Country
    Singapore

Beginner: Setting up a planted vase

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I want to set up a planted vase for my grandma. She used to have a few large flower pots filled with guppies and snails and aquatic plants when she was living in her bungalow. It was one of those natural cycling tanks with rainwater supplying fresh water and mosquito larvae as a source of food. Unfortunately she got too old to live alone and moved to a small flat and misses her garden/fish. She's got a balcony but it isn't any good for growing plants (dim and southeast facing). I was hoping to help set up a simple planted tank for her on her HDB balcony. Preferably something requiring minimal maintenance, but fun to watch.

What sorts of things would be suitable?
    Probably between 1-3 gallons, with no additional lighting, no filter (just weekly water top-ups), no heating, no CO2 or ferts
    I was thinking perhaps shrimp (CRS) with some frogbit and java moss. Maybe some stem plants as well.
    Any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: Setting up a planted vase

I should think shrimps are a no-no because they are a modern fad which is somewhat of a deviation from fish-keeping. Furthermore shrimps require more delicate care to survive.

A couple of goldfish in a huge earthen pot (those with dragon decorations) should be more suitable for the sake of nostalgic feelings. Care should be taken to ensure only a couple of fish are kept rather than a group, on account of bioload considerations.

That said, there can be no substitute for a pond in one's own garden. ������
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner: Setting up a planted vase

If its those dragon urns you are after, then some floating plants, echindorous or water lily/lotus and some live bearers or anabantoids.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.