Country
    Singapore

Alpha pure drinking water.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellow hobbyists,
    Made a trip to ntuc today and all of ntuc house brand PURE was out of stock.
    Chanced upon this ALPHA brand pure drinking water. Bought it anyway for testing.
    Tds test pen: 004
    JBL 6in1 test strip:
    Cl 0
    Ph less than 6.4
    Kh 1-2
    Gh less than 3
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate less than 10

Price:85cents for a 1.5litre bottle.
    Apparently it markets itself as having gone through reverse osmosis.
    For everyone's awareness, have a great week ahead!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Alpha pure drinking water.

Thanks for the information

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jojowhisky View Post
    Hi fellow hobbyists,
    Made a trip to ntuc today and all of ntuc house brand PURE was out of stock.
    Chanced upon this ALPHA brand pure drinking water. Bought it anyway for testing.
    Tds test pen: 004
    JBL 6in1 test strip:
    Cl 0
    Ph less than 6.4
    Kh 1-2
    Gh less than 3
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate less than 10

Price:85cents for a 1.5litre bottle.
    Apparently it markets itself as having gone through reverse osmosis.
    For everyone's awareness, have a great week ahead!

Not a good recommendation. Contains sodium. Expensive at 80 cents per bottle.

The recommended bottled water is usually NTUC brand or Pure Water or distilled water (Giant brand). Those comes in at 12 bottles per carton for $5.90 (promo season), that is 50 cents per bottle. 0 TDS, 0 Sodium, 0 Minerals.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kklim View Post
    Thanks for the information
    You are welcome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Not a good recommendation. Contains sodium. Expensive at 80 cents per bottle.

The recommended bottled water is usually NTUC brand or Pure Water or distilled water (Giant brand). Those comes in at 12 bottles per carton for $5.90 (promo season), that is 50 cents per bottle. 0 TDS, 0 Sodium, 0 Minerals.
    This is not a "recommendation"
    Closed off saying this write up with "is for everyone's awareness"(very different, thanks)

Majority of us know its ntuc pure drinking water. Including myself but in this write up i am saying it is "out of stock".
    Thats why i bought this brand for "testing" (please read).

Read through this whole forum and some old threads discussing the use of LIFE distilled water from ntuc. Those were spilt to 2 groups, one group said they are not comfortable because it has 0.1 sodium. The other group said they would be okay with it.
    I just merely added one more product in here and tested it just because again:
    "it marketed itself as having gone through reverse osmosis"
    Also i dont see any mention of this brand so i just bought this and tested for the sake of people who are looking, they can decide for themselves from the results if they wanna buy it.
    New brands that are bought and tested by hobbyists, if put through this local forum, will only serve to answer questions from local new hobbyists or even seasoned hobbyists.
    In this case, when ntuc pure is out of stock, the fellow hobbyist can look through this post and decide if they wanna buy it because the results have been recorded.

Just needed to clarify myself.
    I am in no way "recommending" this product to others. Specifically wrote that i bought it and tested it for "everyone's awareness".(please read)
    Have read through this forum's old threads on water from supermarkets and did not see this brand, so, again, this explains the testing of this product.
    Still a newbie but just wanted to write what i found.

Dont know who torque6 is, just wanted to put it here that you are rather assumptive, also a little hostile and rude. ( coming from a lady's perspective)

Regards,
    Jo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jojowhisky View Post
    This is not a "recommendation"
    Closed off saying this write up with "is for everyone's awareness"(very different, thanks)

Majority of us know its ntuc pure drinking water. Including myself but in this write up i am saying it is "out of stock".
    Thats why i bought this brand for "testing" (please read).

Read through this whole forum and some old threads discussing the use of LIFE distilled water from ntuc. Those were spilt to 2 groups, one group said they are not comfortable because it has 0.1 sodium. The other group said they would be okay with it.
    I just merely added one more product in here and tested it just because again:
    "it marketed itself as having gone through reverse osmosis"
    Also i dont see any mention of this brand so i just bought this and tested for the sake of people who are looking, they can decide for themselves from the results if they wanna buy it.
    New brands that are bought and tested by hobbyists, if put through this local forum, will only serve to answer questions from local new hobbyists or even seasoned hobbyists.
    In this case, when ntuc pure is out of stock, the fellow hobbyist can look through this post and decide if they wanna buy it because the results have been recorded.

Just needed to clarify myself.
    I am in no way "recommending" this product to others. Specifically wrote that i bought it and tested it for "everyone's awareness".(please read)
    Have read through this forum's old threads on water from supermarkets and did not see this brand, so, again, this explains the testing of this product.
    Still a newbie but just wanted to write what i found.

Dont know who torque6 is, just wanted to put it here that you are rather assumptive, also a little hostile and rude. ( coming from a lady's perspective)

Regards,
    Jo

Very sorry, my bad. I tend to read inbetween the lines, feels like you are recommending something. I mean, if no one is going to use it due to the sodium content, why bother test it and create that so call awareness? If NTUC is out of stock, and there are still a few more brands at Sheng Siong and Giant, you can grab those bottles from. Weren't even need to do this test. Just saying.

