Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Water parameters all over the place.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water parameters all over the place.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,
    Just bought a tds pen today and took a reading in my tank.
    It reads 208.
    i as well took a jbl 6 in 1 test strip and tested the water, because i am slightly colour blind, i took a picture of the result.
    I have crystal and cherry reds in my tank and i am worried if anyone is gonna go to the pearly gates soon if this is my water parameters? One crystal red died 2 days ago.
    Please help.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water parameters all over the place.

Test strip not accurate.

Ur crs died consist of thousand and 1 factor. 1st and foremost, did you acclimatise properly?

Next will be the source of the crs.
    How old is ur crs?
    What is the ph level?
    What is the temperature of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    Test strip not accurate.

Ur crs died consist of thousand and 1 factor. 1st and foremost, did you acclimatise properly?

Next will be the source of the crs.
    How old is ur crs?
    What is the ph level?
    What is the temperature of the tank?

"did you acclimatise properly?"
    To my limited newbie understanding, im gonna say yes. Drip acclimate them for 2hrs plus.

"Next will be the source of the crs."
    Got them at LFS in clementi

"How old is ur crs?"
    Wah i really dont know, can one actually know how old are shrimps by looking? Please teach me!

"What is the ph level?"
    According to test strips always below 6.
    Have a seachem ph indicator stuck on my tank, it also always shows less than 6.

"What is the temperature of the tank?"
    Night 24°c
    Day 26 to 27°c

Really sad n worried, everything was ok after that one crs died. In fact, the rest of the crs molted alright. Than today, one red cherry died. (I just found the tail part) dont know where the head went.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jojowhisky View Post
    "did you acclimatise properly?"
    To my limited newbie understanding, im gonna say yes. Drip acclimate them for 2hrs plus.

"Next will be the source of the crs."
    Got them at LFS in clementi

"How old is ur crs?"
    Wah i really dont know, can one actually know how old are shrimps by looking? Please teach me!

"What is the ph level?"
    According to test strips always below 6.
    Have a seachem ph indicator stuck on my tank, it also always shows less than 6.

"What is the temperature of the tank?"
    Night 24°c
    Day 26 to 27°c

Really sad n worried, everything was ok after that one crs died. In fact, the rest of the crs molted alright. Than today, one red cherry died. (I just found the tail part) dont know where the head went.

2 hrs plus does not mean u properly acclimate it. If your tank water is ph 5.5 with tds 200, the bag of shrimp is ph 6.5 with tds 300, do u think 2 hrs or even 3 hrs is sufficient to ensure your tank parameter and the bag of water parameters match? Sorry sound abit harsh but pardon me. Acclimatising is a slow process whereby it might take up to 24/48 hrs to ensure all the water parameters matches.

Jumbo size shrimp (senior) and see through scale shrimp (senior or fail moulting) are weaker shrimp... meaning they do not have much life span or they are more sensitive.

Test strip is always a guide line be it 6 in 1 or even seachem in tank monitor... either u get a ph test pen or ph test solution to see the real ph level.

If the tank temperature fluctuate rather momentarily then its fine. Just not drastic will do.

In a bag of 10 shrimp, just prepare the casualty of up to 50% from lfs as they are usually not handle with care.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2 hrs plus does not mean u properly acclimate it. If your tank water is ph 5.5 with tds 200, the bag of shrimp is ph 6.5 with tds 300, do u think 2 hrs or even 3 hrs is sufficient to ensure your tank parameter and the bag of water parameters match? Sorry sound abit harsh but pardon me. Acclimatising is a slow process whereby it might take up to 24/48 hrs to ensure all the water parameters matches.

Jumbo size shrimp (senior) and see through scale shrimp (senior or fail moulting) are weaker shrimp... meaning they do not have much life span or they are more sensitive.

Test strip is always a guide line be it 6 in 1 or even seachem in tank monitor... either u get a ph test pen or ph test solution to see the real ph level.

If the tank temperature fluctuate rather momentarily then its fine. Just not drastic will do.

In a bag of 10 shrimp, just prepare the casualty of up to 50% from lfs as they are usually not handle with care.

Thank you for the direction, not harsh at all.
    Going by what you mentioned, 24-48hrs drip acclimating, it was really a serious overlook on my part.
    I had natively thought that i had strip tested the shops water with my tank water and saw that the only major difference was the nitrates NO3. Shops NO3 was crazy high at like 100ppm. ( again going by colour).

Appreciative of your guidiance coz i started out this journey reading materials and watching youtube videos. Really starting from scratch, so glad to join this forum, info n help here is appreciated.
    God bless.

On a side, i am very guilty of having an overstocked tank now i think.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"In a bag of 10 shrimp, just prepare the casualty of up to 50% from lfs as they are usually not handle with care."
    ~Wow, this is a sad lesson for me.

"Jumbo size shrimp (senior) and see through scale shrimp (senior or fail moulting) are weaker shrimp... meaning they do not have much life span or they are more sensitive."
    ~i will remember this when i go shrimp buying
    Wanna get thru this trying stage first though, dont wanna buy more n not get my tank settled.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank you have. Btw looking at your tank, your shrimp will definitely not survive. Tetra and shrimp don go hand in hand

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank you have. Btw looking at your tank, your shrimp will definitely not survive. Tetra and shrimp don go hand in hand

Alright another major fault on my part than.
    Its terrible!! Lfs shop said they would be ok and articles i read said they would be ok.
    I wonder where can i put them now, i do not have another tank for them and no seeded filter.
    Guess i will have to think up of something real fast. *faint*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp keeping: yes its ok to have tetra or other small fish with shrimps.

