Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Help with shrimp tank

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Help with shrimp tank

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm new to shrimp keeping.

    Recently set up my planted tank and cycled it for about a week, tested to see if everything is ok, did a 50% water change before ackimating and putting in the shrimps,. These shrimps were from a worm infested tank with no substrate. Had worms might be because of bacter ae and also my wife and daughter overfeeding.. I cleared the worms by filtering them out over organic no bleach tissue. 1 week into the new tank, they started dying.. on closer inspection the shrimplets innards are pinkish, can't really see on the adult shrimps. I read on google that it's a bacterial infection of micrococci and when I see pink, it's probably far too gone to help with treatment.. Hope someone can shed some light as to what is happening with them and possible cures or its something I didn't do right. Substrate is Gex shrimp and plants.

    My water parameters

    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 5.0ppm
    Ph 6.6

    Attached photos of my tank and the worms which I cleared. Googled the worms and it seems like detritus worms. Roast me for not keeping the hatchery properly.. I'm sorry..

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Hi there,
    Currently, you can dose it with non-copper medicine (though i don't remember seeing any shrimp medicine before) and monitor them. Take note if there are anymore infection in the healthy ones. Unfortunately, prevention is better than cure in shrimps. I also think that it is more cost effective to restart your shrimp colony. Do clean up the tank to prevent linger bacterial infection!
    It is hard to know what went wrong without knowing the situation in the worm infested tank. Although hardy, neocaridina do not like water parameters changes especially temperature. Some people do drip acclimatization for shrimps (ultimate fail-safe method in my opinion). When i used to keep neocaridina, i just float the bag of shrimps in water for 30-60 min then scope them out and put them in my tank.
    Every tank with substrate probably have detritus worms. When you can see them means they are breeding like crazy due to overfeeding. You can feed the detritus worms to most fishes actually.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Ic, I do drip acclimatization for all of them. Maybe I'll start by doing water changes everyday. Or add some hydrogen peroxide..

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    No dont add hydrogen peroxide.
    I had this before.Immediately dispose of shrimp that have the symptoms.They wont make it.Make sure u clean out yr tanks and use indian almond leaves. High temp here in sg plus overfeeding def will cause disaster.
    I had a whole colony except one wiped out by this.(100+)
    Mosquito rasbora will eat the worms otherwise no planaria might work. Planaria=worm??
    If want to try medication do it in a seperate tank.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Is Indian almond leaves ketapang leaves for Bettas?

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by zong021 View Post
    Hi there,
    Currently, you can dose it with non-copper medicine (though i don't remember seeing any shrimp medicine before) and monitor them. Take note if there are anymore infection in the healthy ones. Unfortunately, prevention is better than cure in shrimps. I also think that it is more cost effective to restart your shrimp colony. Do clean up the tank to prevent linger bacterial infection!
    It is hard to know what went wrong without knowing the situation in the worm infested tank. Although hardy, neocaridina do not like water parameters changes especially temperature. Some people do drip acclimatization for shrimps (ultimate fail-safe method in my opinion). When i used to keep neocaridina, i just float the bag of shrimps in water for 30-60 min then scope them out and put them in my tank.
    Every tank with substrate probably have detritus worms. When you can see them means they are breeding like crazy due to overfeeding. You can feed the detritus worms to most fishes actually.
    Unfortunately, I can't see the innards if the adults. So just doing large water changes close to the current water parameters for the time being. Well good news is that no shrimps passed on today. Will monitor and update as the days goes by

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    yep ketapang leaves.The shrimps love to graze on it and has anti fungal as well as anti bacterial effects.generally for mine it starts out as a white line at the gut area in abdomen.So sorry for the late reply!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Thank you all for the information! I will try to add half a leaf on the next water change. After a few days, only 1 more passed on and it's a big one. I hope it's just due to age. Have seen quite a bit of melting by several shrimps. So hope all is well!

    By the way, anyone have readings on their Singapore tap water parameters? Mine seems to be very weird.

    Ph - 8.4
    Ammonia - 2.0ppm
    Nitrite - 1.0ppm
    Nitrate - 20ppm

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    U used API master test kit?Ammonia rlly high.Ph on high side also but our tap water is alkaline.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Yeah it's the API freshwater master test kit. I was surprised at the results too.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetxx View Post
    Yeah it's the API freshwater master test kit. I was surprised at the results too.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Did you use anti chlorine or no?Where do you live?I have the same prob again too after clearing out the tank last time I wonder if they came with the shrimp 1+1 package.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Yeah I do use anti chlorine. I live in Tampines area. The new development side. What's shrimp 1+1 package?

