Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a cooling fan really cool your tank?

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can a cooling fan really cool your tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My answer : It can and significantly, provided your room temperature is lower than the water temperature.

Contrary to what many people said and believed, I do not think the cooling fan actually 'cool' the water BUT more of influencing the water's temperature with the room's temperature. It do not cool your tank unless your room is cooler than the water in the first place. If your room's temperature is hotter, then you can be sure it will warm your water.

Before I bought the fan, I asked the seller is it effective? And how many deg change can he guarantee? Because the last thing I want is to spend $30 and not getting significant value out of it. The seller did not dare to guarantee me, in his own words "it works for some but doesn't for others so you need to try it out to know".

After trying it out for 1 week, it did not achieve significant change in temperature and was hovering between 28 to 29 most of the time which was perhaps just 0.5 to 0.8 deg lower than the original temperature.

What did change for me however is when I turn on the aircon to 16 deg and I have 3 tanks in my room. 1 x 2feet + 2 x 1foot. I used the fan on the 2 feet and the temperature dropped to 22 deg while both my 1foot tank remained at 26-27.

So does it work? Yes. Provided the air in your room is cooler in the first place because your room temperature is part of the function.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Can a cooling fan really cool your tank?

I have very different results than yours though. I set my aircon at 29C & on the fans in all my tanks. My 3ft tank will reach 26.2C & both my 2ft tanks will be 24.6C & i have a 45cm tank with a 24C.
    So, i was also wondering is it lesser water volume temp drop faster? Also if this could save electricity bill as the aircon don't hv to run too cold. i think their location in the room is also critical as well as the volume of the water. However, i do turn off the aircon & leave the fans on at night for abt 8 hrs & when i wake up the temp in the smallest tank will raise the most to 26.2, same thing for both the 2 ft tanks(they are on the same side of the living room).The 3ft tank however is higher at 26.7C. No tank is near any heat source or sunlights. I am also quite curious? I just started this aircon + fan thing 3 wks so far & still waiting to see the electric bill.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did your CRS 'make love'(any got berried?) during this period?

My tank is placed at the opposite end of the aircon, and it managed to achieve 22-23 constantly. That is good enough for me to skip getting a chiller.

If I have more tanks in the future, all I need is to run more fans and I could even DIY a big fan, facing the tanks top since all it need is wind blowing to create something like 'tsunami' so the water can have some sort of circulation and thats how temperature is imparted to the water.

I turn on the aircon every night anyway so it didn't cost me anything more than the electricity to run the fan.

The other method I thought of is to use large ice pack to hang at the top of the tank and change it every 12 hours. Wonder any bro tried this method before? Ice may not last 12 hours but at least the temperature would be lowered and would be last for a while...I think..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just saw a few berried this morning. But still need to observe till i see the shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fan cooling your tank by evaporation. When water evaporate it absorb heat. It does not matter what is your room temperature is, it will drop max 3 degree from room/surounding temperature. It is also depend on the climate, it work better in dry climate because it evaporate more. This also mean that it will cool better if your house have good ventilation. Wind will cary water vapour as a result more water evaporate
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

You are right that evaporation takes place. But however, evaporation do not determine the temperature. I have tried, with and without my aircon switched on and there are a lot of differences in the temperature reduction but not much differences in evaporation level.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bigfthing View Post
    I just saw a few berried this morning. But still need to observe till i see the shrimplets.
    That's good to hear. I looking foward to see mine carrying eggs.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It does not matter what is your room temperature is, it will drop max 3 degree from room/surounding temperature.
    It does. Mine dropped from 29+ to 22+ and that is 7 deg.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpong View Post
    You are right that evaporation takes place. But however, evaporation do not determine the temperature. I have tried, with and without my aircon switched on and there are a lot of differences in the temperature reduction but not much differences in evaporation level.
    first of all you are using aircon, even without fan your tank temperature probably will drop around your aircon temperature.

