Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Too many fries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does anyone know of any LFS in Singapore that accepts fries (Apistogramma specifically)? I’m willing to sell to them in bulk and cheap because nobody seems to be willing to get my fries.

Worse case scenario, i’ll give it to them for free due to space/tank constrains. So, any help/advise would be appreciated!

It’ll be better to be somewhere in the north area, but at this point i dont mind any where that accepts them.
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: Too many fries

Hi Jingky,

I think you can put some photos of your Apisto Frys here and many people would like to adopt it. Cheers! ^^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi jacky,

I already did in an earlier post on the cichlids forum section, but it didn’t get any attention which is why i’m resorting to selling/giving to LFSs as they might be able to get them all at once
    JG

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ya, show some picture of the parent & the fry...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Too many fries

Sadly, both parents passed already and the last image i have of them are these;

The female, with then fries

And the male.

I’ve managed to identify some males and females. Some fries are already similar sized as the parents and some are still growing, which i already separated the bigger sized ones from the original school below.

Many of them still look stressed out because firstly, i dont have enough space for them. Secondly, they will definitely brighten up more like the parents when they have more hiding areas AND pH of around 4 ~ 6. They can survive in pHs up to 7 i believe. Since they are quite adaptable.
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Jingky

Getting LFS to take your fish isn't easy. I went down that road a while ago. Many shops here won't take fish that they can't immediately sell - keeping the fish around is costly in terms of tank space and feed. For apistos, that means you can only sell fish of a certain size, and not just flog off the whole bunch at them. Also, most shops don't like to take our drab wild fish. They need fish that sell well, and in our local context that means all the super reds and triple reds and fire reds.

They also need to trust you enough to do this with you - legally, you're not allowed to breed fish at home and I think they're not allowed to get fish from you - but this law (like many others in Singapore) is excessively draconian and is not enforced if you don't violate the spirit of the law, i.e. don't turn breeding into a business.

The best thing to do might be to try to find other local apisto hobbyists who would do swaps or buy fish from you - you get to make friends too. I'm putting word out with some old apisto hobbyists, maybe some of them will be interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    Hi Jingky

Getting LFS to take your fish isn't easy. I went down that road a while ago. Many shops here won't take fish that they can't immediately sell - keeping the fish around is costly in terms of tank space and feed. For apistos, that means you can only sell fish of a certain size, and not just flog off the whole bunch at them. Also, most shops don't like to take our drab wild fish. They need fish that sell well, and in our local context that means all the super reds and triple reds and fire reds.

They also need to trust you enough to do this with you - legally, you're not allowed to breed fish at home and I think they're not allowed to get fish from you - but this law (like many others in Singapore) is excessively draconian and is not enforced if you don't violate the spirit of the law, i.e. don't turn breeding into a business.

The best thing to do might be to try to find other local apisto hobbyists who would do swaps or buy fish from you - you get to make friends too. I'm putting word out with some old apisto hobbyists, maybe some of them will be interested.

Hi boofeng,

Yeah i know, not many LFS accepts apistos and i only asked those that i’ve known, however, like u said they need space. The LFS that i know is actually willing to accept it as they do sell apistos as one of their main fishes. But they are small and as of now cannot take in any more fishes.

Also, these fishes actually spawned too many times. I only wanted one batch but somehow these cacas breed a total of 3 times before both parent passed away.

I only wanted to keep a few for myself and was willing to sell the fishes but to no avail as nobody was willing to buy my fishes. In fact, many responded but ghosted me after awhile.

That is why i am “desperate” to get them out as i really do not have the space to take care of them properly.

It’ll be great if u can get some hobbyist to get some of them, take more for some of their friends too also its fine. At this point i’m not really selling them anymore. Its FOC.
    JG

Feedback Score
    Images

Have you try to post on carousel or Facebook groups? I'm sure many will be interested to take them. Let me know if you want me to share this out. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gimhchng View Post
    Have you try to post on carousel or Facebook groups? I'm sure many will be interested to take them. Let me know if you want me to share this out. Thanks
    Hi, gimhchng,

Yes i actually did share it on facebook, but my post got taken down by the admin of SG Aquatic Animals for some reason i dont understand. But i already got some people contacting me on facebook about it and meeting them.

I did post it on carousell too but someone reported(?) my account and got my account banned for “live animals”.

And yes, idm you guys sharing!
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can buy them from you if it's ok.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am willing to adopt them. I have been looking for a pair of apisto..since my Caca pair died..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Too many fries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngszm View Post
    I can buy them from you if it's ok.
    PM me your number i’ll whatsapp you to discuss
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

None of my friends could take these, but I think you have found homes for your animals.

BTW the photos of your parents are good - very useful if anyone ever needs to ID species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by redngold View Post
    I am willing to adopt them. I have been looking for a pair of apisto..since my Caca pair died..
    Yes u can take a pair.

PM me your number, whatsapp you
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    None of my friends could take these, but I think you have found homes for your animals.

BTW the photos of your parents are good - very useful if anyone ever needs to ID species.
    No problem, thanks.

I don’t really know which wild variant these cacas are from exactly though.
    JG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are curious, there are some good people to ask. Mike Wise can be found at apistogramma dot com, and Frank Hattich too. They are knowledgeable and happy to talk to the public. You can also post on the FB group, Apistogramma International, Frank Hattich is there, and many others. I prefer to ask on the forum, it's less active, but also more focused.