Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Staghorn

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am a newbie and trying low tech tank. I think now my tank has got staghorn and i tried hydrogen peroxide treatment and lost almost all plants may be of high dosage bath, and now i have some new plants and i see they have got staghorn too after a week. Please help me on how to kill staghorn completely.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: Staghorn

Since your tank is low tech, you can try to dose Excel in the tank instead of nuking H2O2. Spot treatment is recommended instead of nuking the whole tank anyway. You can take the syringe and pump to the affect location.

If it is on hardscape like woods or rocks, you can drain out the water and using brush dip in H2O2 to paint on those affected area, leave for few minutes and top up water again. After 1-2 days, the algae will turn pink and got eaten by those algae eaters like shrimps/snails.

Here is my experiment:

Painting H2O2 on woods affected by Staghorn algae:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1DRCu2p...d=9uovq5b2bai9

And after few days, the algae turned pinkish. All the best!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Since your tank is low tech, you can try to dose Excel in the tank instead of nuking H2O2. Spot treatment is recommended instead of nuking the whole tank anyway. You can take the syringe and pump to the affect location.

If it is on hardscape like woods or rocks, you can drain out the water and using brush dip in H2O2 to paint on those affected area, leave for few minutes and top up water again. After 1-2 days, the algae will turn pink and got eaten by those algae eaters like shrimps/snails.

Here is my experiment:

Painting H2O2 on woods affected by Staghorn algae:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1DRCu2p...d=9uovq5b2bai9

And after few days, the algae turned pinkish. All the best!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your explanation..
    May i know the reasons for staghorn ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBond View Post
    Thank you for your explanation..
    May i know the reasons for staghorn ?
    Like any other pest, algae like staghorn are pest. LFS selling the plants don't take steps to prevent. All the better for them as you need to come down buy more stuff lke algae killer chemicals that may after side effects to your whole tank.

Proper quarantine of plants and fishes are necessary steps before setting up your tank. Only plants bought from Tropica are guaranteed algae free, that's why they are priced a premium.

Research the net for Seachem Excel and H2O2 quarantine methods. many will tell you Light, C02 and nutrient imbalance can cause an outbreak but if you don't have spores of staghorn algae in the first place, any imbalance only affects your plant growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    many will tell you Light, C02 and nutrient imbalance can cause an outbreak but if you don't have spores of staghorn algae in the first place, any imbalance only affects your plant growth.
    True I agree, I am trying H2O2 spot treatment method as of now, but it may take sometime to get rid of all.
    Thanks you..