Thread: CoolWorks’ IceProbe Small Aquarium Chiller

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Carlfsk where did you got your iceprobe from? I'm keen to get one for my one ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check out this link for a review on the iceprobe ...http://www.reefcentral.com/library/r.../IceProbe/?M=A

can bring temp down but don't look very promising if you are looking for chilling effect. especially when we stay in such HOT weather.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by carlfsk
    Hi guys, I am currently using it for my 2ft by 1ft by 1ft tank. Water fill to the brim, and it's about 2 - 3inches of gravel with some rock works. The remaing water capacity should be about 40 litres.

I use 1 ice probe with temperature controller. It manage to maintain the temp of the tank at 28degrees currently. BUt it's working 24hrs a day as what I observe. How to know it's working? There's a light indicator by the side. It's on all the while, it seems.

I have tried it on a 1ft cube tank with some rock works too. It was during the the rainy season which the weather is cooling. The temp could reach 25 degrees and the ice probe is not slogging the whole day! Maybe there's allowance for me to set it lower.
    Doesn't sound very promising for my 2Ft tank. It is a 20G tank and meanwhile using 3 PC fans to cool it. Also manage to get around 28C on recent hot days and between 26-27 on cooler months.

But may be useful for my nano 13L shrimp tank which I am cooling it by turning on the room aircon at night to pull down the temp to around 24-25C and it will heat up through the dayto about 28C with a PC fan too. The temp difference is quite great for a day but the shrimps and mosses seems to be doing well so far.

But evaporation for both tanks are quite a lot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks
    Doesn't sound very promising for my 2Ft tank. It is a 20G tank and meanwhile using 3 PC fans to cool it. Also manage to get around 28C on recent hot days and between 26-27 on cooler months.

But may be useful for my nano 13L shrimp tank which I am cooling it by turning on the room aircon at night to pull down the temp to around 24-25C and it will heat up through the dayto about 28C with a PC fan too. The temp difference is quite great for a day but the shrimps and mosses seems to be doing well so far.

But evaporation for both tanks are quite a lot.

Yup, when comparing the efficiency and worth, consider the set backs of using fan as well.

I witness an incident when someone we knew here was trying to maintain his tank and accidentally knocking the fan into the tank... he was shouting to me... "ouch, i kena short liao, ouch, kena short liao...." luckily I was there to remove the plug while he was still stupidly holding the fan in the water.

Another issue would be the evapouration rate. I am running 2x DC fan (the one NA selling) 24/7 on my 5G tank recently due to the sudden surge of temperature and I have to top up about 2 tow hway tubs of water every day .

I must admit that this gadget would be extremely useful for nano tanks though. but paying that price for a nano tank?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly, it is great for 1ft cube tank or similar capacity. Later used 1 for my 2by1by1. Then started another small tank in the room, that is 3ft by 9inch by 1ft...that's y slowly more and more...now I got don't know how many tank in the house, my father tell my neighbours it's an aquarium, come visit...

So now considering what to do..but can't bear to let any tank go cos I know it will someday, somehow come back again...sigh...
    Last edited by benny; 4th Feb 2006 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by carlfsk
    Frankly, it is great for 1ft cube tank or similar capacity. Later used 1 for my 2by1by1. Then started another small tank in the room, that is 3ft by 9inch by 1ft...that's y slowly more and more...now I got don't know how many tank in the house, my father tell my neighbours it's an aquarium, come visit...

So now considering what to do..but can't bear to let any tank go cos I know it will someday, somehow come back again...sigh...
    Well, I'm now in the similar phase like you did. Actually, I only started this planted tank interest just after this CNY and now already has 3 tanks...

It would nice to customise 1ft tankfor the IceProbe (meaning drill a hole in the tank).
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Star-flog
    Well, I'm now in the similar phase like you did. Actually, I only started this planted tank interest just after this CNY and now already has 3 tanks...

It would nice to customise 1ft tankfor the IceProbe (meaning drill a hole in the tank).
    Is drilling a hole in the tank a good option? That means if the unit need repair, you can't use the tank. Even if you decided to replace the unit, you need to empty the tank or at least get the water level below the hole level.

Anyways, if anyone here can help? Can't seems to find the shop call reefdepot in the yellow pages. Did they close shop?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is drilling a hole in the tank a good option? That means if the unit need repair, you can't use the tank. Even if you decided to replace the unit, you need to empty the tank or at least get the water level below the hole level.

Anyways, if anyone here can help? Can't seems to find the shop call reefdepot in the yellow pages. Did they close shop?
    Yep, when the hole is drilled on the tank glass, it's going to use permamently with this IceProbe, no other way!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can mount the ice probe with a brace over the top of the tank... no need to drill the tank. Alternatively, mount it in a sump. Or look at my earlier post in this thread... where they mount it on a HOB filter.

There are other ways... just use your imagination.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I said "local online shop" ReefDepot... so, try http://www.reefdepot.com.sg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz

The last time I asked... about S$330 for one unit and one temp controller. Temp controller can only control one unit each. ReefDepot might have them (I don't have their details... check www.yellowpages.com.sg).
    Ok thanks for the new link, I was using the provided link above.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Opps... My bad... I was the one who directed you guys to yellowpages for ReefDepot details.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bros

I email then regarding the price and shipping. The price for
    IPAC-50W-240V sells for US $138.00, about S$226. They do ship to Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by H2SO4
    Hi bros

Does that price include the thermal control unit too? Or it is just the cooling unit itself only.
    Last edited by cairocks; 7th May 2005 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the whole set including the themostat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by H2SO4
    Hi bros

Wow, this seems to be a good buy if full package + shipping for S$226. what is their website?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hope you guys knows how these things work. the probe tip is the cold side and there is another hot side. this hot side is the heatsink on top of the device and is used to dissipate the heat 'taken' from the water. there is a temperature differential of about 60 deg c, iirc. that means if the cold probe tip is at 20 deg c, the heat sink side will be at 80 deg c.

so to use this device properly, you'll have to think how to remove the heat away the heat sink properly.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It comes with a PC cooling fan to cool the heat sink. Is that enough?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the pc fan removes heat from the heat sink.
    but warm air is being 'dumped' to the surrounding and tank will 'soak' the heat in again. given the low cooling capacity, you'll need to think about making a 'channel' to direct the warm air away from the tank.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Bro,

can consider the Resun CL-85 as an alternative, it is works using TEC as well, looks compact and cool upto 60l, the CL-150 can cool up to 100l. price for the CL-85 is $218 from AquaMarin (Jln Kayu).
    Last edited by Ian Lim; 5th Feb 2006 at 22:59.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast