Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Now then I know! - Guppies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After having a few years of experience in rearing guppies, I just realised that there are differences in some guppies.

There are difference in guppies that grow up in the wild and those that grow up in breeder's tank. Most of the LFS that sells guppies are actually freshwater guppies. Each sold at approx $1. There are actually those feeder guppies that sold at approx 20+ at also $1.

If you happened to buy saltwater guppies (those caught in the wild), most of them will not survive in freshwater if the water parameters does not suite them.

I had try keeping those saltwater guppies and at least 8 had failed to survive even when I tried to add salt to my tank.
    I think more are not going to make it by the time I get home.

where did you get your saltwater guppies from? and correct me if I"m wrong but those sold in LFS are all breeder guppies and not wild, I think wild guppies do not have the kind of colouration as those sold in LFS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the word here isnt saltwater but brackish water... there is traces of salt content but not at high levels..

think u shld consult jhseah or chris.. they r the guppy gurus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Simon is correct. The water should be called Brackish water instead of saltwater. (The LFS owner told me saltwater ... )

Hippo, I had caught some wild guppies in a drain before, they are smaller, but I find that they have nice coloured tails, though not as big as those fancy guppies. As for the so-called saltwater guppies, I bought them at the market near Redhill MRT. One bag contain about 10-15+ at $1.

I think those so-called wild guppies are actually breeder who bred them in a pond with Brackish environment after all.
    The lady told me they are lived in the "soil water". I may need to add in more salt and they may survive.

I remembered that the guppies that I caught, most of them doesn't survive in my tank. Only one small baby guppy survive but it never make it to adulthood.

I don't think they are as tough as it claim even though they live in the drain.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/8/2002 9:45:50 AM

I think the word here isnt saltwater but brackish water... there is traces of salt content but not at high levels..

think u shld consult jhseah or chris.. they r the guppy gurus
    ----------------

Pls pls, Simon, we are not gurus lah, only that we are more interested in breeding and keeping guppies than other fishkeepers.

General rule when u buy guppies from shop, need to quarantine them using freshwater but add salt 1tbspoon per 5gallon of water. Slowly reducing the salt % everywk during water changes till 1tbspoon per 10gallon water.

Used to go Old Fishfarm rd guppies farm where their guppies are reared using brackish water (from the big drain at the back). Sure to have some casualties whenever I buy guppies from there even though I add 1tbspoon per 5gallon. So, if u are familiar with the fishshop owner, can ask him whether how much salt he added into his guppy tank, best if u can wait for 2-3days before buying to minimise ur own casualties.

For me, I prefer to buy gravid females and raise their frys.

Oh another thing to add, for those feeder guppies, they are normally what we call rejects by the farm i.e. the fish either are stunted, of low quality or some even got body or fin rot, so do beware.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mr Seah!
    You are right. My batch of guppies had some casualties already. Some just can't make it, some had resulted in fin-rot.

But right now, I had still about 60% of them which is surviving. I had added salt to it and hopefully they can make it. Some of them are rather nice looking which cost $1 to buy at other LFS.

BTW, can I say that when the brackish guppies breed, I can safely convert the guppy fry to freshwater? Somehow, one of my guppies had given birth to only 4 guppy fry and I had transfered them to a small freshwater tank. Hopefully they will make it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I won't guarantee u that they are going to make it but what I want to say is that frys are better adapting to the salt content.

There's also lesser complication of diseases if u raise them since fry stage.

One thing to note about guppy frys is that, u might see their tail clamped up which is indication of flukes. IF u see them this, buy Livebearer brand Anti-flukes medication to medicate. U should have much sucess.

Do keep us updated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the advice seah ...

BTW, what is this Flukes thing?

I remember that once, I had caught some wild guppies from a drain and kept them in freshwater. The next day, I see most of the guppies had their tails clamped together.

Thought the guppies was sick coz not used to the water condition. Soon after 1-2 days, most of them don't make it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ninjafly

I'm also not too sure what's the fluke thing, but will tell u what I know (not sure right or not).
    I suspect there's flukes esp gill flukes present in the lfs shop guppies (seen scratching their gills via some objects). The flukes less harmless to the adult fishes but crucial for the frys.
    The brackish water with high salt content seems to keep the flukes down. But, once bought home, the salt content decreases.

I recommend the anti-flukes medication becos there are ppl who used to treat the "pin-tail" for the affected frys with good results (also proven by me). But the must medicate for at least 2wks for complete eradication.

As for the drain-caught fishes, there are too many variables why the fishes die. Could be the different water conditions/chemistry or some other dieseases.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Seah,

Just an update.. Now, about 60% of the guppies doesn't seems to make it. There are still about 10 left. Now the dying rate is lower. Like about 1-2 guppies every alterate day as compared to before. Some of them is starting to develop fin-rot or some other fungus disease. How come? They looked quite healthy the first few days and suddenly kanna the fin-rot stuffs.

So far, I had seen some of my other freshwater guppies scratching their body against the floor or gravel etc. Thought it was their habits or maybe they are itchy. Hmm .. seems like I must do something. Those guppies, I raised them since when they are still frys.

Also, I had a guppy that has dropsy (I think). It had a bloated tummy and had a pine-like spike. It gives me goose-pimpled the longer I stared at it.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ninjafly,

I went to your homepage and saw that your planted tank uses those small filters and why are the plants still inside the basket?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, just my 1.5cents worth:[]

- dropsy is contegious, best to remove infected fish.

- plants in baskets - read somewhere that some fish maybe allergic to the wool used to pack the plants into the basket...?
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/11/2002 11:44:35 AM

Hi Seah,

Just an update.. Now, about 60% of the guppies doesn't seems to make it. There are still about 10 left. Now the dying rate is lower. Like about 1-2 guppies every alterate day as compared to before. Some of them is starting to develop fin-rot or some other fungus disease. How come? They looked quite healthy the first few days and suddenly kanna the fin-rot stuffs.

So far, I had seen some of my other freshwater guppies scratching their body against the floor or gravel etc. Thought it was their habits or maybe they are itchy. Hmm .. seems like I must do something. Those guppies, I raised them since when they are still frys.

Also, I had a guppy that has dropsy (I think). It had a bloated tummy and had a pine-like spike. It gives me goose-pimpled the longer I stared at it.[]
    ----------------
    Hi Ninja

Fin-rot or fungus are very contagious, that's y must medicate or isolate if found any fish with similar symtoms.

Same as dropsy (still under investigation)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I went to your homepage and saw that your planted tank uses those small filters and why are the plants still inside the basket?
    ----------------
    Hi Benetay,

No lar, those has been removed already. Actually, I was trying out to see if I could cultivate them, if they broke off.

Anyway, those pictures are poorly taken and I did those pages in a very short time. (Camera borrowed from office and anyhow snapped those pictures...) So, very poorly done, not professional at all.[]

I had redo some aquascape and had taken some pictures too. But had not place them in. Still learning the skill of aquascaping.