Advertise here

Advertise here
    any 1 keeps Axolotls ??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: any 1 keeps Axolotls ??

By the way, Axolotls are not allowed to be sold as pets in in Singapore and therefore not sold in the Local Fish Shop. So I am not sure if there are anyone keeping those larger ones that you could find in Malaysia or overseas.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ya i understand. but i know few years back we still can find them at lfs. just wondering if anyone where still have them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lol. Poh, your poison too deep already la.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

gonna catch 'em all !

i think mark as exotic and endangered.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes its an exotic but not endangered and Poh seriously, its not exactly smart to post here asking where to get something that's illegal. You're inviting trouble and asking for a visit from AVA and Acres!

I suggest you stop posting here and on the marketplace if not we'll ban you, this is your first verbal warning!
    “Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”
    "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mod, im asking who still have them, not necessary people from singapore. Recieved your reminder and will not post anything regarding axolotls again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, we know this is Singapore. We live and please to try to understand keeping this as a pet is against the law, hence it is okay to talk about this axolotl and enjoy being learnt and more understanding as we might have global members or somebody from elsewhere who log AQ in, they will give us a good understanding input of this beautiful albino salamander as we are all natural world enthusiasts
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Yes, I still keep them but not in Singapore. In my country (Indonesia), they are becoming favorite and popular aquatic pet, because they looks like Pokemon character and a water dragon.

Before I continued, is it still OK to discuss about this species just for your knowledge or information?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They might be cute, but asking online actually will get you and the forum into trouble. So if you may refrain from asking in Singapore where can buy as all know that axolotl is not allowed to be kept.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Oh okay. Better not to do it. Thank you. if there are moderators here, I'm sorry please help me to delete my post.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi ragn4rok

I don't see this is not a problem to discuss about Axolotl and its lifestyle, even its habitual, however, you will not be able get much feedback from here as most of us stay in low profile but actively in US Axolotl keeping forums.

I love to own one, but it's so difficult to keep this beautiful salamander in SG, unless I migrate to either Malaysia or Solo.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dear raqn4rok, I guess that as long as you are discussing it, it should be fine. As you are from Indonesia, there is no restrictions in your country regarding keeping these beautiful creatures as pets. But in Singapore,it is against the law to keep these creatures so we try to refrain from openly discussing keeping of these as pets. I hope that you can understand. I hope you can share more about your journey keeping these pets as then this way we all can learn as well. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Jeffrey, more photos on the tank setup, what color morphs you have and the temperature you are keeping them in will be useful to those who are not from Singapore and are keeping them or intend to keep them. We can definitely discuss about them here on this forum as it is an open international forum where many folks from other countries visits.

As long as we do not discuss the sales of this animals it's ok for you to continue with your thread.
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As an aside, wild axolotl, which are found only in central Mexico, in wetlands and canals associated with Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco, both adjacent to Mexico City, are actually considered Critically Endangered, due to a combination of factors: poor management of water resources, leading to deterioration and drying up of the lakes where they live, collection for food, pollution, and introduced species such as carp and tilapia.

Also, they're not the only salamanders to display neoteny, which is the retention of juvenile characteristics into sexual maturity. There are a number of other mole salamanders (the family that the axolotl belongs to) that do not undergo metamorphosis.

EDGE: Evolutionarily Distinct & Globally Endangered
    EDGE Blog
    ARKive
    IUCN Red List

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, they're endangered in the wild, but they are also being "mass reproduce" in laboratories and captive bred in Europe and USA as Axolotls are used extensively in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate limbs. Hence their widely availability.

They do prefer cooler temperatures between 16-24 degs but can survive in water temperature of up till 28 degs. I have kept a few many many years ago and I do still have friends in Thailand and Malaysia keeping them...
    - Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!
    DeZ aka Desmond

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, forgot to mention that the trade in axolotls for aquariums has no effect on wild axolotl, as they're all captive-bred these days.

I did recall seeing axolotl in some LFS more than 10 years ago, and lately, I've noticed dwarf clawed frogs and newts (Japanese newt?), but no sightings of axolotl. I'm sure that most LFS would want to avoid getting into trouble with the law.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, even in Singapore, DSO, NUS Stemcell dept and even National Cancer Centre researchers or scientists are doing this, too Their research is to study the evolution and genetics of stem cells - research that supports the development of regenerative medicine to treat the consequences of disease and injury using stem cell therapies.

I have seen this hundreds of them in their lab...sighs, I can't recuse them.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question, this kept me wondering, but why are they banned?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Probably just the generic concern that axolotls might become established if people release them into our rivers and reservoirs and wreak havoc with the ecosystem.

Although why they focus so much on restricting trade in amphibians and reptiles and yet ignore fishes is a mystery. I can understand the concerns and fears, and there are way too many idiots out there who are still releasing red-eared sliders and American bullfrogs, but I think non-native fishes like various cichlids and even pacu and alligator gar have the potential to pose an even greater threat to freshwater habitats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast