Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: German Blue Rams for sale in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

German Blue Rams for sale in Singapore?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there

I created an account just to ask this question. Does anyone know where I can buy German Blue Rams in Singapore? I've checked C328, FreshnMarine, Aquatic Avenue, Fishy business, Simply cichlids and none of them are selling GBR. Many are selling electric blue, Holland and balloon Rams, but not GBR. If you've seen any in any shop/ know a local breeder, I'd really appreciate if you shared.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: German Blue Rams for sale in Singapore?

What do you mean when you say "German Blue Rams"? Depending on how you define it, there might be many to no keepers locally. (I'm not into domestic morphs at all, e.g. I have no idea what the difference between Holland and German Rams are - to me the words are more marketing than anything else.)

Rams are widely bred in farms in our region, and their low prices drive out of the market any local breeding of strictly German-descent rams. Even so-called Holland Rams probably have been in Asia for many generations.

However, if you're just looking for a particular appearance, you only need to keep an eye out. Rams come in batches from the suppliers, so the various morphs turn up more or less regularly, and sooner or later you'll get the morph you want.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I mean the conventional GBR that's mentioned online I suppose. Normal bodied, blue and yellow and pink. Honestly, aside from the obvious differences between GBR and the other morphs, I'm not sure how to describe what I mean by "German Blue Rams". Thanks for your input. I will keep my eye out.

I've heard a lot of negative reviews of SEA farm bred GBR, hearing that the genetic pool is weak and that many are even injected to display stronger colours. I wonder how true that is and is why I want a local breeder's GBR. Shame if that doesn't exist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Among my local friends and acquaintances in the cichlid-keeping crowd, virtually none maintain self-bred lines beyond a few generations, and I have not yet seen any shipments of M. ramirezi that come in from Europe (and yes I'm the bothersome guy who always asks the LFSes where their stock comes from), so your chances of obtaining Europe-bred or pure-line Europe-descent fish is extremely low.

However, I have seen locally many beautiful pairs of rams, and quite a lot of them do learn how to raise fry well. So don't let reports about weak genetics or poor parenting behaviours keep you from trying this fish. In fact, a locally sourced pair of breeding rams were my "gateway drug" into the world of cichlids (mostly Apistogramma spp.). And in fact, many cichlids take a few spawning attempts before they learn to brood eggs and raise fry properly - it's not just rams. If you talk to people who work with apistos, or angels, discus, etc you'll find they talk about how the fish take a few spawns before the parents learn to do their thing.

And it might be worthwhile to give juvenile rams a chance (if they have decent body shape, fins, and the black markings arent weird). Many of them colour up very nicely once they mature. Food might be a factor too: https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.e...9_4_Harpaz.pdf

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the tips again!

I do hope to find some good rams soon. What makes them so attractive to me is the fact that they thrive in our hotter waters. From what I understand, most cichlids prefer it slightly cooler.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you could visit Glass Box at Blk 22 near Boon Keng MRT. The boss there keeps a couple of breeding pairs in the shop - his personal projects (but you could make him an offer, I guess, or ask him where to get some good ones).

Re: temperature, while cichlids are a very diverse group, and some prefer warmer or cooler water, there are many species which do well in our local climate without chillers. Unless your water is especially warm, or you're keeping very particular fish, I wouldn't worry too much.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ian

Just like to share with you my experience on GBR.

Firstly, base on my photos, I hope those are the kind of GBR that you are looking for.

So, I got this 2 GBR sold to me as a pair @ That Aquarium Changi. They are usually available in places such as That Aquarium and C328 Auntie.

They are sold in pairs, left floating in a small bag in the tank. I believe I got mine at 5 or 6 bucks after discount.

I haven't been to C328 or That Aquarium recently, so I can't confirm if they are available at this moment. Saw them at Glassbox too, and boofeng confirmed this as well! So yeah u shld try these places if u have the time!

Hope u find them soon! Good luck IMG_20171116_213523.jpgIMG_20171116_222951.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by imtai; 30th Nov 2018 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just went to C328 earlier today ..... they have 'German Rams' in bags...a pair for $28.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i can just confirm that one of the times i went to c328 i saw a pair of nice german rams being sold, but c328 stock varies from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if what you are looking for when you say german rams are wild caught, i think that i know a guy, you can buy a pair of wild caught german blue rams for $15 at t m a river monsters on telegram, i have bought a pair from him already.

have they bred yet?