Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feeding German blue ran fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My German blue rams spawned Didn't even notice the eggs. First saw the fry as a cloud around the male yesterday. When should I start feeding them baby brine shrimp (hatching now)? Been introducing microworm and vinegar eel but can't tell if the fry are eating them as the parents are in the same tank. Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Feeding German blue ran fry

Sounds like you're on the right track with microworms and vin eels. Other people I know have fed hard-boiled egg yolk. Usually they're too small to eat BBS at birth, but they'll soon be able to, maybe in about a week

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feed bbs no problem is just that we can't see them eat, I had 4 spawns from my pair all grew up with bbs.
    Eric Yeo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Many people I know have failed to raise rams with BBS, and had to use microworms instead. One factor might be the size of the fry - which varies depending on incubation temperatures, with lower temperatures leading to longer incubations and larger fry at the free-swimming stage (definitely true for Apistogramma, and probably true for other cichlids).

Another might be that some cichlids actually "chew" food up for their fry (I've seen this in west African chromadotilapiines), so even BBS gets chewed up to bite-size portions for fry.

Yet another possibility is that your spawning tank is full of naturally-occurring microscopic life the fry can feed on. The people who report not being able to raise ram fry to me tend to breed in simple bare bottom, minimal tank decor kinds of setups - no plants.

Whatever the case, more data is always good - thanks for sharing!