1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Eheim 2215 / 2217 Real Flow rate tested

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This article was done in 2010 and I am placing it here for reference.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...le-so-far.html

Flow rate on Eheim classics filters are affected by :-
    1) length of input & output hoses
    2) min and max installation height
    3) how packed the canister is (biomedia, filter floss, mechanical etc)
    4) other additional inline equipment such co2 reactors or prefilters.

This is OFFICIALLY from Eheim Tech Service:

2215 with full media, spray bar and tank at 121cm height = 511 - 530 L/H
    2217 with full media, spray bar and tank at 121 cm height = 794 -813 L/H

Eheim has a flow chart with corresponding numbers in relation to the height of the top of your tank.

Real test by Jerry1, he used Eheim Mech, Blue course sponge, White filter floss and Eheim Substrate Pro in his 2215 & 2217.

His results are as follows :-
    2215 - 215 L/H
    2217- 507 L/H

Explanation for low flow:-
    Eheim are not meant to be high flow rate filters, their design is to allow more exposure to biomedia given their lower flow rates. Also note that lower flow rate is not proportional to filtration efficiency.

Do take note of this when buying filters and setting up your tank.

This article is credited to Jerry1 for his extensive test and "research".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim 2215 / 2217 Real Flow rate tested

Thanks torque. Good information....been wondering why my new 2217 flow rate seems lower than expected. The above seems to explain this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The way to get round this problem is to use very porous bio-medias like Biohomme, that way you can get away with using less media while achieving the same biological efficiency. Unfortunately most of us just pack the canister filter to the brim to fully utilise the filter space. The question is what if we were to fill the filter to Eg. 70% with media instead of 100%, how much of an improvement can we expect? There's quite a huge difference between the official flow rate and the real test flow rate.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I wouldn't say biohome is porous after extended use as the internal cracks do get clog. I am currently using it on my eheim canister and have experienced what the Jerry1 tested. Major slow down in flow rate. I thought of switching to Sera Siporax but since I have limited budget in this hobby nowadays, I haven't changed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This must be very disappointing especially after you had spent good money on that filter. Having a lower flow rate after the medias are added in is ok but to have it slow down to less than half the stated flow rate is I think it could be because of the way water flows through inside the filter. Would be good if owners of the Ecco or Pro series could share their experiences as well.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Now I'm scared to find out what's the actual flowrate on my OASE Biomaster 600. It's hooked up to a chiller so cannot afford it to fall too low!

Luckily I have 2 canisters to support my tank, so maybe I'll take the safe route and underpack the chiller canister.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is better to modify your chiller by adding an external temperature controller . Even with a slower flow rate ( not 500 lt/hr or below ) , it will not be affected by your filter flow rate issue . The external temperature controller modification will read the actual tank water temperature , not the water temperature in the chiller itself .

Remember , a canister filter is designed to filter the water , not to provide as a main water current movement , for that , a wavemaker is ideal . For a smaller tank , a larger canister filter with a higher flowrate can become the main water current equipment but for a larger tank , even with many large canister filter , it might not be enough to achieve the desired effect of preventing dead spot in the aquarium itself , due to the effect of the plant growing larger in size .
    Last edited by BFG; 2nd Jul 2018 at 13:52.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post

... ...
    Remember , a canister filter is designed to filter the water , not to provide as a main water current movement , for that , a wavemaker is ideal . For a smaller tank , a larger canister filter with a higher flowrate can become the main water current equipment but for a larger tank , even with many large canister filter , it might not be enough to achieve the desired effect of preventing dead spot in the aquarium itself , due to the effect of the plant growing larger in size .
    ... ...
    I am thinking along the same line.

In my current 3ft tank, I have Eheim Ecco Pro 300 (2036) and a JVP-130 wavemaker which is rated 4000L/H according to taobao link:
    https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...=3574971446356

The flow is Strong in my tank thanks to the wavemaker, now I'm thinking, should I reduce the flow of my filter further by introducing a pre-filter since (a) lotsa mulm buildup in the filter every week. (b) since wavemaker is making so much flow, no harm by reducing filter flow right? (c) easier cleaning pre-filter only

Went to clementi walk walk, and ended up with a Ista Pre-Filter, installed over the weekend. Lets see how.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

I don't feel wave maker is safe. I always have this feeling that small fish or shrimp will get suck in and chopped up

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlim View Post
    I don't feel wave maker is safe. I always have this feeling that small fish or shrimp will get suck in and chopped up
    I was worried about the exact same thing when I started putting wave maker in the tank. It all started with a smaller one, I think it’s rated abo it 1500L/H? and notice plants are responding well. Observation shows that shrimp n fishes are not dumb, once slight current pull, they jump away... the more braver ones, otto and amano shrimp went as close as to clean the wavemaker’s body, not sure if any of them got shredded.

