Images
    Country
    Singapore

"bio-clock" in plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I noticed that the Gratiola sp in my tank close up its leaves sometime after sunset. That is way before I turn off my lights at 11pm.

It seem to know when is night time? Or is it because it has enough light for the day? In the past, my Red Cabomba exhibit the same behaviour too.

Does your Gratiola show the same behaviour?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Koah Fong, I mentioned some time back that I see this behaviour in my Gratiola/E. Stellata (not sure which one I have), and also the red tiger lotus. Previously the red cambomba does that also (but not the green C. caroliana).

My lights comes on around, and the plants start closing their leaves around 8pm.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah.. my cabomba does that too.. even though i off the lights at 12-1am.. total number of hrs lights on, 15-16 hrs.. yes.. i'm nuts.. but luckily, no algae bloom.. (keeping my fingers cross!!!![] )
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My lightings is from 10:30am to 10:30pm. My Hygrophila deformis and corybomsa did the same. But I am observering some change in their timing. I am not sure if they actually adjusting themselves to the light timing.

BC