Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Greenwater problem!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So, My tank started to get cloudy bit by bit. Didn't think much of it and just did my usual maintenance. When my aquarium started to get really cloudy, i cleaned out my filter and added some filter floss to it and did a big water change(which cleared the water slightly, temporarily). Well, long story short, My tank water is now really green and visibility of the tank has really been compromised. I do water changes in my tank weekly and I don't think i overfeed. How do you get rid of the green water, and how to prevent it from coming back? UV light, greenwater removers, daphnia, reduce lighting are some of the solutions i found out but have been getting mixed advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Greenwater problem!

Tell us more details about your tank, especially how much plants there are in it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It has stems plants at the back for background with tropica powder soil for tank substrate, and some anubias petite on coconut husk and small amount of flame moss on rocks. I should probably add more plants now that i think about it. For fauna, Have 2 dwarf cichlids, 6 rummynose tetras and 6 corydoras (stocked the tank completely on store recommendations). Tank's not directly by a window but room does have alot of natural light. Its 60x30x36 tank with seachem tidal 35 filter. Tank still fairly newly set up. Only several weeks old. Greenwater came outta nowhere.

I did manage to solve the greenwater issue by stopping the usage of my tank lights completely & blocking out as much natural light as possible in addition to using a HOB filter with a UV light in it and doing 40-50% water changes. Water is really clear now. However, I still fear the greenwater issue coming back and would like to prevent it from happening again. Caused me alot of stress.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

normally, when the water of a tank starts to become green is because there is a lot of nutrients for plants to grow in the water. but not enough plants to absorb this nutrients which gives algae a chance to bloom. you can try introducing floating plants to remove nutrients or introduce more plants to the soil. you can also reduce the amount of light given. or stop adding fertilizers to the soil. do note that this will come back again if you do not balance the nutrients available to plants properly even if it is solved at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Rainey View Post
    normally, when the water of a tank starts to become green is because there is a lot of nutrients for plants to grow in the water. but not enough plants to absorb this nutrients which gives algae a chance to bloom. you can try introducing floating plants to remove nutrients or introduce more plants to the soil. you can also reduce the amount of light given. or stop adding fertilizers to the soil. do note that this will come back again if you do not balance the nutrients available to plants properly even if it is solved at the moment.
    yeah, currently have lots of floating plants in my tank. Salvinia natans and water lettuce. And also took the opportunity to rescape(nothing pro) the tank as well. greenwater hasn't returned so far.