Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Growing Monte Carlo and Stem plants emersed in Tupperware container

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As title states, I have some spare monte carlo and some Bacopa Caroliana Trimmings which did not want to just throw away from my planted tank. So I decided to try and grow them emersed to see if it'll work. I just used 1 spare tupperware container for each plant, tropica aquarium powder for substrate. I wet the soil with old tank water, planted the plants in to the soil and covered the top with saran/cling wrap. I secured it with rubber band and put on the tupperware lid. Lighting wise, I just stuck in near the window for sunlight. This was just something I whipped up in a few minutes with just the stuff laying around the house. So not like a serious experiment. Although I would definitely like to succeed.

So my question is, has anyone tried this before? and if you have, any advice for me? tips to successfully transition plants from submersed to emersed form? Thanks in Advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Monte Carlo and Stem plants emersed in Tupperware container

Been 2 weeks since i set it up, I am actually seeing new growth from both the stem plants and monte carlo. Been exposing them to air more and more as well. Really interesting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well, just to close off this thread, Monte Carlo didn't make it as i messed up from the beginning. Most of the stem plants died off as well. HOWEVER, 1 stem of bacopa caroliana and 1 stem of bacopa monnieri survived, transitioned to above water growth conditions and even spread through the aqua soil and created a new stem respectively. Both of which are also doing well. I removed the cling wrap long ago and have been pretty much just treating them like typical above water potted plants. And will be transferring them to actual plant pots soon.

Thus, the attempt of growing aquatic plants emersed in a tupperware and sunlight and nothing more is a success! might be attempting with other aquatic plants in the future.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrock View Post
    Well, just to close off this thread, Monte Carlo didn't make it as i messed up from the beginning. Most of the stem plants died off as well. HOWEVER, 1 stem of bacopa caroliana and 1 stem of bacopa monnieri survived, transitioned to above water growth conditions and even spread through the aqua soil and created a new stem respectively. Both of which are also doing well. I removed the cling wrap long ago and have been pretty much just treating them like typical above water potted plants. And will be transferring them to actual plant pots soon.

Thus, the attempt of growing aquatic plants emersed in a tupperware and sunlight and nothing more is a success! might be attempting with other aquatic plants in the future.
    Generally making them switch from emersed to submerged is easier.If u want emersed growth let the stems grow out of the water by themselves.For carpet plants, treat as hydroponic meaning keep the soil and some of the plant in water.Might have mosquito problem tho.And higher humidity will help in them switching to submerged again easier.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed. When you have lots of trimmings to just throw away you feel like you're just wasting them. At least for me. Which is why i attempted this very simple experiment to see if it will work. And eventually it did. I might be making another attempt with carpet plants in the future.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed. When you have lots of trimmings to just throw away you feel like you're just wasting them. At least for me. Which is why i attempted this very simple experiment to see if it will work. And eventually it did. I might be making another attempt with carpet plants in the future.
    u use co2 ah.Can try selling the cuttings on carousell

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its possible. But my plants are all easy and cheaper plants, so no real demand. Plus, i just redid my tank. So now nothing to sell also. Haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its possible. But my plants are all easy and cheaper plants, so no real demand. Plus, i just redid my tank. So now nothing to sell also. Haha
    lololol mc should have demand stem plants too esp for ppl that have “brown fingers”.In fact plants die easily esp in tanks with little current eg sponge filter or worse no filter cos theyre all sold in enersed form lol.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's true. Which is why i stick to cheaper and easier plants.