Country
    Singapore

How to setup new tank for Opae Ula Shrimps, my shrimps died

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Recently ive bought a tank of 30 Opae Ula shrimps, in view of giving to some friends and upgrading a new tank with nice LEDs i tried to set up a new tank myself.

I bought
    • a hydrometer to test the salinity ,
    • a bottle of brackish salt and
    • a bottle of good bacteria;
    • my own Alkaline ionized filtered water 8.0 PH through my machine,
    • Also some corals, sea shells, moss ball, sea fan etc

Upon mixing the water to 1.01 salinity, i left the water overnight for 1 day.
    After which i put 8 opae ula into the tank and another 8 into a glass bottle which i wanted to give my friend.
    The next day the shrimps died. i tried to save some of them but i think its too late T_T

So i am determined to find out how to properly set up a tank for this shrimps, but i dont even know what went wrong!
    I guess it could be
    1. Wrong salt used
    2. wrong water used
    3. no cycling of water (to be honest i dunno what it means)

Can someone experience please advise??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to setup new tank for Opae Ula Shrimps, my shrimps died

Hi Wolfy,

Off the top of my head i think there were 2 potential issues with your set-up process:

1. Your tank's filter was not cycled
    2. You did not acclimate your shrimp properly to your tank parameters

Solutions:
    1. IMO brackish water tanks take a little longer to establish compared to pure freshwater so you'll have to be patient with this step. Go google "fishless cycling" and you'll see all the guides on how to cycle your tank. I used fish food for my source of ammonia. You will also need a test kit to see if your cycle has been completed. Essentially, cycling your tank is the process in which you purposely cultivate a large colony of bacteria in your filter media. This bacteria is essential in converting the shrimp waste (ammonia) into nitrite and then finally nitrate which is the least harmful.

2. Drip acclimation is what i use for all my shrimp. Please google the specifics but this method allows your shrimp (which are very sensitive creatures) to acclimate to the parameters of your tank since the parameters they were bred in originally are most definitely different from yours in some way or another.

Hope this comes in handy!
    FISH ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Edwin,

Ive found out the reason why. LFS sold me the wrong salt, using brackish salt will kill them, i have went to asked for marine salt.

what i am doing now is this.
    1. Mix the marine salt with distilled water to get 1.012 salinity
    2. Added microbe lift special blend bacteria, and leave the water alone for a week.

Im not too sure if the way im cycling is right or wrong. I have tested ammonia levels to be 0, but nitrate levels to be around 25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Wolfy,

Oh shucks that sucks :/ I didn't know there was such a think called "brackish salt" tbh. I keep a f8 puffer using a mixture of aged tap water and marine salt and he's thriving. I always just assumed brackish referred to the salinity content rather than the actual salt added. Hope you'll have better luck this time! Do keep us posted

As for the cycling I would suggest cycling for a minimum of a month. Keep adding the bacterial supplement on a regular basis and add some for of ammonia into the tank to keep the bacterial colony alive (like flake foods) since shrimp are really sensitive to ammonia and nitrite.
    FISH ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD