Country
    Singapore

Planaria alert and please help!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,
    It began with a beautiful sunday, the 4 crs and rcs are doing so good. One berried rcs just gave birth few hours ago!

However, to my horror, i think i have planaria in my tank?! They spring out fr everywhere. Have been keeping my tank clean and doing regular water changes, where do these nasty *** critters come from and why appear now when i have fry all over the tank?!

Any advice on how i can kill these nasty buggers? Went to green chapter today to buy benibachi zero planaria, heard its safe for shrimps but they were out of stock

Any one knows what to do or who sells this product????

Thanks, it is a stressful time now

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planaria alert and please help!

Photo of the nasty buggers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Got this fr polyart aquarium.
    Will test it out and give the review here.
    Hopefully it will not kill any of my adorable shrimps and babies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Today is day 3 since i dosed the product "planaria off!" (Polyart at clementi)

Great product as this is baby shrimp and shrimp mummy safe. I have 2 horn snails in my tank and they are alive and well.

This may be a better local option for us since benibachi's planaria zero is ofs everywhere here, benibachi has suggested removing ornamental snails in the tank prior to dosing as it may kill them so this product does have an edge over benibachi.

Notes to point out:
    Increase surface agitation oxygen level during dosage.
    Mix it up with some tank water before pouring it into the tank for good distribution.(product does not dissolve well if you were to jus put the powder straight into ur tank)
    This is NOT SAFE FOR FISH.

Hope everyone does not have to deal with these nasty wormies in their shrimp tanks.

Happy shrimpin!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the best method is always to use non chemical products for anything.

I.e pest snail = introduce fish/snail to reduce the population or eliminate the snail.

Planaria = reduce feeding and remove food not consumed within 3-6 hrs (no hard and fuzz rules. Just need to remove within a timing)

Your tank had planaria, your tank could also have seed shrimp or even hydra. So if you are always thinking of addictive, you might have your tank ended up with tonnes of chemicals build up and your TDS and GH shoot up.

We are talking about pest, how about algae? I remember you kept guppies/tretas, what about fin rot? White spot?

Its easier to manage bioload and PH level than TDS and GH. Having your current tank TDS and GH lowered does not mean you have remove 100% of any particular trace elements.

Hope my 2cent worth helps you better understand why the last resort is chemical introduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for ur input.
    The joke of this matter is that i do not think its planaria, i had rhabdocoela instead.
    (They look so similar) i had to assume that coz they did not die off when this was dosed.(heard they are not reactive to planaria meds) They also do not have a triangular head with 2 eye dots on inspection.
    Gonna observe for a week more.
    Girls and worms just do not share a good relationship, i was so grossed out by the sight of it, just wanted to kill it all asap.
    But if it is indeed rhabdocoela than im happy to leave it alone since they do not harm shrimps.

The tetras are getting ready to be put in their new tank setup after you adviced to remove them from the shrimp tank.
    The shrimp actually hatched 2 days after i removed the tetras, thanks for ur input on this matter i was spared a blood bath had i delayed on ur advice.

No fin rot or white spot on the tetras they are healthy.

Tds n gh readings are a science to me.
    So instead of trying to go to levels that are recommended. I will work with wat i have usually and keep these 2 levels stable. I think since im new better not be playing around with these.
    Stability is better than drastic changes for shrimp tanks i think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jojowhisky View Post
    Thanks for ur input.
    The joke of this matter is that i do not think its planaria, i had rhabdocoela instead.
    (They look so similar) i had to assume that coz they did not die off when this was dosed.(heard they are not reactive to planaria meds) They also do not have a triangular head with 2 eye dots on inspection.
    Gonna observe for a week more.
    Girls and worms just do not share a good relationship, i was so grossed out by the sight of it, just wanted to kill it all asap.
    But if it is indeed rhabdocoela than im happy to leave it alone since they do not harm shrimps.

The tetras are getting ready to be put in their new tank setup after you adviced to remove them from the shrimp tank.
    The shrimp actually hatched 2 days after i removed the tetras, thanks for ur input on this matter i was spared a blood bath had i delayed on ur advice.

No fin rot or white spot on the tetras they are healthy.

Tds n gh readings are a science to me.
    So instead of trying to go to levels that are recommended. I will work with wat i have usually and keep these 2 levels stable. I think since im new better not be playing around with these.
    Stability is better than drastic changes for shrimp tanks i think.

Yes, stability is better than trying to meet certain parameters. Good job.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow 25sgd for the packet its getting expensive here....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    Wow 25sgd for the packet its getting expensive here....
    Yeah....*signs* wat to do, they leverage on ur fear than price these solutions accordingly.
    But this is not going to kill ur baby shrimps n shrimps la, so i guess its safe at least.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, those seems looks like detritus worms. So the solution from polyart kill them? Or u plan to use your tetra to eat them up?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuswong View Post
    Hi, those seems looks like detritus worms. So the solution from polyart kill them? Or u plan to use your tetra to eat them up?
    Ah yes. I got the product from polyart and dosed the tank.
    Only to find out we do not have planaria in the tank but rhabdocoela instead. (Ownself scare ownself)
    I would however be able to tell you that the product does not kill shrimps and baby shrimps also the horned nerite snails were ok as well.
    Cheers.