Country
    Singapore

Newb

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, lurking & reading up.

Trying to start a planted tank for the kids but info seems overwhelming currently.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newb

If you are setting up a tank for your kids, you can start with a simple setup with a $2 packet of guppies or platys and a 2ft tank. That is the most sensible thing to do due to the fact that fish-keeping requires a lot of knowledge to sustain as a hobby.

With cheap fish dying as experience is gained, the loss would at least be bearable. But usually, people will give up the hobby eventually not because they don't like fish, but because losses are too expensive to bear.

Learning the ropes with cheap fish is thus the way to go.🐡
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    If you are setting up a tank for your kids, you can start with a simple setup with a $2 packet of guppies or platys and a 2ft tank. That is the most sensible thing to do due to the fact that fish-keeping requires a lot of knowledge to sustain as a hobby.

With cheap fish dying as experience is gained, the loss would at least be bearable. But usually, people will give up the hobby eventually not because they don't like fish, but because losses are too expensive to bear.

Learning the ropes with cheap fish is thus the way to go.
    Thanks for the reply tetrakid. I've actually gone and started, if not, it'll be an idea in limbo for another couple of years.

Planning a planted tank with tetras and amano shrimp or ottos.

Currently cycling on 6th day but I have a feeling I did a number or mistakes already.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, with that setup, you are already far advanced than a beginner. Nice setup.

For me, I'd prefer to maximise the water volume as much as possible because a bigger body of water is biologically easier to manage than a smaller one. With too much decorations, the nett volume of water is drastically reduced. Thus, a 'bare' tank would therdfore have maximum volume of water in it. With a smaller volume of water, maintainance would have to be correspondingly stringent due to constant bioloading activity of fish. Over-populating a tank is also another factor to consider with regard to stringent maintenance. Ideally, a tank should be under-populated in favour of water stability.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Wow, with that setup, you are already far advanced than a beginner. Nice setup.

For me, I'd prefer to maximise the water volume as much as possible because a bigger body of water is biologically easier to manage than a smaller one. With too much decorations, the nett volume of water is drastically reduced. Thus, a 'bare' tank would therdfore have maximum volume of water in it. With a smaller volume of water, maintainance would have to be correspondingly stringent due to constant bioloading activity of fish. Over-populating a tank is also another factor to consider with regard to stringent maintenance. Ideally, a tank should be under-populated in favour of water stability.
    Thanks tetrakid! That's very informative. I think I'll be taking out a couple of rocks to add water volume.

The tank itself very small. Starting to have some second thoughts on the size of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apart from maximizing the water volume, profuse oxygenation of the water is also a highly desirable thing. Most hobbyists overlook this aspect.

I consider oxygenation of utmost importance in a fish tank with organic life in it. Organic life includes the good bacteria. Merely circulating a body of water around the tank is different from oxygenating the water.

It must also be borne in mind that plants and fish have conflicting needs in terms of oxygen and carbon dioxide requirements. Thus, a keeper of a water garden in a tank would need to recognize that fish would suffer in the long run if the environment is starved of oxygen while profusely carbonated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You'd probably need a filtration system installed in your tank so that the water can be properly cycled and cleaned.

That seems to be the most important missing element in your tank. The filtration will also give you the added aeration needed to provide oxygen to your fishes to be.

Sent from my CPH1719 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeslash View Post
    You'd probably need a filtration system installed in your tank so that the water can be properly cycled and cleaned.

That seems to be the most important missing element in your tank. The filtration will also give you the added aeration needed to provide oxygen to your fishes to be.

Sent from my CPH1719 using Tapatalk
    Hi Knifeslash, thanks for the input. Yes, i was actually waiting on my filter at the time of post.

I've since added a hang on filter and did some actual planting.

It's still cycling though. My kid can't wait to get snails. Heh