Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 4 feet tank with Slump, Yay or Nay?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

4 feet tank with Slump, Yay or Nay?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros, I’m looking to purchase a 4 feet tank and was wondering if I should go for the ones with slump build-ins or those that don’t have eg run on canister? Is there any downside of having a slump system? Badodors etc? First time going for 4 ft so need some advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4 feet tank with Slump, Yay or Nay?

Hi,

I run a 6x2x2 on a sump.

For a 4 footer, I'll say go with canister filter. But consider a strong canister filter with good flow rate to split your outlets (filter to tank) so that you can improve circulation.

Alternatively, double canister filters.

If you're considering inline equipment like CO2 reactors or chillers, strong flow is essential.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You didn't mention whether it will be planted with CO2. If yes, then sumps will increase CO2 loss so you will need to infect at a faster rate to get a good level of CO2. Care must be taken to reduce CO2 loss by careful sump design and other tweaks.

That said, sumps are easier to maintain and great for hiding all kinds of equipment. The overflow doubles as a skimmer.

Edit: just realised that you're referring to built in sump... I assume you mean those the come with the sump inside the main tank and not those that sit in the cabinet under the tank. In that case, they are too small to hide any equipment and also harder to modify, if necessary, to minimise CO2 loss.

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro for the insight. Was actually those underneath slumps. Yeah think I will stick with canisters. Is there a way to connect 2 canisters to one outflow and 1 inflow to 2 canisters? Cos would be unsoughtly with 4 pipes running in the tank ahahah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You may need to connect the canister filter in series .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, 4 pipes might be better for circulation for large tank.

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

In my humble opinion , a sump is also a viable option to use . Reading your reply , it seems you may want to use 4 canister filter if I understand it correctly . Since you have a sump , you might want to use it and save the money . But , I do not know how the sump is setup so the ultimate decision is yours to decide .

For a large tank , DO NOT use the return from the sump or canister filter as your primary water circulation . Instead , invest in a wavemaker to move the water column of your tank . Due to the fact that , over time , the canister filter will be clogged and the flow rate will decrease , it might not be as efficient as compared to a wavemaker .

If you decide to get a wavemaker , get the controllable ones , better to get a higher flow rate controllable wavemaker and operate it half speed than get a lower flow rate wavemaker and operate it fully . In my humble opinion and feedback from other user and reading online , a controllable wavemaker might produce noise , a certain humming noise being operated at full speed . If budget is a problem , get the knock off brand . DO NOT get the controllable wavemaker that uses suction cup , the magnetically mounted ones are the desirable option . Suction cups do not hold their suction for long and a wavemaker that drop off from the mounting will cause havoc to your aquascaping . Switch off your wavemaker during feeding period .

A controllable wavemaker helps in moving the water in the tank , eliminating dead spot as well as stirring the detritus up from the plants leaves and the soil . Floating detritus will then be removed by the canister filter . You might need to purchase a few if you have a densely planted large tank . Positioning of the controllable wavemaker is key to create the desired flow that you want in your tank . Check in Youtube as to how you may want to place your controllable wavemaker .

If you want to have just a fish tank only , a controllable wavemaker will still be useful . Sometimes , fish will swim against the flow of the water the controllable wavemaker produce , mimicking the flow found in their natural habitat . For my personal experience , I have a colleague from work who kept an arowana tank which is a 6ft long tank . Even though , he has 3 large canister filter , the flow was not to be desired . He did not understand the usefulness of a controllable wavemaker until I placed 1 in his tank , with a timer attached . From his feedback , the arowana seems to want to swim more against the flow of the controllable wavemaker when the wavemaker was activated by the timer . The secondary effect of the controllable wavemaker is that the waste from the fish was stirred up from the tank base and removed by the canister filter , making his tank looks pristine clean . It boost his ego when visitors to his home comment on his clean arowana tank .
    Last edited by BFG; 12th May 2019 at 17:57.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you do consider a wave maker, look into a Gyre. Maxspect is the original. Glamorca licenced the tech from Maxspect to make low end and lower flow models.

I find these better as the "normal" wave makers tend to be too powerful near the wave maker and too weak at a distance... So, if its strong enough to give good circulation, it'll whip the plants near it.

The Gyre creates a consistent and far reaching flow that is much better on the plants. And really helps distribute CO2 and nutrients.

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Used to be on canister but switch to sump when I came back to hobby. One key difference is sump cleans the water better from personal experience and easier to wash and change the media. IMHO.