Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Collected material from wild. Whats acceptable?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Collected material from wild. Whats acceptable?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    If all sterilization processes and quarantine time are taken, are there anythings that should not be used in a terrarium/vivarium. For instance I live in an area with pine trees and many of the old over turned ones have amazing twisted root structures that would make great hardscape materiel but I m not sure if pine has any draw backs I'm not aware of. I've seen warnings about using pine in inhabited setups as it can off gas some chemical that can be dangerous to sensitive animals, but will that hurt springtails and isopods? There will be no animals except the clean up crew in my next one. Also this wood is old, years dead. Any help would be appreciated.
    -P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Collected material from wild. Whats acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by pship View Post
    If all sterilization processes and quarantine time are taken, are there anythings that should not be used in a terrarium/vivarium. For instance I live in an area with pine trees and many of the old over turned ones have amazing twisted root structures that would make great hardscape materiel but I m not sure if pine has any draw backs I'm not aware of. I've seen warnings about using pine in inhabited setups as it can off gas some chemical that can be dangerous to sensitive animals, but will that hurt springtails and isopods? There will be no animals except the clean up crew in my next one. Also this wood is old, years dead. Any help would be appreciated.
    -P
    Zero experience.Here in Singapore, we buy wood instead of collecting it haha. Over in neighbouring country Indonesia people do collect wood to use in their scapes though. But pine trees do not really live in the tropics as a colder place is needed. Isopods and springtails do not seem sensitive to me as they are commonly found in many woodland areas. If its some common isopods and/or springtails just chuck them in.Otherwise observe if there are any springtails or isopods living near the area with pine trees. Old wood also seems fine to me. Just my thoughts. You will have better luck on other forums I think.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Zero experience.Here in Singapore, we buy wood instead of collecting it haha. Over in neighbouring country Indonesia people do collect wood to use in their scapes though. But pine trees do not really live in the tropics as a colder place is needed. Isopods and springtails do not seem sensitive to me as they are commonly found in many woodland areas. If its some common isopods and/or springtails just chuck them in.Otherwise observe if there are any springtails or isopods living near the area with pine trees. Old wood also seems fine to me. Just my thoughts. You will have better luck on other forums I think.

What other forums would you suggest?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pship View Post
    What other forums would you suggest?
    ukaps or plantedtank.net