Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Red face tiny aquarium bugs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello , I am FarmAll from Michigan US and I have a 45 gallon aquarium with Mollies and a couple Neon Tetras. Recently while cleaning my tank type filter I noticed a small amount of tiny sand like bugs in the bottom of the tank. These are extremely small about 0.08 mm in size, ivory in color with a dark center. There were thousands in a square inch of water and moving around while I observed them over the next half hour. You would have to have a microscope to get a good clear picture of one, but I used a good quality NIkon and zoomed as close as I could to be able to describe them as I did. Does anyone out there have an idea of what I am dealing with here? My water comes from a 90 foot well and is run through 2 whole house water filters down to 5 microns. These would get caught in a 30 micron filter easily. My water has a moderate iron content and magnesium also if this would help. My concern is that I have lost about a dozen fish in 4 months to parasite like conditions where the fish get bloated, bent in half, crazily swimming, hanging upside down. etc. I have a 10 gallon hospital tank and am using General cure by API for parasites. With such a high quantity of these in the aquarium, I am really worried as to the health of my fish and tank. I would like to include the picture I took. But I don't know how. Also since it is a little out of focus, and blurred it does not give good detail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: tiny aquarium bugs

Hello again from FarmAll, I rechecked that picture I took of the bugs and examined it under a photo program and could blow it up to see the pixels. After calculating the size, I have to restate the size of the bugs as 0.3675mm in size. Again this is concluded by counting the pixels of the individual bug and sizing it accordingly to a picture of 1600 by 1200 pixels per inch and using a calculator to get the milimeter size. It should be fairly accurate at 0.3675mm long with a black eye at the anterior of the bug.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Compare it with the pictures in this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-your-aquarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Thanks for the reply, I looked at all the pictures and none resemble the ones in my aquarium. I just vacuumed the tank, found 8 newly born mollies in the filter tank, and refilled the water and treated with stress zyme and stress coat and added epsom salts. Tomorrow I will treat it with API general cure for parasites. I found the same bugs in my one 10 gallon tank and will be treating that when I get more meds for the tank. I think that I should change to a new tank with new water and all, but that is planned for a summer project. Hope I am the right track but my research tells me that there is no sure cure to get rid of every last one of these, just to keep their numbers down.