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Shrimp with disease lol.Did u test after using anti chlorine?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Can I suggest you don't do a huge water change as shrimps are very sensitive to huge water parameter changes.
    And your tank are pretty new so I suggest you cycle your tank for about 1 to 2 months for the Nitrifying bacteria to colonize around your tank and HOB filter.
    Does your HOB filter has bio media for the bacteria to colonize? do you have a chiller? Your Nitrite level should be as low as possible, your plant should be able to do the job after it is fully grown.
    Do you have a chiller? What is your tank temperature? I assume you are keeping cherry shrimp? The temperature range should be between 25 to 27 Degree Celsius, preferably 26 Degree Celsius.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Shrimp with disease lol.Did u test after using anti chlorine?
    Oh. Lol 1 + 1, makes sense. I don't have the liquid test for chlorine, but I have tetra test strips and it shows 0.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by NyX View Post
    Can I suggest you don't do a huge water change as shrimps are very sensitive to huge water parameter changes.
    And your tank are pretty new so I suggest you cycle your tank for about 1 to 2 months for the Nitrifying bacteria to colonize around your tank and HOB filter.
    Does your HOB filter has bio media for the bacteria to colonize? do you have a chiller? Your Nitrite level should be as low as possible, your plant should be able to do the job after it is fully grown.
    Do you have a chiller? What is your tank temperature? I assume you are keeping cherry shrimp? The temperature range should be between 25 to 27 Degree Celsius, preferably 26 Degree Celsius.
    I'm now doing 10% water change every 4 to 5 days and top up every day. Right now, ammonia and nitrite at close to non existent and nitrate at 40ppm which is high..

    And no I don't have a chiller. My only filter media in my HOB is a coarse sponge and charcoal pouch. Which I replace 2 weeks apart from each other.

    My tank temp is about 26 on the surface given the cool weather we are having these few days. And yes, I'm keeping cherry shrimps.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetxx View Post
    I'm now doing 10% water change every 4 to 5 days and top up every day. Right now, ammonia and nitrite at close to non existent and nitrate at 40ppm which is high..

    And no I don't have a chiller. My only filter media in my HOB is a coarse sponge and charcoal pouch. Which I replace 2 weeks apart from each other.

    My tank temp is about 26 on the surface given the cool weather we are having these few days. And yes, I'm keeping cherry shrimps.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I suggest you buy Seachem DeNitrate as your bio media to replace the sponge and charcoal for your Nitrifying Bacteria to grow?
    Your Inflow sponge should be able to filter all the junk for your shrimp to snack on.
    And try and get some bacteria liquid for your tank for example AquaVitro Seed.

    hope I could help you to minimize your shrimp death.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    Quote Originally Posted by NyX View Post
    I suggest you buy Seachem DeNitrate as your bio media to replace the sponge and charcoal for your Nitrifying Bacteria to grow?
    Your Inflow sponge should be able to filter all the junk for your shrimp to snack on.
    And try and get some bacteria liquid for your tank for example AquaVitro Seed.

    hope I could help you to minimize your shrimp death.
    I was looking through and was thinking of the following:

    Brightwell Aquatics NitratR
    Seachem DeNitrate
    Seachem Tidal Matrix
    Nitra-Guard Bio Cubes Titanium
    RIO Nitrate + Nitrite Pad

    My inlet flow is fine mesh and it gets clogged easily, but worth it to prevent hatchlings swimming in.

    I'm currently using fritz 7 for bacteria.

    Any advice is helpful!

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    I only use Seachem DeNitrate for small flow filter and Seachem Matrix for high flow filter, other brand I don't really trust much.
    Since you are using HOB filter just buy a small bottle of Seachem DeNitrate to replace all your medie, remember to wash it before using it.

    I think Coarse filter sponge is better then fine metal mesh for your inflow? I always clean the inflow sponge weekly in the past.
    And I suggest you might want to invest in small canister filter so you can put in more media and do less cleaning.

    And you might want to search up AquaVitro Seed and AquaVitro Remediation as your liquid bacteria dosing.
    Seed is for Nitrifying Bacteria to propagate and Remediation is for breaking down bio-load.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Help with shrimp tank

    I see. Do I need to put them in a bag? Or just chuck them all in? Which canister filter do you recommend? Haha hopefully its budget enough.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •