Country
    Singapore

Dark algae overgrowing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello!
    My tank has become a monster. I dont know why but the algae is growing like crazy. And my cleanup crew isnt really doing much. Is there animal i can buy to eat up all these algae? My tds is around 500. Substrate is coral sand. Lights are on about 10 hours a day. I dont really feed it

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dark algae overgrowing

What fauna you have in the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cherry shrimp and amano. But i cant find them now maybe they're hiding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You need to remove your shrimp to eradicate those algae effectively and within 48hrs.

I'll do hydrogen peroxide dosing of 3ml per gallon first. Install a powerhead to circulate in your tank. Shut your filter. After adding Hydrogen peroxide, your tank will fizz with bubbles like crazy.

Let it circulate for 30min. Then add seachem flourish at twice recommended dosage. Let it circulate for another 30min.

Do 100% water change. Restart filter, once you dechlorinate and stabilise your water parameter, can add back your fauna, 1 at a time.

The algae at this point will look bleached or turn red. Your shrimps will feast on this dead algae for a couple of days until 8t disappear.

Remove your fauna before proceeding this procedure. Very important.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    You need to remove your shrimp to eradicate those algae effectively and within 48hrs.

I'll do hydrogen peroxide dosing of 3ml per gallon first. Install a powerhead to circulate in your tank. Shut your filter. After adding Hydrogen peroxide, your tank will fizz with bubbles like crazy.

Let it circulate for 30min. Then add seachem flourish at twice recommended dosage. Let it circulate for another 30min.

Do 100% water change. Restart filter, once you dechlorinate and stabilise your water parameter, can add back your fauna, 1 at a time.

The algae at this point will look bleached or turn red. Your shrimps will feast on this dead algae for a couple of days until 8t disappear.

Ill be getting h2o2 soon and update on the progress. Thanks for your input

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post

Ive added the h2o2 just like you recommended. Its fizzing right now. See how it goes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here's the update. After cycling with brackish water for a week. The algae has turned green not sure if it's dead though