Country
    Singapore

Chiller - Hailea HS 28A Mod

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

So I restarted planted tank after an absence of 8 years...Been a long while... Bought myself a new tank, a second-hand Chihiros WRSG, a Eheim Classic 350 and a Hailea HS-28A chiller. (Pending the DIY Co2 kit from ebay)

Set up the tank with a Japanese (non Amano) brand substrate. All work well... Except the when the chiller fan kicks in the sound is a bit loud... So decided to mod/upgrade the fan. Chiller came with an ac Jamicon JA1238H2B. So went down to Sim Lim Tower to get a replacement. Went to the shop at the basement near the escalator and asked for the quietest ac fan - the bloke looked me up and down - Must be thinking this uncle ... haiz. So he proceed to educate me on the sound volumn being directly proportional to the size of the fan etc... So ended picking one that he recommended - $11 for the fan and $2 for the adaptor/cable. Picked up one of those connectors for wires - as I expect to terminate the leads from the existing fan instead of re-soldering the leads to the ac.

The temp probe seems to be working well - waiting for the thermometer to arrive to do a check. I had also bought an external temp probe just in case ...

The modded chiller with the replacement fan... quieter than the original fan - mission accomplished. Attached the pics.
    First pic - chiller teardown
    Second pic - new fan installed and working
    Third pic - original fan

Should you require any clarification please drop me a note - happy to share my mod adventure with you.

PS: Due to the age of the chiller, the thermal insulation had decayed. So I stripped it and is currently looking for the insulation material - those from the aircon should do fine - anyone knows where I can get one will appreciate your info.

When I stripped off the insulation material - I also polished the copper pipes using some steel wool and WD40. After that, I sealed up the connections between the copper pipes to the water inlet and outlet with the piping tape and then with a layer of electrician tape.

The purchase story of this chiller also very interesting - asked the seller how long he had it... He said been using it for 6 months. Are you the first owner - he said yes... But when I open up the chiller, the amount of corrosion on the copper pipes doesnt tie with his story and there were missing screws on the chasis... Anyway, its caveat emptor... good thing is - the chiller is still working (after 3 days... keeping fingers crossed)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller - Hailea HS 28A Mod

Follow up on the mod... Managed to find the insulation material - Armaflex Insulation tape from Hardware City (CCK). Picked up a set of screws to replace the existing ones - longer so easier to screw - see pic.
    Copper tubes taped and insulated.
    IMG_5962.jpgIMG_5963.jpgIMG_5965.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Was looking at your post last week. Finally got to registering here to reply - welcome back to the hobby and great work.

I recently got a 28a too, and curious about swapping out the fan.

Do you remember which specific brand of fan, and exactly what sort of adapter?

And how is it running after almost 2 weeks?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi - Sorry for late reply - you can get the fan from Sim Lim Tower Basement shop next to escalator. Guang Zhuo Guo Heng Motor Model GH12038HA2BT 220v - 240v 50/60Hz 0.14A.
    Anyway, I swapped out the above fan and replace with Sanyo Denki 109S072UL San Ace 120 Cooling Fan 230V - slightly quieter - but this Japan made fan is expensive but I got it off ebay for a good price.

I have one spare fan now hahaha

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice!

Which sort of connector did you use? (for fan to the.. ?)

Is it the one in the picture?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by bulovalover View Post
    Follow up on the mod... Managed to find the insulation material - Armaflex Insulation tape from Hardware City (CCK). Picked up a set of screws to replace the existing ones - longer so easier to screw - see pic.
    Copper tubes taped and insulated.
    IMG_5962.jpgIMG_5963.jpgIMG_5965.jpg
    Mind sharing the screw length you ended up using?