Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lim
    hi Bro,

can consider the Resun CL-85 as an alternative, it is works using TEC as well, looks compact and cool upto 60l, the CL-150 can cool up to 100l. price for the CL-85 is $218 from AquaMarin (Jln Kayu).
    Any idea are they bringing in the CL-150? CL-85 seems underpowered for my 80l tank..... Went around few shops and only see the CL-85 around.
    BTW, any idea whatare teh main pros and cons of chillers using TEC over the conventional compressors chillers? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well , Thermoelectric modules ( TEM) is based on peltier effect. Google it and you find all the information you want.

Some pros :

1. Small profile
    2. "Silent" operation
    3. Good temperature control . Its mostly use for precision temperature control in laser diodes, opto-electronics , etc )
    4. No moving parts therefore realiable
    5. CFC free

Cons :

1. Does not score well in terms of efficiency . No 1 is Stirling coolers No.2 is vapour compression. Last is TEM .

2. Looking for a stable PSU to power you TEM will be a challenge.. these are power hungry devices . althought rated 12V , the max current drawn range from 4A to 30A

3.Not suitable for cooling large heatloads.

thats all i can think of for the moment. feel free to correct or add on.

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by xtrekker
    Well , Thermoelectric modules ( TEM) is based on peltier effect. Google it and you find all the information you want.

Some pros :

1. Small profile
    2. "Silent" operation
    3. Good temperature control . Its mostly use for precision temperature control in laser diodes, opto-electronics , etc )
    4. No moving parts therefore realiable
    5. CFC free

Cons :

1. Does not score well in terms of efficiency . No 1 is Stirling coolers No.2 is vapour compression. Last is TEM .

2. Looking for a stable PSU to power you TEM will be a challenge.. these are power hungry devices . althought rated 12V , the max current drawn range from 4A to 30A

3.Not suitable for cooling large heatloads.

thats all i can think of for the moment. feel free to correct or add on.

cheers
    xtrekker

Thanks for your reply. Will do more research on it.
    Hummm...On the power hungry part, had thought they use less power. If the draw is so high..will be a problem for me since I've got only one wall socket within the vicinity of my tank driving the lights and the filter at the present moment....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks
    Thanks for your reply. Will do more research on it.
    Hummm...On the power hungry part, had thought they use less power. If the draw is so high..will be a problem for me since I've got only one wall socket within the vicinity of my tank driving the lights and the filter at the present moment....

lets say your PSU drawing 30A at 12V . Total power is 360W. assuming 100% efficient in your setdown convertor , total current drawn from your wall socket is only 360W / 230V = 1.6A (rms)

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    erm... any conclusions? Looking for cooling solution for my upcoming 1.5ft shimp tank project...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vratenza
    erm... any conclusions? Looking for cooling solution for my upcoming 1.5ft shimp tank project...
    Humm..got a friend that had used to work in a small local setup, (to my best knowledge) producing TEM chillers for tanks 3ft and up. He is no longer working there, due to some issues, but he seems pretty confident in TEM technology everytime I asked him about it.
    But from the discussions over here, seems TEM technology is not drawing too much confidence. Personally, have not tried chillers of any kind, hoping that resun CL-150 will be introduce locally at a not too high price, so that I can try it out and draw some first hand experience on it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks
    Humm..got a friend that had used to work in a small local setup, (to my best knowledge) producing TEM chillers for tanks 3ft and up. He is no longer working there, due to some issues, but he seems pretty confident in TEM technology everytime I asked him about it.
    But from the discussions over here, seems TEM technology is not drawing too much confidence. Personally, have not tried chillers of any kind, hoping that resun CL-150 will be introduce locally at a not too high price, so that I can try it out and draw some first hand experience on it.
    Well in IMO , TEM is only suitable for Small tanks where a bulky vapour phase chiller is too big for your 1ft - 1.5ft setup . check out this link for more information.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=228620

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Arrow

Reef Depot selling IceProbe;
    w Temp. Controller @ S$269
    w/o temp. controller @ S$209

http://reefdepot.com.sg/

Tempted to buy for my 1 ft moss tank, but will just do with a diy fan now...

Anyone bought it? How was it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrekker
    Well in IMO , TEM is only suitable for Small tanks where a bulky vapour phase chiller is too big for your 1ft - 1.5ft setup . check out this link for more information.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=228620

cheers
    xtrekker
    that's what I thought too. During the time he was working there (couple of years back), I sort of tried to see if his company has anything suitable for my 2ft tank. But was told their system is minimum size for 3ft tank. So ended up still looking for something suitable for my 2ft tank till now. Meanwhile had been fairly successful keeping the water at 28C with fans.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re: CoolWorks’ IceProbe Small Aquarium Chiller

Hi. I've bought a Resun CL 150 online. I only have about 50-60 litres of water in my axolotl's tank, so it should be doing fine. I've run it for about 36 hours now and it doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of chilling. I am still having to put iced water bottles in the top of the tank to keep it cool and the out-line doesn't seem to be cooler than the water coming into the cooler. Does anyone have any ideas for me??? Or where would I take it in Melbourne Australia to get it serviced???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There is one other issue with TEM / Peltier based cooling units. They can generally only cool a small volume of water (comparative to a compressor based unit) to 2C - 3C below ambient temperatures.

The cooling you will get from one of these TEM units is comparable or only slightly better than fan cooling, but with less evaporation of course.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi AQ Pals,

I'm thinking to doing up a few nano tank for my own place.

Please give me a hand to get those Iceprobe. Where can I get them at the best price? Thanks a lot.
    sms me- 96818811

Regards,
    Tam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123