By the way, yes I come across as what you say I am, assumptive, rude, hostile etc. I get that alot, even on facebook, at least for people who don't know me.

In any case, my apologies, though sharing that you are a girl actually makes no difference here on the forums.
    Last edited by torque6; 28th Nov 2018 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Very sorry, my bad. I tend to read inbetween the lines, feels like you are recommending something. I mean, if no one is going to use it due to the sodium content, why bother test it and create that so call awareness? If NTUC is out of stock, and there are still a few more brands at Sheng Siong and Giant, you can grab those bottles from. Weren't even need to do this test. Just saying.

By the way, yes I come across as what you say I am, assumptive, rude, hostile etc. I get that alot, even on facebook, at least for people who don't know me.

In any case, my apologies, though sharing that you are a girl actually makes no difference here on the forums.
    Torquee, your comments on shrimp affair facebK group also quite harsh, but like Marvis pointed out, every body here to learn. Whether this water test good or no good is subjective.

But! tell people you girl is like telling every body here you need special attention like that. Girl means MUST post nice nice comment is it? Hehehe, I can also say I am siti.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlim View Post
    Torquee, your comments on shrimp affair facebK group also quite harsh, but like Marvis pointed out, every body here to learn. Whether this water test good or no good is subjective.

But! tell people you girl is like telling every body here you need special attention like that. Girl means MUST post nice nice comment is it? Hehehe, I can also say I am siti.
    Which case was this? The recent 10 gallon joker whose 6 Pure Red Line died in his Tetra/ Guppy mix tank? If it was, he probably deserve it. We have so many social platforms available today, however the joker chose to buy filter, buy tank, buy shrimp and fish, shrimps all die -> then come to facebook to "cry father cry mother". He could simply have asked before buying. Being impulsive in this hobby is one thing, but too lazy to even do your research? What's worst sometimes is newbie recommends newbie the wrong things, and people comment I am not friendly and hostile?

I see it all the time on ASAP group. On UKAPS, the gurus really don't give two XXXX if this happens. In fact, on taiwan shrimp platforms, the go to tanks are always the 60x45x45. All taiwanese newbies use this tank, no one uses anything less than that. I frankly do not see many newbies issues on those forums.

Personally, I feel the local breeders do not want to share their knowledge, all the shrimps groups out on facebook are for marketing and show off purpose only; trade secret. Just look at the numerous unanswered post in those groups. They think they can make alot of money selling their $200 shrimps. If they think this is the way to make enough money to buy their 2nd or 3rd property, then they are doing it wrong! Furthermore, AVA already stated clearly, no selling of live stock on facebook groups without license.

By the way, may I know who you are?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

He could simply have asked before buying. Being impulsive in this hobby is one thing, but too lazy to even do your research? What's worst sometimes is newbie recommends newbie the wrong things, and people comment I am not friendly and hostile?
    Can you really blame them (as individuals)? The information architecture we have nowadays encourages this: sound bites instead of long-form articles, crowd-sourcing over sources with good authority, social media platforms and search engines organized around commerce instead of knowledge, information crafted to exploit our cognitive biases, e.g. emphasis on word-of-mouth marketing vs fact-driven marketing, etc. Google search now shows so many commercial results on the top few pages. Auto-complete always finishes up my search term with "for sale". And there's only so much real estate on a smartphone screen. Even I get annoyed reading PDF on smartphones (funny thing - academic journals used to print double column, then they went to single column in the PC era, but most haven't made the switch to flexible font sizes yet - except the open-access articles meant for online access.)

Not sure what the answer is - I think we're living through an inflection point in history.

I see it all the time on ASAP group. On UKAPS, the gurus really don't give two XXXX if this happens. In fact, on taiwan shrimp platforms, the go to tanks are always the 60x45x45. All taiwanese newbies use this tank, no one uses anything less than that. I frankly do not see many newbies issues on those forums.
    UKAPS is a great forum. AQ used to be a good one too. I'm really missing the old AQ, and I still dig up old threads from 10+ years ago. Many gems tucked away, but not easy to find. Blogs used to be good repositories of information too, but who blogs nowadays?

It's one reason I'm typing away here at 2 a.m. Not much I can contribute here, but let's do what we can.

Personally, I feel the local breeders do not want to share their knowledge, all the shrimps groups out on facebook are for marketing and show off purpose only; trade secret. Just look at the numerous unanswered post in those groups. They think they can make alot of money selling their $200 shrimps. If they think this is the way to make enough money to buy their 2nd or 3rd property, then they are doing it wrong! Furthermore, AVA already stated clearly, no selling of live stock on facebook groups without license.
    Re: not sharing knowledge, so true, so true. Asia's so like that, isn't it? I'm happy to share whatever I know. I'm just afraid people won't have the patience to read.