Country
    Singapore

Pet Shrimp Hobby

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

I am very fascinated by shrimps I think they are really cute and interesting and I wish to pet them.
    But I have got no experience in petting any animals besides hamsters, so anyone is a subject expert on Shrimp can share your setup, tips and advice on pet shrimp??

1. Setup (tank setup/lighting/temperature/pH values/ vitamins / minerals / plantation.... ?)
    2. Diet
    3. Maintenance
    4. Types of shrimp
    5. Where to buy or catch them(if legally possible)
    6. What to expect
    7. Any shop to recommend to buy the whole setup ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pet Shrimp Hobby

Welcome to the world of poison.

1. Setup: The best would be to get a tank as big as the space and your budget allows, bigger tank = more stable water. the other requirements depends on the type of shrimps that you plan to rear.
    2. Diet: depends on what you rear as well, generally, most shrimps that I know of isnt a fussy eater.
    3. Maintenance regime: I would say it depends on the tank size and the type of shrimps you keep, I do alternate week water change and a weekly water top up (mine is 2*1*1 tank)
    4. There's a range from high PH (Marine shrimps), to brackish (opae ula), all the way down to acidic (rcs, crs, etc)
    5. most LFS sells the common RCS (red cherry shrimps), for the more specialized ones, I would advise you not to venture into those because of their very specific requirements.
    6. Lots of death at the initial stage, lots of poison from all the online research.
    7. Depending on where you stay, you can visit C328 (at clementi Blk 32, there's a stretch of like 4-5 LFS in that block alone

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To expand on setup, you’ll do best with at least a 40l tank, and a sponge filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Berny View Post
    Welcome to the world of poison.

1. Setup: The best would be to get a tank as big as the space and your budget allows, bigger tank = more stable water. the other requirements depends on the type of shrimps that you plan to rear.
    2. Diet: depends on what you rear as well, generally, most shrimps that I know of isnt a fussy eater.
    3. Maintenance regime: I would say it depends on the tank size and the type of shrimps you keep, I do alternate week water change and a weekly water top up (mine is 2*1*1 tank)
    4. There's a range from high PH (Marine shrimps), to brackish (opae ula), all the way down to acidic (rcs, crs, etc)
    5. most LFS sells the common RCS (red cherry shrimps), for the more specialized ones, I would advise you not to venture into those because of their very specific requirements.
    6. Lots of death at the initial stage, lots of poison from all the online research.
    7. Depending on where you stay, you can visit C328 (at clementi Blk 32, there's a stretch of like 4-5 LFS in that block alone
    Okay thank you for your suggestion. I will be taking them seriously! Will definitely be starting with a breed that is much sturdy at initial stage

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by motomage View Post
    Okay thank you for your suggestion. I will be taking them seriously! Will definitely be starting with a breed that is much sturdy at initial stage
    Some of the basic things to get:
    1. Anti chlorine (Look for those that removes chlorine and chloramine)
    2. Filter - If you plan to breed shrimps, sponge filter is the way to go.
    2.1. Air pump if you are using sponge filter.
    3. Test kits - Good to have, but not a must have, it lets you know if your tank is ready for shrimps, or if mass death occurs, you can find out on the water perimeters for troubleshooting.
    4. Soil/substrate - There are many different types out there, with different pros and cons, they keep your tank water stable and for bacterial to colonize.
    5. Lastly - Reverse Osmosis (RO) setup - again, good to have, but not a must have, if you have this, you can skip item 1 since the RO water is really, pure water. It is strongly recommended if you are housing very expensive shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am reading this "Cheapest Simple Tank - Neo Caridina Shrimp Set-up Guide" Plenty of details inside.. hahaha

Any idea where to read up the types of shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think i will start with The Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata), from what i read they are hardier which will make easier for a first timer. Anyone have success story of breeding Amano shrimp? I read that they need brackish water to breed?
    Last edited by motomage; 16th Mar 2020 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For as long as I can remember hobbyist telling everyone keeping these neo and neo caridinia requires RO water.

That was the only reason keeping me off getting these shrimps.

So to cut short the story, I was able to keep and breed both neo and neo caridinia shrimps in the same tank for the last 3 months.

Stable water parameters is the key. Of course adhering within the range of pH, Kh and Gh is a must. I believe a stable temperature of below 26c is key to breeding success especially for Caridinia shrimp.

My water uses only direct tap water with anti chlorine added. My tank is a high light tank with CO2 injection.

My tank & water parameter is as follows:
    250ltr 2x2x2.5ft tank.
    Diy LED 8hrs a day
    CO2 injection during lights on
    Chiller set to 24c
    pH - 6.8 - 6.5
    kh - 6
    gh - 6
    temp - 24c
    tds - 200 - 250

I also use automated liquid fert dosing for my plants which are mostly buceps and rotala ramosir florida. I also have a school of 25 sterbai cories, 6 otos and many snails.

So, I believe RO water and filter is unnecessary as I am able to not only keep but breed both caridinia and neos in same tank.

Stability is key. I only change water if nitrate goes up to 20ppm or tds reads more than 250uS. And usually up to 20% only. Topping up water usually require me to crank down chiller to 22C to offset the temp difference and set back to 24C when done.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Hong Kong

I kept Caridinia for about 3 year in a nano tank of 12 inchs in size, and also breed in the same tank.

Tank size 12x9x10 inch
    Twin LED light with duo row of LED (one light for red plants and one light for green plants)
    temp at 24C with a hailia chiller HC-130a
    PH 6.5
    TDS 150
    co2
    UV light
    Fluval Hang on Filter
    Filter water using Zerowater (much cheaper than RO)
    Auto water level system with 10 Litres water reservoir, tank water is changed every week, about 1.5 inch of water, water top up is using the Auto water level system.