Need Advice on Air pump and Air Bubble filters. thanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello Bros,
    i need some advice on Air pumps and Air Bubble filters. Thanks
    Currently using Resun AIR4000 air pump to power 2 small 10 gallon tanks
    Turn on full blast works quite acceptable for now...
    AIR4000 4W 180*2L/H ≥0.014Mpa 2Ways 50~300L

i need to setup another 2 more 10 gallon tanks total 4 tanks
    Therefore the resun AIR4000 air pump maybe too weak
    i am looking at Resun AIR8000 or BOYU SES-10
    AIR8000 8W 180*4L/H ≥0.016Mpa 4Ways 100~600L

BOYU SES-10 (looks like a Mini Hi-Blow type)
    VOLT: AC230/115V
    FREQ: 50/60Hz
    POWER: 10W
    PRESSURE: 0.02Mpa
    OUTPUT: 10L/min

i am not too sure if Resun AIR8000 or Boyu SES-10 is more worth it?

Another question on air bubble box filters
    i am currently using GEX roka boy air bubble box filters M size
    i put in some seachem denitrate media and it works quite acceptable... but the mechanical suction is still very poor...
    may i know how to improve the mechanical suction?
    i saw GZ Coral CR-8800 Air bubble filters and they seems interesting.
    but not sure if they are better than normal air bubble box filters?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need Advice on Air pump and Air Bubble filters. thanks

In my humble opinion , there is a trade off between using a air bubble box filter in that suction wise , there is a limit to how much suction a air bubble box filter can achieve . Either you increase the air flow , which might cause more turbulence as well as noise or you lessen the filtration media to allow more water to flow into it . If you cant do this , you might need to add another air bubble filter box , upgrade to a larger model or upgrade your filtration setup .

I am guessing you are raising baby fish or shrimps and do not want them to be sucked into the filtration system if you want to use a pump base filtration system . It is then that you need to add an additional step to your tank maintenance , that is to siphon out the solid waste manually in your tank maintenance upkeep . Another way , a rather expensive direction if you are really serious , is to upgrade the tank to be connected to a sump system , in that , if ever the livestock is accidentally went into the overflow system , it might have a higher chance of survival in the sump tank but by going this route , every single livestock will have to content with the one water parameter that you set it to be , you cannot mix other livestock from another biotope of a different chemistry water parameter . Also , the risk of a cross contamination from disease is high as every tank is connected to a single sump .

Hope this helps !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello BFG,
    Thanks for your kind advice.
    yes i removed a bit of bio-media with a 5mm gap space. i also thin off the sponge to allow easier water flow thru the air bubble box filter
    another modification i did was to drill 5-8mm holes at the bottom of the Gex Roka boy M size filter. it does seems to improve bottom suction a bit.
    because i am using seachem denitrate i can't really find a suitable internal power filter slow and large enough under 200L/hr
    those mini internal power filter at 200L/hr or below has very small capacity for bio-media.
    that's why i stick to the old school air bubble box filters, the Gex Roka boy M filter is quite large for bio-media about 4x4x5 inches

may i know if the Bpyu SES-10 air pump pressure of 0.02 means it is more powerful then the Resun 0.016?
    does more powerful pressure also increase the water flow rate of the air bubble box filters?

is there any air bubble box filter even larger than the Gex roka boy M size filter?

Thanks bros

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It has been quite a long time , maybe a couple of decade ago since , that I have used a air bubble filter so I am not sure of whats available at the lfs .

However , there are other options you could go to .

1) Get another air box filter and add the seachem denitrate in it instead of using the original media . When your denitrating period is over , you would remove this 2nd box filter as the 1st box filter would still carry on operating . At the very least , the beneficial bacteria in the 1st box filter are not being disturbed and continue operating as usual .

2) Get a small hang on back filter that could accomodate your seachem denitrate media and use it when you need it . Cover the intake of this hob filter with sponge or cotton wool so that your small livestock may not be accidentally sucked in . It would also preventing solid waste from getting in this hob filter and contaminate your seachem denitrate .

3) You could go the DIY route by getting a pump with the required flow rate , attached it to a container like a plastic bottle or something similar . The container , you need to create many small holes at one end for the water to go in . The hole must be smaller than the seachem denitrate . Connect your pump to this container and you have a denitrate reactor .

4) Purchase a off the shelf reactor and the pump you required , connect this 2 equipment together after adding the seachem denitrate media and run it on the tank .

These are the solutions that comes to my mind currently . Take your time to go through it thoroughly . You might come out with a solution yourself . Dont rush and pick one solution . You might end up wasting time and money as you yourself know what you need . There are pros and con to each solution so choose wisely .

As for the pump pressure you mentioned , I do not know the manufacture rate of accuracy so I cannot comment on that but generally , take it with a pinch of salt , like the saying goes . You can do that too with the solutions I have provided if you wish to . Hope this helps !
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi BFG Bro
    Thanks for kind advice again
    i will monitor the air bubble box filters for a few weeks to see how it perform.
    maybe i will try combine 2 air pump outlets to 1 air bubble box filter 360L/hr see how. LOL
    i believe even though the air pump is rated at 360L/hr the water flow thru the air bubble box filters may be much lower
    what do you think about this?
    Thanks and cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro BFG and other bros
    i search around LFS and found GEX F2 internal filter. it looks quite large at 21 cm in length
    i think it can fill up quite some bit of seachem denitrate on the top section and filter sponge at the bottom section
    the GEX F2 flow rate i looked at the specs is about 180-210L/hr 3-4 watts
    do you think it can work better than air bubble box filters?
    my tanks are quite small only 10 gallon 45cmX30cm

thanks and cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ksc133 View Post
    Hi BFG Bro
    Thanks for kind advice again
    i will monitor the air bubble box filters for a few weeks to see how it perform.
    maybe i will try combine 2 air pump outlets to 1 air bubble box filter 360L/hr see how. LOL
    i believe even though the air pump is rated at 360L/hr the water flow thru the air bubble box filters may be much lower
    what do you think about this?
    Thanks and cheers!
    I agree with you . Air volume and water movement might not be equal .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are looking for a pump and able to load some filter media , the Eheim Biopower internal filter might be the one you are looking for . You can choose to use more filter media or less by removing or adding section of the media holder module .

https://www.google.com/search?q=ehei...UsSx9kPF0wgzM: