Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Algae Issue/ Twinstar Nano solution?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Algae Issue/ Twinstar Nano solution?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

I would like to check if anyone tried out the Twinstar Nano which was said to be effective in eliminating Algae spores as well as preventing fish diseases.

I would also like to check what is the differences between Twinstar Nano and Twinstar Yotta. Both are for aquarium up to 200litres but i can't tell the different.

please advise guys.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Algae Issue/ Twinstar Nano solution?

I had just bought the Freshwater master kit.

My pH value is at 6.4.
    Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all at 0ppm.
    Yet I am having black beard algae issue, green spot algae and the slimy green algae.

Anyone knows what i should do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is. The algae are irritating and stubborn. I can’t understand why aren’t they wiped out yet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Algae start to appear when:

Excess minerals. Lets assume your tank keeps only moss ball (slow growing; intake of minerals = slow) and you dose fert. Since the moss ball is not able to absorb all the minerals and fert, algae comes in.

Water stagnant. The minerals/fert was stagnant at the area where water flow is slower/no flowing. Theoretically, since plants are not able to take in all these, algae set in.

Twinstar package i believed it prevent and slow down the growth of algae. However, it do not eliminate algae growth.

Algae issue would usually be solve with snails/shrimps/algae eating fishes like pelcos or otos. Chemically, algaexit or some similar brand, hydro peroxide also do help to remove algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emperios View Post
    Yes it is. The algae are irritating and stubborn. I can’t understand why aren’t they wiped out yet
    How's the growth of the HC? Fully filled in? Because already 4 months, should be nice and thick by now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    How's the growth of the HC? Fully filled in? Because already 4 months, should be nice and thick by now.
    Oh damn you won't believe it. My HC ain't growing at all. They don't seems to be anchored at all. Their roots are just waving around even when i used my pinset to push them into the substrate!

What should i do now though? I didn't really use a lot of fertilizer at all. My lighting going on for 8 Hrs with CO2. The black beard algae are so annoying that I wanted to rip them apart. So frustrating.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    Algae start to appear when:

Excess minerals. Lets assume your tank keeps only moss ball (slow growing; intake of minerals = slow) and you dose fert. Since the moss ball is not able to absorb all the minerals and fert, algae comes in.

Water stagnant. The minerals/fert was stagnant at the area where water flow is slower/no flowing. Theoretically, since plants are not able to take in all these, algae set in.

Twinstar package i believed it prevent and slow down the growth of algae. However, it do not eliminate algae growth.

Algae issue would usually be solve with snails/shrimps/algae eating fishes like pelcos or otos. Chemically, algaexit or some similar brand, hydro peroxide also do help to remove algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As expected based on Emperiors latest post, his plants are not doing well, which is why I asked. This post is good, for a newbie that is, but both yourself and Emperiors aren't new here. Algae issue also aren't resolved by adding snails/shrimps/plecos and otos, you fix algae problems by having good upkeep and stable water parameters, this include first and foremost good plant growth, right PAR, right CO2 PPM, nitrate and minerals. Tank size of course helps because of stability.

The only time I use algaexit is in conjunction with Ista snail remover for quarantine of plants (tip from Urbanaquaria). For BBA, I use peroxide because even if you fix your water parameters, already grown BBA does not go away (tip from Tombarr), but new BBA will stop growing.

You can remove algae simply by siphoning or cleaning your glass. That beats adding any life stock to fix your problem. Hope this clarifies.

Thank you.
    Last edited by torque6; 20th Dec 2018 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh damn you won't believe it. My HC ain't growing at all. They don't seems to be anchored at all. Their roots are just waving around even when i used my pinset to push them into the substrate!

What should i do now though? I didn't really use a lot of fertilizer at all. My lighting going on for 8 Hrs with CO2. The black beard algae are so annoying that I wanted to rip them apart. So frustrating.
    I expected that your HC ain't growing, that's why I ask you. See my response to Genki.

At this stage, you are going to expect a lot of problems already, because your tank unfortunately did not start right. Please see my comments below boss.

1) Your LED still no change? Seems low PAR from the last pic from your thread
    2) The slope on the right hand side below have any ADA powersand type / lava rock for elevation? The reason I ask is because if all soil than may have problem later. You can google deep soil problems -> give raise to BGA, because no oxygen. With plants yellowing and dying off, you may have high organics in the tank already.
    3) Planted tank shouldn't be 0 PPM nitrate, my tank is 10-15pmm, always.
    4) I can't see your co2 drop checker color in your tank, what are your levels?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I joined this group long ago but weren't really having a tank or anything to start off it yet. Only this year have i dive into it.
    I'm using ONF lighting though.
    My tank is using ADA powersand. I have it all as foundation of the tank. Top it off with ADA amazon soil and end off with ADA powdered amazon soil.
    My co2 checker is at green though.