The question is why your fan does not work, my guess is
    1) room where your tank is have poor circulation
    2) your fan is too small or too slow or pointing at wrong direction
    3) your other equipment such as light and filter heat up the water faster than the fan can reduce it.

if none of the above then time to scratch head

Any way there are many article on the web on water evaporation cooling effect. One good example is
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00130.htm
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    first of all you are using aircon, even without fan your tank temperature probably will drop around your aircon temperature.

The question is why your fan does not work, my guess is
    1) room where your tank is have poor circulation
    2) your fan is too small or too slow or pointing at wrong direction
    3) your other equipment such as light and filter heat up the water faster than the fan can reduce it.

if none of the above then time to scratch head

Any way there are many article on the web on water evaporation cooling effect. One good example is
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/phy00130.htm
    I already stated that my other 2 tanks did not. It is hovering between 26 to 27 in an aircon room without fan. A 3-4 good deg off from the one with fan. And those 2 were smaller tanks too. My aircon is set to 16.

What is the lowest temp you manage to achieve with fan? And mind to share your tank size and fan brand?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

normally aircon room is very dry. therefore the evaporation rate will be faster and cooling of the tank with fan will be faster and lower.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The other method I thought of is to use large ice pack to hang at the top of the tank and change it every 12 hours. Wonder any bro tried this method before? Ice may not last 12 hours but at least the temperature would be lowered and would be last for a while...I think..
    Google Pykrete, longest lasting ice mixture known and is easy to make and cheap too!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is the lowest temp you manage to achieve with fan? And mind to share your tank size and fan brand?
    2ft tank, temperature without fan 30 degree, with fan 27-28 degree. DIY using 2x5.5cm diameter fan, blow in about 45 degree to the water surface
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, fan itself does cool off via evaporation. When looking at singapore, you would look a humidity too. Eviltrain brought out that point.

If a room is cool, so will the tank. If you stay near to vegetation, it would likewise be cooler so combined with good fan during a cool and rainy night, temperature can reach 24.7C max. It can't go down further.

When looking at temperature change with evaporation, E.g. My Cann 3000 said 3-5C, it only achived 1C diff. I then look into the heat source. Have less heat source would then lower temperature further. Next thing is to look at wind direction. Now my house got top windows and bottom ones. Top are smaller and bottom are bigger. Usually I leave the top slightly open to allow air to flow. For 10 years, I try not to increase furniture so that air will flow freely. When looking at air flow, if front is input, back will be output so opening windows to allow air to flow out.

When looking at evaporation, do take note not to do it in the place where all your electrical stuffs are. Just a gentle reminder. Lastly, maintain your fan too so that it will work efficiently for you.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Guys, fan itself does cool off via evaporation. When looking at singapore, you would look a humidity too. Eviltrain brought out that point.

If a room is cool, so will the tank. If you stay near to vegetation, it would likewise be cooler so combined with good fan during a cool and rainy night, temperature can reach 24.7C max. It can't go down further.

When looking at temperature change with evaporation, E.g. My Cann 3000 said 3-5C, it only achived 1C diff. I then look into the heat source. Have less heat source would then lower temperature further. Next thing is to look at wind direction. Now my house got top windows and bottom ones. Top are smaller and bottom are bigger. Usually I leave the top slightly open to allow air to flow. For 10 years, I try not to increase furniture so that air will flow freely. When looking at air flow, if front is input, back will be output so opening windows to allow air to flow out.

When looking at evaporation, do take note not to do it in the place where all your electrical stuffs are. Just a gentle reminder. Lastly, maintain your fan too so that it will work efficiently for you.

I heard that if one is using cannister filter, temperature will rise?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you ask me, my personal view is yes. How much the temperature raise would depend on the brand/model you have. Sometimes it is just how you setup. But rather than to rely on other people opinion, I advocate experience it, then learn to tackle it. But forum consist of people who do not advocate having learning curve and everything must be perfect. Most of the time, it is not the filter but the lights. Everyone is entitled to their views. I won't contest that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Learning is good. Sharing experience is good. But care must be taken to post correct information and not mislead. Also good to mention when the information is based on own experience and that it is not robustly tested.

