Country
    Singapore

Help identifying algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I am new to aquascaping and shrimp keeping. It is my first time doing both.

My tank is just over a month old. Recently, I noticed a light green/lime green algae growth on my rocks.
    It doesn't seem to look like any of the algae that I can find out there. I dont think I ever saw my shrimps eating it.
    Should I be concerned? I hope it's not BGA...

59ec2387-9d82-4ed8-b951-96fa5e376b17.jpgd8b0ddb8-7423-40f8-a4f6-9c77c3024900.jpg

My tank is 24L. I have 2 Amano, 5 RCS and 3 CRS.

0e2f49c7-75dd-4ac9-8f8f-14cb07477453.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: Help identifying algae

It looks like green dust algae (GDA) on the rocks. That is quite easy to clean by a toothbrush and carry out water change after that. Also take note the algae spores can be flying around and cause more algae. So you should take care of tank cleanliness by reduce the feeding for fish and change water like 50% per week.

No worries, algae is normal and GDA is one of the easiest to clear. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    It looks like green dust algae (GDA) on the rocks. That is quite easy to clean by a toothbrush and carry out water change after that. Also take note the algae spores can be flying around and cause more algae. So you should take care of tank cleanliness by reduce the feeding for fish and change water like 50% per week.

No worries, algae is normal and GDA is one of the easiest to clear. Cheers!
    Thanks for the advice! I went ahead to read up more on GDA. Seems like it will become a problem when it starts to spread. Will start doing more water changes and reduce my lighting.
    I have another question though, I have read that shrimps do not like huge water changes. Therefore, my current routine only consists of 2 times 10% water change per week. Will it be safe for my shrimps if I do 50% water change?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by keannie View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I went ahead to read up more on GDA. Seems like it will become a problem when it starts to spread. Will start doing more water changes and reduce my lighting.
    I have another question though, I have read that shrimps do not like huge water changes. Therefore, my current routine only consists of 2 times 10% water change per week. Will it be safe for my shrimps if I do 50% water change?
    Reduce lighting, reduce feeding and more water change would help to reduce algae. Changing water more regularly like 20-30% twice a week should be good as well. I do water change 50% for my tank weekly, so far it is fine for fish and shrimps, however, my tanks are mature and quite stable. With new tank, and sensitive shrimps, it would be better good to follow your plan. :-) Cheers!