I am thinking of getting chiciro fish doctor or twinstar. Can't tell which is better or what not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It seems you have already made up your mind on purchasing the fish doctor or the Twinstar sterlizer to help with your algae. I don't use both, so I can't help you. Sorry.

My philosophy in this hobby has always been to resolve algae issues by ensuring good plant growth with good tank upkeep and maintenance. So I don't believe in quick fixes or band-aid like adding algae killers or algae eaters. My recent 2 year old 90-P showed me the stability of a large tank and how fast you can actually resolve algae outbreaks vs a small nano tank like a ADA 60-P.

But alas, no one listens nowadays. Post a picture of an algae infested tank on facebook, and most posters will say reset, add shrimps/otos, add seachem excel, add this add that. No one will actually go and identify whats' wrong with the tank. I feel nowadays hobbyists don't know anything....

In any case, best of luck with your tank. Hope you solve your problems soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So what's your recommendation for my 90P though. I had bought the freshwater first aid kit and shown my result. Can't figure what's wrong with it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I didn't buy my test kit to show me what is wrong with my tank.......

This is what they do for me.

NO3 -> if borderline yellowish->orangish, means I need to up my Potassium Nitrate. They need to be orange. I use Sera Test kit + API test kit. API test kit shows 10ppm more than Sera. Sera in my opinion is more accurate. API test kit bottle 2 has a problem with crystalization, so you have to shake the bottle for 2mins....

For planted and a mature tank.
    Ammonia and Nitrite = zero always. At least for me for the past 2 years. Never spike. But then my plant density is 80% from start, and I clean my canister like 3-4 months once.

GH/KH, I don't bother testing, because if using PH buffering soil, KH=0, GH = tap water around 3-4.

As you can see, I use my No3 more, for dosing purpose so my tank don't bottom out. No bottom out means plants uptake rate good with co2 (greenish yellow), so no shortage of nutrients for plants to grow. I just made sure when I reach back home in the evening, all plants pearling like crazy, so much so the water circulator I using in the tank is clogged with air bubbles.

Of course there is algae in my tank, but they are an indicator of what I am lagging and need to do. So once I correct my routine, like water changes, dosing, co2 level tuning. It gets fixed fast at least for a 90-P. Really a big thanks to the folks at Planted Forum. Indeed I learn more things with a large tank.

Dennis Wong is my shifu. He is an extremely humble individual and had taught me alot through his write up and videos.

Might be good to read up https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/ that is if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So what's your recommendation for my 90P though. I had bought the freshwater first aid kit and shown my result. Can't figure what's wrong with it
    You bought the ONF flat One LED 90S? $788

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah. I go to work early and end late. Won't be able to time it properly also. Sometimes work night shift. Might as well get automated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah. I go to work early and end late. Won't be able to time it properly also. Sometimes work night shift. Might as well get automated.
    Won't be able to time it properly? I don't understand really... A good analog timer or an ikea digital timer attached to the light plug with dimmer works pretty well and reliable for what's it's worth.

Nevertheless, looking at the specs, seems 50-67 PAR at 45cm depth, so be fine growing HC, but I noticed your pic you had the LED overhanging? How high is that from the depth of the soil? The pic of the tank looks very dim. If insufficient light and HC not growing well, you will have algae. If you lower the LED and have too much light intensity, you will also have algae if Co2 levels or nutrients level are not ideal.

Another thing I noticed that your initial tank set up has only a few strands of stem plants, so I wouldn't call it high density for a good start up.

If this was my tank, and if I didn't have any livestock, I would just drain the tank till the top soil level and grow the HC immersed form. Dry start. I would also break up the clumps of HC into smaller bunch; like 4-5 strands and plant them. Should be a back breaking exercise and would take around half a day to get every thing done. Then spray moist the plants and cover the tank with Glad wrap. I will then routinely spray moist the tank twice a day, before I go to work and after I get back, then reseal. Do it for a month.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am still trying to find a way to stop the algae. My stem plants grew too much within a two weeks and i had to cut them. I think my carpet plants just died hahaha