Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water change for crs tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i got this 1 ft tank with crs. Been doing 10-20% water change weekly with distilled water with seachem prime and aqualex multiple vitamins, and osing benibachi mineral rock powder around once a month.
    Recently i found one dead crs every few days, some with transparent band behind the head, hence im suspecting moulting problems.
    So im wondering am i doing the water change right? Or should i use gh+ to adjust the water parameters more accurately?
    Currently the water parameters in my tank is:
    Tds: 130, ph: 6.4, kh: 1, gh: 4, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0. No measurements for nitrate, but i do have floating frogbits.
    Appreciate it if any help /advice given. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water change for crs tank

Hi Shama! Welcome to the forum.

I think your GH is abit low. Haven't had much experience with distilled water as I'm using an RODI unit but I personally prefer using GH+ mineral supplements (like SaltyShrimp GH+) to raise the TDS to 150 from 0. It has pretty much become a routine for me so I know my shrimp are used to it by now. A TDS of 150 is roughly a GH of 6 with KH of 0-1 (for me). Also if you're using distilled i think adding prime isn't required? But i might be wrong
    FISH ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, thanks for the advice. Also, is it ok to use gh+ with other supplements as well? Or the minerals provided by the gh+ itself is already sufficient for the shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

GH+ should be sufficient on its own. You can use other supplements to raise the KH a little if youre worried about pH swings but other than that it should be sufficient
    FISH ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by edwin_the_elder View Post
    GH+ should be sufficient on its own. You can use other supplements to raise the KH a little if youre worried about pH swings but other than that it should be sufficient
    Hmm... Guess i will try gh+ from now on... Hopefully no more casualties