Country
    Singapore

Introducing my Opae Ula setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this group and just thought I'd share my 3. yr-old Opae ula set-up. After reieveing these shrimp (8 adults and
    3 larvae, to begin with,) my numbers swelled to 500+. Worrying that my aquarium would become overwhelmed, should
    they continue to breed out of control, I decided to transition my brackish water set-up to a 100% freshwater set-up, so they
    would stop breeding an the numbers would stay stable. I did this slowly, over a matter of weeks.
    I now find this set-up easier to maintain; instead of having to mix new brackish water, after I remove 20% of the water, every
    2 weeks, I now only add fresh distilled water to top the tank up again.
    My shrimp are happy and healthy and the only numbers that I have to watch are the population of Malaysian Trumpet snails
    (extras are fished out and fed to my other fish.) However, it is worth having these flexible little snails, they do a good job at
    crawling in the gravel and eating any food/poop left behind by the shrimp or the bilfilm that is growing there. Definately the best
    clean-up crew I've ever kept!
    I'm going to have a go at embedding some photos. Pls be patient, as I've never tried this, before.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Introducing my Opae Ula setup

Some more pics:

Feeding frenzy!

Hope you enjoyed! Jules

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow nice... where did u get the coral fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I found it on Ebay. Because it is dark, the algae doesn't show, but with all of the shrimp on it, pretty sure it is like an all-you-can-eat buffet for them!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How big is your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My tank is 80L

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Introducing my Opae Ula setup

Nice shrimp army and set up. Where did you get the shrimp from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I got my shrimp from a friend who was breeding them. He got out of the hobby quite a while ago. I am also downsizing my set-up due to work obligations. Does anyone know of a good platform to sell on? I know you aren't allowed to sell any shrimp here and sales of live animals also aren't allowed on Carousell (although I have seen plenty of people give away animals for free on there.) Anyone know anyway easy way to set up my own advertisement online? I'm not that tech-savy!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm in the process of setting up an ad on Gumtree. I go by Jules1982 over there. Feel free to check it out, once the ad goes live.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok, Gumtree also says I can't advertize the shrimp, because I didn't put the age and vaccination info of the anmal...I did put age of the shrimp (I put 'adult') and how do you vaccinate shrimp?! LOL!
    Anyone know of any platform that would let me advertize my shrimp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey, remember me? The guppy seller. Same for me. How did you vaccinate guppies? This is so frustrating, I already contacted the gumtree support and stated in my guppy ad the age and them being quarantined.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahahahaha vaccination for guppy and shrimp?
    If there are any way, please let me know. I will like to patent this drug vaccination. Maybe i could be the next Vigra

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Guppies and shrimp also got COVID-19??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

XD XD XD. Nope, just to prevent diseases like fungal infection. I think just quarantine the fish in tank, no need vaccinations.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey bro’s! If you are looking for Opae Ula, head down to WildBoar FishRooms on Jalan Jurong Kechil! The guy there called Isaac is very friendly and he has a lot of other freshwater fish in beautiful condition. Check them out on Facebook to find their opening days and hours and see what he has in stock just now!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello, i want to start pet shrimp as a first timer.. May i know your setup? What the cost of your setup and your tips and advice.. Please

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jules, you can consider selling thru telegram, there are a few chats for that.

https://t.me/ShrimpChatSG

https://t.me/PetsLivestocksBuySellSG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My setup was so long ago that I now have no recollection what i paid. So sorry about that. However, I would advise that you get a tank as large as you can afford, because the larger the volume of water is, the more stable it will be. I advise that you do heat the tank, if it is in a place with aircon, as your shrimp will be much happier with stable water temperatures. I also suggest that you do have some filtration; I use bubble filters, some of the cheap kind bought for about $7 at your LFS. Not only does it keep your own tank going, but if a friend has a cycle crash in their own aquarium, you can give them yours that is already seeded, to help save lives in their own tank. My shrimp also love playing in the bubbles that rise to the water surface. I also recommend using some kind of clean-up crew, to help break down waste food that doesn’t get eaten. In a brackish water tank, your options are more limited, as most snails can either live in saltwater or in freshwater. For brackish water, I use Malaysian Trumpet snails and those also seem to be happy and thriving, now I’ve converted the tank to freshwater (They are still breeding, although the shrimp no longer are.)
    Finally, definitely use substrate. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate seem to be much more lethal to delicate shrimp and from what I have personally experienced, pollution builds up much more quickly in a bare-bottom tank. With 2 inches of gravel, food may slip down, but it is then treated and detoxified by the millions of beneficial bacteria that are living in the gravel bed. It is essentially a great means of filtering your water. My shrimp tank with the Opae Ula is one of only two I have done that have never crashed...all the others had bare bottoms, because I mistakenly believed that I could keep a bare-bottom tank cleaner. That was a mistake I’m never going to make again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ps, snails in the tank are great for cycling it, as well. Pls resist the urge to introduce shrimp before you tank has properly cycled. You will need to monitor your tank to ensure that the ammonia level increases, then goes back down (naturally, not because you just replaced all of the water with fresh; allow the tank time to build up beneficial bacteria,) then the nitrite level, then finally the nitrate level. Do your water changes as needed (ie, when the ammonia and nitrate has dropped and the nitrate is still rising,) but until the ammonia level and the nitrate level go down on their own, it means your beneficial bacteria level will not be at the level you will need it to be, so resist the urge to just replace all of the water, until everything is back down to zero. In a cycling tank, everything needs to go through the correct process, to ensure the shrimp will stay safe, after you add them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast