Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Anti Chlorine & Chloramine

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use it because everyone advises me to use it.

22 8.91%
  • I use it because I understand the effect of chlorine & chloramine on fishes.

199 80.57%
  • I don't use it because it has no impact on my fishes health.

19 7.69%
  • I don't use it because the treated water in my area is good.

7 2.83%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Anti Chlorine & Chloramine

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Poll: Anti Chlorine & Chloramine

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I know this has been discussed a number of times before. But recently I had a discussion with an experienced hobbist who highlighted that anti-chlorine and chloramine is not necessary depending on where you stay. The hobbist even proudly proclaimed that his collection of fishes is doing well.

I hope that this poll will shed some light on the use of anti-chlorine and chloramine practised by the forum users and the reason for using it. Secondly, I do hope that current and future hobbist do understand why they are treating the water if the discussions in this thread is fruitful.

Other comments and discussion is more than welcome.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to share my personal fish keeping experience on using anti chlorine.

When I first started out fish keeping, I didn't always use anti-chlorine. Although my fishes do survive during the water changes, there were frequent casualties. My goldfishes and bettas that were more hardy usually survived these water changes. However, I do note that over time that my goldfishes do lose their liveliness and shine on their scales. And for bettas, you can actually see a drastic degrading of it's form and color over time.

While I can't say I know the scientific reason for using anti-chlorine, I found that it helps improve the health of my fish when the water is treated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err.. what about "I don't use it because I am lazy but I do know the benefits of it?"
    It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yorky
    Err.. what about "I don't use it because I am lazy but I do know the benefits of it?"
    Sounds like someone I know!!

On a more serious note, our water is heavily treated and is not the most ideal for fishes. That's why discus/guppy breeders uses carbon block filtration to try to remove the chlorine, chloramine as well as heavy metals. Makes a world of difference to your livestocks.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally I don't use. I don't believe in adding chemical into my tank.

However I will drip the water slowly into my tank when strong air bubbles...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    if thats the case kuku why not invest in a water purifier, ive been using one for the past 10 yrs and don't have any probs about chlorine or heavy metals or bugs coming through the water supply, or if you can afford it an RO unit is the best of all.
    mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, kuku's system does work if the water is only treated by chlorine. but i'm not sure that chloramine can be dissipated so easily.

There's many ways to treat the water and using chemicals is definitely not the only way.

The reason I started this post is share my experience. It's kinda of sad to see some hobbyists with so many of their fishes passing on and some of which most of us in Singapore can only dream of due to its rarity here.

I also believe if we post our experiences, it will also give new hobbists an idea or insight to some of our costly mistakes in the past and learn.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    if thats the case kuku why not invest in a water purifier, ive been using one for the past 10 yrs and don't have any probs about chlorine or heavy metals or bugs coming through the water supply, or if you can afford it an RO unit is the best of all.
    mick
    Hi, i have not been dosing anit-C for the pass few yrs for my Arowana tank...
    not very sure abt planted tank cos still very very new...

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcyeo
    Actually, kuku's system does work if the water is only treated by chlorine. but i'm not sure that chloramine can be dissipated so easily.

There's many ways to treat the water and using chemicals is definitely not the only way.

The reason I started this post is share my experience. It's kinda of sad to see some hobbyists with so many of their fishes passing on and some of which most of us in Singapore can only dream of due to its rarity here.

I also believe if we post our experiences, it will also give new hobbists an idea or insight to some of our costly mistakes in the past and learn.
    btw, i do age my water....my its only 10% of what i change...so, the other 10% is slowly pump into the main tank with anti C. and the age water i do not does anti C....
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just based on my casual observation, y618 don't seem to be using antichlorine and the fish seem to be fine so it may be true it depends on area. I do use antichlorine though, just to play safe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen
    Just based on my casual observation, y618 don't seem to be using antichlorine and the fish seem to be fine so it may be true it depends on area. I do use antichlorine though, just to play safe.
    i guess their water are aged....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think so, esp when they come straight from the tap...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen
    I don't think so, esp when they come straight from the tap...
    opss....sorry...didn't sees that though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku
    i guess their water are aged....

you mean if you aged the water the chlorine and chloramine and the other heavy metals will disappear by itself??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by planted86
    you mean if you aged the water the chlorine and chloramine and the other heavy metals will disappear by itself??
    did i say that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for me i use it to play safe..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure if any of u read this article written for Marine Hobbist. Its a well written article on chlorine and chloramine. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

"How much chloramine should one allow into an aquarium? That, of course, depends on what is in the aquarium. In the absence of knowing the toxicity of chloramine to every inhabitant of the aquarium (or of even knowing the identity of every inhabitant), it seems prudent to have chloramine levels far below those where the most sensitive organisms are killed, and that chloramine concentration is somewhere well below 0.005 ppm-Cl. The value suggested by Environment Canada seems like a reasonable maximum.

There is, however, substantial uncertainty in deciding exactly which levels are acceptable and which are not, since there is so little data available. Perhaps the acceptable levels for daily exposures during the entire lifetime of an organism needs to be even lower than this value. After all, some organisms live quite a long time, and presumably we are interested in preventing all toxicity, not just death. It is apparent from the data in Table 1 that the longer the exposure, the lower the toxic levels become. In the end, we are limited by the available data and also by the ability of aquarists to measure chloramine itself.

This target of 0.005 ppm-Cl or less does not necessarily imply that all water used for aquaria must be that low. For example, an aquarium that tops off 2% of the tank volume daily (to replace evaporated water) will not have a chloramine concentration equal to the top off water. It will, however, have fresh chloramine added every day. Even if the chloramine added each day is broken down in the aquarium before the next addition (something that is likely, but not demonstrated for aquaria), then if the top off water contained 4 ppm chloramine, the aquarium would be boosted to 0.08 ppm every day. That level appears to be well above the danger zone for many invertebrates. Consequently, aquarists need to be aware of the chloramine levels in water that they use to replace evaporated water. Similar, and even more stringent, concerns would apply to water used for water changes or in setting up a new aquarium.'

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    One more thing that have been on my mind, since Chloramine is chlorine + NH3, could this be the reason why some of us is experiencing cloudly water after doing large water change (when we also added anti-chlorine which effectively only remove chlorine and not the NH3)?

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would rather not have chloramine in my water, but i do not use any pills to get rid of them. I usually agitate my water for use in wc and let it age for a day or two. I am curious about the antiseptic capabilities of chloramine, if it was so inert, then it would be useless. I am of the opinion that it is the gradual breakdown and release of chlorine from chloramine that constitutes its anti bacterial properties. I can't think the gradual breakdown into ammonia and chlorine is good for the fish, but its somewhat overblown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using water after pass through the drining water filter, something like "Diamond water" type of filter. It is suppose to remove Chlorine, Chloramine, etc. However I need to add some trace fert.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast