Country
    Singapore

Staurogyne Repens melting away

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Got some Staurogyne repens stems for my 2 ft tank. Long story short, they seem to be melting away. I have no Co2 in my tank. I have tried dosing some seachem fluorish excel. Does not seem to be having any effect. Already lost some stems entirely. I have other Stem plants being used a background plants in my tank as well. They seem to be doing okay. Any Idea why this might occur? Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Staurogyne Repens melting away

S. Repens, is an easy plant BUT based on my experience the caveat is it need to acclimatize to new condition before it starts to propagate. My submersed form S. Repens always melted when I bought it from LFS. The emersed form like from Tropica is more stable but still go through the conversion to submersed form and will lose some leaves anyway.

So due to a change of water and light condition plus you adding Excel, your S.Repens will waste away. Try to let it be including not adding Excel. It may rebound and survive if acclimatise.

I myself realise that my established S.Repen lawn melts everytime when I suddenly increase my DIY LED lighting or add Excel on days when I send my CO2 for top up. Initially I too almost gave up on S.Repens and after a couple of batch trying just ignore it. Suddenly after a few months began to notice it proliferate into a lawn.

Mine is observation and not based on anything scientific. My lawn now almost 3 years old and need constant pruning.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Staurogyne Repens melting away

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    S. Repens, is an easy plant BUT based on my experience the caveat is it need to acclimatize to new condition before it starts to propagate. My submersed form S. Repens always melted when I bought it from LFS. The emersed form like from Tropica is more stable but still go through the conversion to submersed form and will lose some leaves anyway.

So due to a change of water and light condition plus you adding Excel, your S.Repens will waste away. Try to let it be including not adding Excel. It may rebound and survive if acclimatise.

I myself realise that my established S.Repen lawn melts everytime when I suddenly increase my DIY LED lighting or add Excel on days when I send my CO2 for top up. Initially I too almost gave up on S.Repens and after a couple of batch trying just ignore it. Suddenly after a few months began to notice it proliferate into a lawn.

Mine is observation and not based on anything scientific. My lawn now almost 3 years old and need constant pruning.
    The remaining stems i have do seem to be having some new leaf growth and some roots. Was confused as to why they kept melting away even after adding root tabs and excel. I'll just leave them alone and see how it goes as per advised. Hopefully they'll come back. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by Ibrock; 11th Jun 2019 at 16:56.