Singapore

ADA 60P tank leaking

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I was just reading the interesting thread "Tank Stand for ADA-45P"and I
    thought I will share with everyone with happened to my tank.

As above bought a ADA 60P with the cabinet about 3.5 years ago. Recently
    noticed that it started leaking. It was leaking according to this thread I
    posted on Nov 2016 - http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ng!?highlight=
    and for some strange reason it stopped suddenly.

Promptly forgotten about it until it seriously started leaking at same spot last Monday.
    There is no visible crack as shown in the photo. I promptly emptied the water, transferred
    the fishes to a smaller tank and applied a aquarium silicone sealant, Waited for about 48hrs
    and reintroduce water but it still leaks ....

Could the leak be caused by the tank jutting out about 1 to 2mm? I am thinking of reusing
    the tank to grow plants at the balcony, any other uses?

And the most important question, if I get a 3 feet tank, anyway to prevent it from leaking?
    After what happened, I must admit I am a bit scared of ADA tanks, any advice?

Thanks!

leakingTank.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ADA 60P tank leaking

I was advised by Wee Yang last time when I got my 1 feet cube that tanks' four corners should be supported at all times. Tank mis-alignment (like this type of "jutting out") is a big No No.

When I moved my ADA 3 feet tank to my new place, the experts delivery guy also said the same thing. Tank base needs to be support fully by wood plak (including all 4 corners), a slight shift will cause the silicone to tear or cause the tank to crack.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My ADA 45P "suddenly" sprung 2 leaks at a similar location (side/front panel about 4-6 inches from the bottom) on X'mas day. Happened at 1+ a.m. just as I was about to turn in for the night. Counted myself lucky to have witnessed it and was able to quickly lower the water level and transfer fishes and filter to a bucket temporarily.

My tank had been on the same stand for probably 6+ years without incident. Could the leaks have developed due to aging, and hence shrinkage, of the silicone? Read some where that silicone shrinkage do occur due to aging. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure what to do with the tank now. I have cleaned up the mess and the tank/glass still looks fantastic, crystal clear with no scratches. Anyone knows where I can send the tank to have all the old silicone remove and re-silicone the entire tank (all panels) to about the same standard as the original? Find it a pity to have to dump it or re-purpose it in this recycling age.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    My ADA 45P "suddenly" sprung 2 leaks at a similar location (side/front panel about 4-6 inches from the bottom) on X'mas day. Happened at 1+ a.m. just as I was about to turn in for the night. Counted myself lucky to have witnessed it and was able to quickly lower the water level and transfer fishes and filter to a bucket temporarily.

My tank had been on the same stand for probably 6+ years without incident. Could the leaks have developed due to aging, and hence shrinkage, of the silicone? Read some where that silicone shrinkage do occur due to aging. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure what to do with the tank now. I have cleaned up the mess and the tank/glass still looks fantastic, crystal clear with no scratches. Anyone knows where I can send the tank to have all the old silicone remove and re-silicone the entire tank (all panels) to about the same standard as the original? Find it a pity to have to dump it or re-purpose it in this recycling age.
    6 years doesnt seem too bad.Did you move the tank and where did the water leak out from?Silicone area?Would prob get a new tank.No idea about the re silicone part though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    6 years doesnt seem too bad.Did you move the tank and where did the water leak out from?Silicone area?Would prob get a new tank.No idea about the re silicone part though.
    Similar location as Toolkit's 60P tank. A small section of the silicone seal between the front & side glass panels failed despite tank bought new in 2013 and tank was not moved. Perhaps the 5mm glass thickness + minimal silicone of the ADA manufacturing process contributed to earlier failure as there isn't much extra silicone available for shrinkage due to aging (if this phenomenon is true).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The tank bought new doesn't mean it's new. ADA inventory do not move fast here in SG, your tank could have been manufactured 1-2 years before it hit the shelves, then it takes another 1-2 years again to sell. Bought the tank in 2013, but the age of the tank could be 2010, which explains that all tanks coming to 10 years could leak.

Should have bought from Daniel, CRA, they do repairs for silicone leaks on the spot.

By the way, there is a surge in new accounts as well as inactive accounts digging up past threads and replying to old threads which serves no purpose.

Do start new threads going forward.