Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: fish or shrimp recommendation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    No worries. I was and I still consider myself a beginner. Haha currently battling algae issues. When I first started I had to read through a lot, don't know where to start and don't know where to look for help.

For algae control, you'd have to see what kind of algae you have. No one animal can fix all. Like diatoms, you'll use otocinclus, but your water must be in tip top condition. Or green spot algae, you'd use nerite snails.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hows your set up looking?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jetxx View Post
    I assume you are not going the high tech route. You can google around for the Diana Wlastad method. She uses potting soil, but you have to be careful on which soil you choose and theres a whole bunch of plants that she recommends. I can only think of rotala rotundifolia, java fern, water wisteria, amazon sword, coontail.

Intermediate plants, if you get them right, pogostemon erectus and reineckii mini are nice. These 2 can grow nicely if you do your research and prepare well in a Walstad tank. Easy if they are done in a high tech tank.

Side note, if you take guppies, note that they breed very very fast. If breeding is not your thing, like taking care of 20 to 50 fries at a time, then get all males. If you wanna try breeding, then its 3 females to 1 male ratio. More males than females will stress the females to death.

Hi Jetxx, since you mention about Diana Walstad method. I have been searching for type of soil that are available in singapore and success.

If you do have a tank setting using Diana Walstad method, care to share the brand and packaging of the soil used?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I started my first Walstad jar with Jun Platinum black soil powder and some black gravel. Fishless cycle for 4 weeks before adding shrimp. Water parameters were good and ph was slightly above 7. I have a piece of driftwood and a stone. Had algae issues but the shrimps helped to take care of that. I even have shrimplets when I checked this morning! