Singapore

Moving Tank and resetting tank at new location

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

Say I decommission my tank for moving -- meaning
    1. take out all substrate/sand and, driftwoods and plants/fishes 2 days before moving
    2. Dry the tank
    3. Move the tank
    4. Put back the substrate into the tank at new location
    - Do I need to put a layer of new substrate over the old substrate>?
    If I use Aquasoil the ammonia leaching cycle will begin all over again.
    - this may cause complications to some of the plants .....

Not sure if anyone can help

Which ADA soil leaches the least ammonia?
    Any other suggestion on topping up the substrate with some other brands of soil?

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moving Tank and resetting tank at new location

You can start adding sponge/or extra biomedia to the canister filter, so you can use them on the quarantine tank during the move. On the day of the move, take those shrimp filter and use the 2 seeded sponge from your canister and run the powerhead with aeration, then add the biomedia from the canister to the quaratine tank (make sure you rinse it good).

At the new place, just add back the semi wet soil, fill with water and run the cannister with the biomedia (not the sponges). You wouldn't lose too much bacteria this way I think. It is however going to take several days of large water changes + soil vacuum to remove the detritus, mould etc which may develop in the course of those 2-4 days. Add back the plants once the water clears. But do make sure you plant heavy; density>70%. Test the water.

I recommend running the tank for at least 2 weeks before adding the life stock. If you want to do WC on the quaratine tank, remember to use the water in your existing tank to help acclimate the fishes; 5-10% water change per day, but must test for low ammonia, nitrite and nitrate first on the main tank.

Moving tanks when move house always difficult. To make it not so difficult, I would just use all new soil. Maintain quaratine tank with the seeded sponge and let the tank cycled for 1 month again before adding every body back into the tank. The main aspect of the move is make sure your life stock stays alive and not worry about ammonia leeching into the tank.

Having rare and light/ fert demanding plants during the move do complicate things though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moving Tank and resetting tank at new location

How big is your tank? Any fish stocks involved?