The amount that water is able to cool depends on the surroundings and many factors. Evaporation helps water to lose heat. Fans help water to lose heat FASTER by speeding up evaporation. It does that by constantly moving new 'drier' air over the water to pick up water vapour, and move that now moisture laden air away.

Many things heat up the tank water. Among them are the filter and lights. These and other factors (like ambient room temperature) heat the water up at a certain rate. The water (without fan) loses heat at a certain rate. There is a point of equilibrium which is the constant (more or less) temperature of your water.

By using fans, we help the water to lose heat faster, thereby lowering the point of equilibrium.

There are other ways to help the water cool.
    1. Lowering the room ambient temperature. Air-conditioning (but not feasible for some) and good ventilation helps for sure.
    2. Ventilation to ensure heat and humidity does not build up and stay in the room. Thereby allowing water to evaporate more efficiently and lose heat.
    3. Placing the tank in a cooler part of the house. Example, in a room that is not heated by the sun for many hours a day. Compare the penthouse and the basement.

Basically, the point is, fans by themselves can only do so much. If the surroundings is hot and does not promote heat lost, then the fan is not going to be effective. Two key points:
    - Good ventilation to prevent build up of heat and humidity around the tank.
    - Place the tank in a cooler part of the house if possible.

We can give many suggestions, but only you know the details of your set up. If you understand the key points above, you will know what you can do to help your tank lower temperature.

As for filters, my personal opinion is that does contribute to some extend. Obviously a filter which has it's motor submersed in the water, is going to heat up the water to some extend. Canister filters? Depend on their design. Do they use efficient motors and do they use materials that prevent heat build up (ever wondered why Eheim uses fragile ceramic axles in their canister filters instead of tough metal?), do they place the motor so that it minimises contact with water? Do they have a efficient heat lost design? (Compare the cheap filters that were prevalent during the Lou Han craze that have overheated and in some cases cause fires v.s. the story of an Eheim canister filter that ran dry for 20 hours without overheating (i.e. does not burn skin).)

In planted tanks, we look at temperature lost in a small range. The 'Holy Grail' 26 Celsius v.s. ambient 33-34 Celsius are only 7 to 8 Celsius apart. Even if the filter contributes half a celcius, it is a 6% contribution. Significant for some people.
    Last edited by vinz; 31st Mar 2010 at 12:42. Reason: Spelling
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Vincent covers almost all.

The normal range of humidity for the month is 81-85% at current. I don't monitor entire year but recently been looking at weather hence, just my personal observation. I forgot whether I pm diazman or posted in his thread. Look at heat source and reduce them. From your ceiling lighting to your tank lights, to filters, to any other possible heat source such as an amplifer that is kept running. You might say its crazy but sound system are kept warm for optimum use for those who are really into that hobby.

Ok. Now for MY current setup and surroundings. I am near to Gambas vegetation, its about two bus stop length away but basically it is not blocked...at least for the moment. Direct sunlight as seen by Aquanoob, Wackytpt, Edmund, Reveru, etc. during day time. Just happened to drive past my house during the outing.

Ceiling centre - 20W 6500K circular (small)
    Ceiiling left right - 2x 10W Osram Dulux D. These are part of the 6 small lights around my living room. Saving money and still keep cool and keep my greenish (cyan) colored living room lighted. Planned this 10 years back, been saving a lot of electricity on this setup. Got another 2x32w 6500K circular lights in the centre of the living room. Its L shaped. So the tank is located at the short L. There are 2 center.

It is a bit humid now, so I just took the temp shot so you can see. Lights just off about 46mins from this post.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

why your 2 x 1ft does not cool down to a lower temp?

1. less surface area for heat exchange
    2. rate of heat loss slower due to lack of wind assistance i.e. the fan.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just bought a cooling fan (brand - Water Plant) for my 2ft tank. To my surprise, temperature dropped about 3 degree Celsius within 4 hours.
    The only setback is the wind noise. The fan motor itself is quiet enough.
    Anybody can suggest how to reduce the wind noise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast