Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: First High tech 3 feet tank. Questions about fertilizing and nutrient deficit!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red face First High tech 3 feet tank. Questions about fertilizing and nutrient deficit!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys! I have always had low tech tanks and figured to start a high tech tank. Tank has been running for about 3 weeks. Started out without a chiller and it went downhill pretty fast for my plants (tested about 29 degree celcius even with cooling fan)
    So i hooked up a chiller last week, set it to 24 degree celcius.

Current Tank Specs
    Custom Built tank: 100m(L) x 42m(B) x 45m(H)
    Light: Twinstar 900sp (7 hrs light)
    Filter: 1 1000 OF hydra filtron and 1 1500 OF hydra filtron (hahaha a bit overkill but will be shifting the 1000 to another tank)
    CO2: Currently 3-4 bps (Drop Checker lime-green, almost yellow) - on 2 hrs before lights on and off 2 hrs before lights off
    Substrate: Thin layer of ADA powersand and ADA soil

Fauna
    Monte Carlo (carpet)
    DHG
    Staurogyn Repens
    Bolbitis
    Anubias
    Bucep
    Rotala
    Hydrocotyl Tripartite
    Moss (Fissiden/ Xmas/ Spiky)
    Alternanthera reineckii
    Pogostemon Helferi

I have since got rid of all the melted monte and replanted new ones, cut off almost all my bolbitis and theres some new leaves starting to unfurl now. Fingers crossed >< My mosses are starting to turn green again from their very very brown state. However, my anubias are still showing signs of yellowing leaves and some brown patches. Previously my Staurogyn had brown patches that widens and consume the whole leaf (necrosis) too which i was told is potassium deficit, i have since cut off all affected leaf and now waiting for new leaves to grow out.Roots are healthy and have grown so we shall see!

Day 1 to Day 18: No fertiliser dosed
    Day 19: Added 3ppm Potassium, ~1ppm NO3, ~0.1ppm PO4
    Day 20: Added 2ppm Potassium, 2ppm NO3
    Day 21 (today) Added 1.5ppm Potassium (will be keeping 1.5ppm for K daily dosage)

Day 21 Tank Parameters:
    pH: 6.6
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    Phosphate: <0.5ppm

Are these tank parameters and dosage alright? A bit confused with dosing plans, trying to prevent mass algae outbreaks. Theres a bit of diatoms present in my tank but added in some otos to do clean up. Wanted to add amanos but a bit scared that they will start munching on my recovering brown moss! Is this safe? I plan to not dose Nitrogen anymore depending on my NO3 readings since i read that ADA soil do release NO3, or does it not? Ehhh~
    Hmm for some reason 90% of my new DHG still melted. Hmmmm. The DHG was tissue culture Tropica's. Is this normal? I know they are going emmersed to submerged but thats a hell lota melting :'(
    Oh! And do your know when would the moss fully recover? The green tips are looking pretty promising!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First High tech 3 feet tank. Questions about fertilizing and nutrient deficit!

If you dose according to EI, you won’t have to conduct NPK tests.

Did you plant heavy from the start?

I would recommend you slowly increase photoperiod if the plants are not doing well, for fear of algae taking advantage of your lack of plant growth due to melting etc.

Try Rotala Butterfly for fert calculator.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First High tech 3 feet tank. Questions about fertilizing and nutrient deficit!

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    If you dose according to EI, you won’t have to conduct NPK tests.

Did you plant heavy from the start?

I would recommend you slowly increase photoperiod if the plants are not doing well, for fear of algae taking advantage of your lack of plant growth due to melting etc.

Try Rotala Butterfly for fert calculator.
    Thanks for replying!
    I think i might not have planted heavily enough. Going to get more plants in!
    Currently the only fast growing plants are my rotala wallichii and rotala rotundifolia. My moss is doing great, 70% of them has turned green in about a week's time.
    My new batch of monte has finally started growing after i started adding phosphorous but right now, there seems to be green hair algae forming on some of the old monte leaves. Added some amanos and otos in, will they help with the hair algae?
    Yups, im using the rotala butterfly, amazing tool!