Shrimp breeder: as long as the mouth of the fish can fits, its a meal for the fish. Therefore it will only be shrimp only tank.

Community tanks can have shrimps to control algae but it has to be heavily planted. And we are talking about 2ft and up.

Anyway, since you are using co2, it might be the cause of ur low ph

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I reckon you are Elton from facebook? I think you have ask these questions.To be honest, CRS wouldn't survive in your tank, Cherries maybe. The water parameters is flunctutating because your tank is too small. It's ok for hardy fish, not so for shrimps. On top of that, you have tetras in the tank. Having a heavily planted tank do help to a certain extend but I've seen my cardinal Tetras hunting and killing berried shrimps in my 3 feet over the course of these 2 years of keeping them. ADA has misled many hobbyist with their aquascape tanks with shrimps, fish, co2 and ferts. Everyone thought they can be kept together. Unfortunately up till now, I haven't seen a ADA aquascape tank with ferts dosing, co2, tetras and have shrimps population doubled or have population increases rates to that of a shrimp breeder tank. Because if there was, there wouldn't be such a thing as shrimp breeder tanks.Your last comment on FB was to increase TDS? If I drop half a bottle of Seachem Prime 250ML into your tank, I would probably increase TDS to 4000ppm. TDS has surely increase, but is that what you want?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I reckon you are Elton from facebook? I think you have ask these questions.To be honest, CRS wouldn't survive in your tank, Cherries maybe. The water parameters is flunctutating because your tank is too small. It's ok for hardy fish, not so for shrimps. On top of that, you have tetras in the tank. Having a heavily planted tank do help to a certain extend but I've seen my cardinal Tetras hunting and killing berried shrimps in my 3 feet over the course of these 2 years of keeping them. ADA has misled many hobbyist with their aquascape tanks with shrimps, fish, co2 and ferts. Everyone thought they can be kept together. Unfortunately up till now, I haven't seen a ADA aquascape tank with ferts dosing, co2, tetras and have shrimps population doubled or have population increases rates to that of a shrimp breeder tank. Because if there was, there wouldn't be such a thing as shrimp breeder tanks.Your last comment on FB was to increase TDS? If I drop half a bottle of Seachem Prime 250ML into your tank, I would probably increase TDS to 4000ppm. TDS has surely increase, but is that what you want?
    Hi torque6,
    Thanks for your input, cant agree with you more. I think that when ADA and all the big guys showcase their creations with a community of different species, coupled with all the marketing, new people like me are led to believe that these can truely cohabit tgt peacefully.
    When i just got into the hobby, i was also led to believe that beginners should start with a nano or small tank ie easier to maintain. Ignorance on my part, as i progress n read more on the hobby, a smaller tank is not great for a beginber as parameters will flucuate and if a crash happens, bad thibgs can happen very quickly.
    Well, lessons i am learning everyday.

Ps i am not Elton from facebook. But thanks for ur input and advice. I have separated the tetras all 12 of them on the advice of genki89 as well.
    Can see that the 4 crs and 4 rcs coming out more into the tank to explore. I have indeed put them under a very stressful environment for the past few weeks i guess. Hope all goes well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jojowhisky View Post
    Hi torque6,
    Thanks for your input, cant agree with you more. I think that when ADA and all the big guys showcase their creations with a community of different species, coupled with all the marketing, new people like me are led to believe that these can truely cohabit tgt peacefully.
    When i just got into the hobby, i was also led to believe that beginners should start with a nano or small tank ie easier to maintain. Ignorance on my part, as i progress n read more on the hobby, a smaller tank is not great for a beginber as parameters will flucuate and if a crash happens, bad thibgs can happen very quickly.
    Well, lessons i am learning everyday.

Ps i am not Elton from facebook. But thanks for ur input and advice. I have separated the tetras all 12 of them on the advice of genki89 as well.
    Can see that the 4 crs and 4 rcs coming out more into the tank to explore. I have indeed put them under a very stressful environment for the past few weeks i guess. Hope all goes well.

Small tanks ok for aquascaping and maintain/ tear down example will be less time consuming and cheaper. But if keeping live stock, then no. You can browse through some of the journals and you will find "that" selected few 不知天高地厚,

who tried to go against what most people say only to realize how difficult it is to maintain parameters. But already too late, their so call ignorance aka social experiment =shrimps and tetra all dead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Small tanks ok for aquascaping and maintain/ tear down example will be less time consuming and cheaper. But if keeping live stock, then no. You can browse through some of the journals and you will find "that" selected few 不知天高地厚,

who tried to go against what most people say only to realize how difficult it is to maintain parameters. But already too late, their so call ignorance aka social experiment =shrimps and tetra all dead.
    Hahaha would definately not want to be social experimenting with livestock.
    Other than algae(rolls eyes) i am striving to see the shrimps thrive.
    Also i pray hard the tetras wait for me to scape a new tank n cycle it, pray they dont die on me.
    I will never put another fish with a shrimp again.
    On a side note, today the shrimps are so happy walking around. Before that they were hiding out in the bonsai tree, could hardly see them around. Hope the 3 berried rcs will deliver babies safely.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hopefully your shrimplets can make it... internal filter is not shrimp safe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hopefully your shrimplets can make it... internal filter is not shrimp safe

Will brand new stockings help? (Got tons of it in my wardrobe) --" can i wrap the intake bottom with the stocking?
    Sorry to sound stupid but i thought that the bottom layer of the internal filter has a coarse sponge in it.(thought it will be ok)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yap it works fine but your filter might not be operating at its optimal

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yap it works fine but your filter might not be operating at its optimal

Thank you
    Will give it a go.
    Dont really have a seeded filter to use anyways.