Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Starting a 2ft planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I am planning to start a 2ft planted tank and had been looking around. Was leaning to external canister filter as the tank will look "cleaner". I would like to ask if a fluval 206 better or a OSAE filtosmart 100 will be sufficient.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Starting a 2ft planted tank

My honest advice is, based on experience, is to ask you if can go bigger based on budget and space in your place.
    I will always recommend bigger because there is always the tendency to upgrade to a 3ft or 4ft tank in the future.
    It's better to setup once, the biggest you can accomodate and afford. Bigger tanks have a bigger margin for error if you overdose or skip a scheduled water change due to unseen circumstances.
    For me either one is ok but I prefer an eheim because almost all spare parts can bought either locally at places like qianhu or bought online. Just a case in point a friend bought a 2nd hand eheim canister. The rubber gasket dried out and inlet nozzle broke during installation. Both items was replaced with spares bought at qianhu.
    Anyway, if you have a budget to stick to, get one with 10x flowrate minimum based on tank volume. Fluval is on par to Eheim imho but OASE is the new kid on the block.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to add Fluval 206 flowrate is 780l/hr and OASE 100 is 500l/hr.
    If based on a 2x1.5x1.5ft tank, 55L, Fluval 206 is the better choice as the theoretical flowrate is affected by tank waterline height to filter and whatevever media you want to add in your filter.
    If you where to add a chiller at filter outlet, that will further reduce flowrate.
    Bear this in mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with Greenie, eheim has better options and 2nd hand sets are available on Carousel at 1/2 price. You just need to test it for leaks before use.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Agree with Greenie, eheim has better options and 2nd hand sets are available on Carousel at 1/2 price. You just need to test it for leaks before use.
    and as long as it is not crack, you can easily get Eheim spare part to fix.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you greenie, torque6 and Shadow for the info.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, what if you really only stick to a 2ft planted tank due to space constraints, what are the things to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

fluval, eheim, or oase filters, those are the "good" brands. For 2 ft tank, depending on the depth and height, it is volume can be anywhere between 60l to 125l.

My calculations: take the specifications from canister filter, then divided by 2, this will be the estimated real flowrate. Such as eheim classic 600, on the label the flowrate is 1000l/h, real flowrate is 500l/h. You wish you could circulate your time 2-4 times per hour base on the volume.

Therefore, anything with label water flowrate of 240l/h to 1000l/h should work depending on your volume and bioload. Also do consider if you need to add a chiller, it will require more power from filter.

I always go for over filtration. It works superb. I never have issue of throttle down my waterflow but there is no way to further increase it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Lszomb View Post
    fluval, eheim, or oase filters, those are the "good" brands. For 2 ft tank, depending on the depth and height, it is volume can be anywhere between 60l to 125l.

My calculations: take the specifications from canister filter, then divided by 2, this will be the estimated real flowrate. Such as eheim classic 600, on the label the flowrate is 1000l/h, real flowrate is 500l/h. You wish you could circulate your time 2-4 times per hour base on the volume.

Therefore, anything with label water flowrate of 240l/h to 1000l/h should work depending on your volume and bioload. Also do consider if you need to add a chiller, it will require more power from filter.

I always go for over filtration. It works superb. I never have issue of throttle down my waterflow but there is no way to further increase it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Hi sorry buddy,

Dunno how to use this app Siah and been traveling too. Noted on the flow rate and tip on chiller thanks!

I went to the LFSs in Clementi. Seems like no one is selling Eheim already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk