Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cherry shrimps and cardinal tetra

cherry shrimps and cardinal tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    whenever I put the cherry shirmps into my 3 feet tank with the cardinal tetra. after a day or 2 all my shrimps are missing and some death. Thinking it was my water parameter , I am checking the water parameter everyday and everything seem alright. Now using the same 3 feet tank I separatly rear my cherry in net breeder and it seem that all my shrimps are doing well with no casulty. Could anyone advice if my Cardinal is murdering my cherry shrimp. can we keep cherry and cardinal in the same tank. Appreciate to have some advice. thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re

i have 5 cardinals and plentiful shrimps in my 1 feet low tech tank... =) feed your cardinals well so they won't eat your shrimp if they are eating them now...

unfortunately I have 50 cardinal and when I put in 30 cherry Shrimp after a few day I don't find any left.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by augi_ow
    i have 5 cardinals and plentiful shrimps in my 1 feet low tech tank... =) feed your cardinals well so they won't eat your shrimp if they are eating them now...
    What bout rummy noses will they eat my shrimps? i havent lost any shrimps so far, only one cause it jumped out......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It seems I have the same problem too! Yesterday put in 30 shrimps, 50 Cardinals, 4 Rams & 2 dward puffers. Today saw a no of empty shrimp heads & couldn't even locate more than 10 shrimps
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

So I hope that I could confirm that Cardinal and shrimp cannot mix if it is true than I have cardinal for sales. So I wish someone could confirm this as I am losing too much money buying shrimp to feed my cardinal

Feedback Score
    well.... you must have a lot of hiding place fr the shrimps...

and it depends alot on luck, am sure alot of bros here pay quite substantial "school fee" in keeping shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdadan
    So I hope that I could confirm that Cardinal and shrimp cannot mix if it is true than I have cardinal for sales. So I wish someone could confirm this as I am losing too much money buying shrimp to feed my cardinal
    heh, lucky my shrimps cheepcheep one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    arsene....you again

Well said...yes, to keep shrimps, you need to pay a lot of "school fees".

You said your water parameter was ok, what does that mean?
    Shrimps are very sensitive creature, particulary sensitive to sudden changes.
    You can keep fishes and stuff with no problems, but can fail miserably with shrimps.

I don't think that your cardinals are killing your shrimps. (unless they are particulary big). You mentioned about empty shell heads...that is normal.
    Shrimps shed their skin when they grow. Not finding the shrimps is also quite normal. they are excellant at hiding. You should worry if you see a lot of dead shrimps or if the shrimp is trying to jump out of the tank. (sucide bomber type). That would mean that your water condition is not good.
    Shrimps are sensitive to the following: temperature, ferts, ammonia. too much of co2, sudden ph swing, lack of oxygen.

Thank for the information. I am currently housing about 40 cherry shrimp in a breeding net. intent to keep for a week before release into the tank. just to confirm my water parameter is not the cause. So really hope the cardinal is not the murderer for my shrimp. thank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Last night after lights off. I noticed the shrimps all come to the foreground even though there are no plants. I hope it's because they feel more secure being in the open when there is no lights.

I also discovered that the cardinals lose their reds after lights off. And they no longer swim in a group, but some here some there. Is this normal?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Basic animal behaviour. I think it is the same for human beings

one sure way to get your cardinals to group together is to put in a bigger fish.

Shrimps don't stay in the plants all the time. They need to forage for food amongst the open area too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    waaaa you so evil..........

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    whenever I put the cherry shirmps into my 3 feet tank with the cardinal tetra. after a day or 2 all my shrimps are missing and some death. Thinking it was my water parameter , I am checking the water parameter everyday and everything seem alright. Now using the same 3 feet tank I separatly rear my cherry in net breeder and it seem that all my shrimps are doing well with no casulty. Could anyone advice if my Cardinal is murdering my cherry shrimp. can we keep cherry and cardinal in the same tank. Appreciate to have some advice. thanks
    This is my personal experience:

About 100 Cardinal in a 4ft tank with about 10 yamato (above 2cm). 1/2 planted then, therefore, i think not enough hiding place for the shrimps. I saw a group of cardinal attacking a yamato and in less than a min, that shrimp became their snack.
    After that incident, the cardinal were like having a liking of the taste of yamato. I saw them attacking and eating the rest of the yamato athought i feed them well. In no time, all my yamato were gone.

Now, my tank is almost fully planted with lots of hiding space. I reintroduce yamato for the past few months and everything seems ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by yokogi
    It seems I have the same problem too! Yesterday put in 30 shrimps, 50 Cardinals, 4 Rams & 2 dward puffers. Today saw a no of empty shrimp heads & couldn't even locate more than 10 shrimps
    Of course la!!!!! you put dwarf puffers in!!!!! they will eat your shrimps and snails!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuer
    This is my personal experience:

About 100 Cardinal in a 4ft tank with about 10 yamato (above 2cm). 1/2 planted then, therefore, i think not enough hiding place for the shrimps. I saw a group of cardinal attacking a yamato and in less than a min, that shrimp became their snack.
    After that incident, the cardinal were like having a liking of the taste of yamato. I saw them attacking and eating the rest of the yamato athought i feed them well. In no time, all my yamato were gone.

Now, my tank is almost fully planted with lots of hiding space. I reintroduce yamato for the past few months and everything seems ok.
    Lucky rummy noses dun do that

Well I think My cardinal is the problem, Maybe I need to sell My cardinal to save my shrimp any buyer I am staying in Tampines.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well I think My cardinal is the problem, Maybe I need to sell My cardinal to save my shrimp any buyer I am staying in Tampines.

How many pcs will u be selling? what size and price? I don't mind getting from you if the price is right.

I brought 50 pieces and and 2 piece jump of my tank and died, There should be around 48 pieces, size midium large very healthy. selling all $20

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK. i take all the 48 from you. how do we contact?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast