Country
    Singapore

Cool New LED models by Up Aqua?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Been hunting for LED lights for my 60x36x30cm tank. I wish to have a moderate lighting for my planted tank. I have raised my soil level such that it is around 25cm to the top of my tank.

I started with an initial budget of second hand LED lights for $20. Recently been trawling on carousell but usually people try to sell of lights that are not suitable for planted tanks. Decided to head to popular LFS to check out prices of brand new lights today.

Did some heavy reading on LED lights around my budget (Up Aqua/Beamswork/Aquazonic). I saw a good deal for Up Aqua for the ZX model around 40bucks at East Ocean. Went online but could not find any reviews for it. Only saw reviews dating few years back on AQ for Z model. Did some further research into the specs:

UP-Aqua Pro Z Series LED Light 60cm (Plant)
    Recommended for 60cm Aquarium.

• Voltage: 220-240V
    • Wattage: 21.3W
    • 0.06w x 180 LED bulb
    • Slim and attractive design
    • Energy saving and long life
    • Environmentally friendly

VERSUS

UP Aqua's latest line of planting focused ZX LED Aquarium lights are styled to keep the clean line of frameless aquariums.
    LED technology uses a fraction of the power of Fluoro lights with some units consuming less than 8watts.

Specifications:
    - Australian Power adapter
    - Adjustable arms
    - 1 year warranty (DISCLAIMER: Copy paste from random website for specs so not sure if this holds true)
    - AC 220V / 50Hz
    - (R) 20lm/8pcs (G)40lm/2pcs (W)80lm/30pcs
    - 20Watts
    - Colour temperature 5,500-6000K
    - Ultra Bright LEDs suitable for Planted Aquariums

From what I understand, the new ZX model and older Z model is about the same. However, the colour temperature is different by about 2K. Did not have the chance to compare the two lights side by side, but at another LFS indeed I could see it is more yellow (less "bright") compared to equivalent models.

Seeking advice from more experienced players in this field.
    1. Is this new ZX model better than Z model for planted tanks?
    2. Are there other options available that are better?

Some extra info:
    Was ambitious and set up the tank with ADA amazonia powder, DSM with 1 big batch of HC cuba.
    Now that I read more, may not be able to afford to grow this plant (between requirement of strong light and CO2/ nutrients supplement, mainly is light $$$ and CO2 hassle although I can do DIY method)
    Going to leave the HC to grow using sunlight from my window for 2 months. If it all wilt, will replace with monte carlo and some riccia. Thus not aiming for very expensive/strong lights like chihiros or twinstar.
    Aiming to make this a heavily planted Walstad tank, so any plant reccomendations is also very welcomed!

If you managed to read this entire post, thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: New LED models by Up Aqua?

Hi bro,

Researching and being patient are the essential criteria of this hobby. It is great that you have that.

I started with Up Aqua Pro Z20 for my first planted tank (60cm) and I think that is a great light to start your planted tank. It is not too strong hence less algae issue than the other strong light. You can refer to my post in this forum to find out more (Passionately Curious Tank)

For more budget tank, yes, you can go for Walstad method, too.

I have successfully setup a "no tech" tank using DSM method, too. That tank is outdoor using natural sunlight without filter, CO2 or fertilizers and garden soil cap with aquasoil on top as substrate. I might pen down the journal on it soon.

For your lighting, go for Up Aqua Pro. It should be a right choice.

You can also source for Chihiros A series, which is much more reasonable nowadays on Carousell or Lazada (brandnew).

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Jacky,

Thanks for your tips on the lights. Just received my Chihiros from Lazada last night. Did not expect it to be so powerful, what a value for money with the discounts!

Around third week of DSM, experience some fungus and die offs here and there but nothing too big deal since everyday I will check and mist.

Hope it goes well before I flood it.

iSSK7l4.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Congratulations on the new powerful light! You can poke some holes on the clingwrap for a bit of ventilation but still keeping the moist environment, it might at the same time getting more CO2 from atmosphere too. And also less fungus if the ventilation getting better. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk