Country
    Singapore

My Fundulopanchax Gardeni from Thailand

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi AQs,

I just bot a pack of FP.Gardeni and they hatched. . its been low temp and rainy all Jan and i am waiting and watching
    and 3 came out so far.. am gona try out the Chopstick method but keeping fingers really crossed.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-21 at 3.55.13 PM.jpg

Ive put them in a small container with a lot of plants in them from the big tank for the infusoria... Not sure what else to feed em.. the brine ships are as big as them,. not sure how they can eat.. will keep you posted!

any tips or tricks is greatly welcome. help me raise them to adults..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My Fundulopanchax Gardeni from Thailand

Sad to say People.. 2 of them did not make it.. one made it to a guppy fry size after so ling.. Hoping its a female.. cos some times LFS sells the males.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello

You can probably get females at LFSes too, just have to look hard. There are often a few females mixed in with every batch of mostly male fish.

Or I have a friend who keeps F. gardneri (or nigerianus, the two species are quite similar), and you can get fish from him. PM me or reply here if you need that.

I also have quite a few other killie species nowadays (10++ species right now), so if you're really keen to get into them, now is a great time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Great news..😬 😬. The Gods have spoken. I did a 2 week re dunk. Now i have about 11 fry. Totaling it to 12.. Just transfered them to a ikea salma box.

I have ordered the 6 pak from Thailand as well i will also include those updates here.

Thanks Boofeng, glad to see your reply. Yes I was looking for someone who are into killis now. Thanks for replying. I will ping you when i have something useful to share. Right now Noob killi keeper

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good to hear about your success. And all the best with the Thailand eggs. Which species did you get?

I'm glad to meet a fellow killie hobbyist too - there are so few of us around in SG/MY. I'm in touch with a few other killie guys, but not on the forums. We're on a WhatsApp group chat. Can add you into that if you're keen ^_^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

eggersi red
    GUentheri
    Rachivoli
    Patrizii
    Forershci
    Palmquisti

yes please do send the whats-app link. I cant seem to send a PM...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice set of nothos - exciting

You can't send PMs because you need a certain post count for that. Let me try to PM you the link.

Edit: can't send you PM too. Here's the link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/LBzEBy1Xk7X4ZhPqddIuf6

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

THanks a lot. On the side note.. I feed them Quian hu Super baby food.. BBS are too big.. not sure if they are eating also.. the fry are so so small..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does any one have Daphnia Culture to spare?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by noah2125 View Post
    Does any one have Daphnia Culture to spare?
    I maintain a few backup cultures but not in large quantity. I can spare 10+ animals of various sizes.

Very few people are active on this forum any more. For example, all the guys I know who still maintain cultures of daphnia are not here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool. I have managed to acquire moina from C328 , and i have got more great news.. most of the eggs i got from thailand... the Nothos bunch have hatched..

what i have done is.. i have put all the monia in clean water and have a culture going and then i dropped the fry tray into it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the first batch of panchax just one loner.. swiming with second and 3rd batch of fry is now about close to 1 inch and its always in the surface now i think its a male. .. atleast they can handle BBS .. the second bunch of killi eggs have hatched .. about 30 of them..

Daphnia does not seem to sustain tannin.. where as killi fish love tannin.. also if you leave plants in there for infusoria. tannin kills the light so the plants rot and hence more infusoria but then it kills the oxygent.. running on a very gentle aristone.. the fry are so fragile.. extreme.. even guppy fry will zoom off strong during siphon..

more upates later

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I emailed the sellers in thailand about the cololection code for these fish.. they came out blur..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the first batch of panchax just one loner.. swiming with second and 3rd batch of fry is now about close to 1 inch and its always in the surface now i think its a male. .. atleast they can handle BBS .. the second bunch of killi eggs have hatched .. about 30 of them..

Daphnia does not seem to sustain tannin.. where as killi fish love tannin.. also if you leave plants in there for infusoria. tannin kills the light so the plants rot and hence more infusoria but then it kills the oxygent.. running on a very gentle aristone.. the fry are so fragile.. extreme.. even guppy fry will zoom off strong during siphon..

more upates later
    Congrats with the killies - fun isn't it? And really, not that hard. I wonder why more people don't try it.

About daphnia and tannin, I have tried Daphnia magna in low pH, tannin-stained water - they did not survive. They do survive in my tanks/tubs using dechlorinated tap water and salted water (0.5 to 1 gram per litre).

I found that uneaten moina stay alive even in acidic and tannin-stained water, for a couple of days at least (potentially even longer - I have just "topped up" moina into these tubs and there are always some swimming about).

I emailed the sellers in thailand about the cololection code for these fish.. they came out blur..
    That's usually the case. I don't think anyone has ever managed to get collection codes from the Thai sellers. They just don't keep track of it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the first batch loner turns out to be a beautiful female. its already colored up and looks like an adult.. the rest of them are just having young fettish over her. she is aggressive also. around 10 fish in the box. the notho gang on the other box hatched out feb 1 is doing well. 2 fry died due to un known reasons.. i killed one fry when i sucked it with siphon tube the other end went into a carpet. . coundt find him.. any ways ants were there the ikan billis would have fed them. one male Guntheri has colored up. its extremely dominating will separate them this week end.

first task is to sepo the males out..
    next ID the females.. I am gona sweat