To solve some of the GSA problem I had, I decided to increase the flow further, that’s why the JVP-130 came into the picture. Increase the flow quite a fair bit, gotta add more rocks at the opposite side of the tank else the flow could blow the gravel away. Tetra seems to enjoy it, they swim back and forth the strong current. I see some shrimp cluster at high flow area too. Only the Panda Cory and Mosquito Rasbora avoid it. Otto and Hillstream loach seems to like to hang on to the surface where there is high flow too... haha.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I found 2 of my cardinal tetra bodies got ripped in half, stuck on the impeller of my wave maker. That prompted me to stop using them. I am currently using the Aquael water circulator with sponge now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I found 2 of my cardinal tetra bodies got ripped in half, stuck on the impeller of my wave maker. That prompted me to stop using them. I am currently using the Aquael water circulator with sponge now.
    Perhaps ur tetra too small or the wave maker hole too big?... lol... with my latest JVP-130, the cardinal and rummy-nose tetra can't even fit thru, maybe the mosquito Rasbora could, even CRS will need to squeeze to get into the inlet hole....

Been on wave maker for more than 2 months now, no known casualties sighted *Yet...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlim View Post
    This topic was debated in another forum quite a long time ago and the conclusion was that if a fish was found to be stuck to a wavemaker , the fish might not be healthy and couldnt swim away or it was dying or already dead and its carcass was naturally stuck to the wavemaker due to the suction . A healthy fish would know if it was being pull into a wavemaker and would swim away . A fish has lateral lines on its body to sense where they are in the water column , I couldnt remember what the exact name is .
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another way to have water movement but without wavemaker is to install a water pump in a close loop configuration . The pump would take water from the tank and expelled it back into the tank .

Tank --- pump ---- tank .

With this configuration , you could use a strainer at the inlet side of the pump piping to prevent any livestock from being sucked into the pump . The outlet can either be left open , use a directional nozzle or a rainbar depending how you may want the water current to circulate in the tank . This is good for small tank as well as large tank as you can choose to use the correct sized pump or purchase an adjustable flow pump too for adjustability . The con is the pump wattage will always be more than the canister filter wattage .

Hope this helps !

Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This topic was debated in another forum quite a long time ago and the conclusion was that if a fish was found to be stuck to a wavemaker , the fish might not be healthy and couldnt swim away or it was dying or already dead and its carcass was naturally stuck to the wavemaker due to the suction . A healthy fish would know if it was being pull into a wavemaker and would swim away . A fish has lateral lines on its body to sense where they are in the water column , I couldnt remember what the exact name is .
    That is so true after observing after installing wavemaker. Even the smallest of em all (baby shrimplets, mosquito rasbora) bounce immediately on the slight current pull from the wavemaker.

Still find school of rummynose swimming back and forth in front of the current outlet to be entertaining. pretty sure it wasn't food anticipation coz am observing from afar...

Only death I have from my tanks, are jumpers. rummynose, neo-cadinal tetra getting spooked when switching on lights in the morning.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Another way to have water movement but without wavemaker is to install a water pump in a close loop configuration . The pump would take water from the tank and expelled it back into the tank .

With this configuration , you could use a strainer at the inlet side of the pump piping to prevent any livestock from being sucked into the pump . The outlet can either be left open , use a directional nozzle or a rainbar depending how you may want the water current to circulate in the tank . This is good for small tank as well as large tank as you can choose to use the correct sized pump or purchase an adjustable flow pump too for adjustability . The con is the pump wattage will always be more than the canister filter wattage .
    With the assuming existing canister, that's so many pipes~

might as well:
    (a) Install another canister ($$)
    (b) Install a Sump tank ($$$)

but the best still is to add a wavemaker ($)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hope this helps !

Hope this helps
    Too complicated boss. I would just install 1 more canister.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just an example that I stated here in this thread , as I do not know how each individual set up their tanks . I have met some fishkeeping enthusiast and sometimes their methods varies so I would give a broad recommendation . Also , my experience also include those method that I used before in marine as well as planted tank .

But I do see that most fishkeeper and planted tank enthusiast do not believe in the wavemaker usefullness , until they use one . I am speaking about my experience with my colleague and friends . It is until I sponsor them one that they saw the need to have one . It is even useful to have one in an arowana tank too ! I am working with another friend who has a planted tank to install 1 wavemaker in his 3ft tank . He has 4 canister filter , each pair connected in series . Crossing my fingers !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

... But I do see that most fishkeeper and planted tank enthusiast do not believe in the wavemaker usefullness , until they use one . I am speaking about my experience with my colleague and friends . It is until I sponsor them one that they saw the need to have one ...
    Walau... wavemaker ain't that expensive, still need to be sponsored... haha...

... I am working with another friend who has a planted tank to install 1 wavemaker in his 3ft tank . He has 4 canister filter , each pair connected in series . Crossing my fingers !
    4 canister? each pair connected?... how does the flow work? 3ft tank need 4 canister? one big canister can serve fine dy wha...