Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wanting to set up new cichlid tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys just a quick background i was a hobbyist 2 years back, had owned a 4foot tank w a couple of fishes before ( tetras,angels, discus) and eventually moved to marine and decommed my tank due to army. However my holidays are approaching and i feel like setting up a cichlid tank so yea. A couple of questions from me

1) My intended size will be 2.5/3ft x 1.5 x 1.5, how many can i own? Im looking at the malawi ones ( or if there are any bright colored better alternatives other than the dwarfs and rams )
    2) do i need to adjust PH and add buffers ( eg seachem malawi buffer or lake salt etc ) I stay in yishun so Im wondering if any yishuners know the PH of our tap water? Most post that i dug through were couple of years ago so im not sure if its still accurate
    3) Filtration, do i need sump? or Cannisters will do? or if none of the above which is the best
    4) Substrate, I saw there are some sand in LFS last time which help buffer PH or something like that do they actually work?

Cheers and thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wanting to set up new cichlid tank

Of course for tanks bigger is better. sump filters for easy maintenance. You are talking about high bio load territorial fish.
    You seem very concerned about PH. No amount of asking around is going to give you a definite answer. Get a PH pen or test strips.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wanting to set up new cichlid tank

Yea I know bigger is better but from my experience with a 4 feet, my family isn't too keen with a big tank again