journey...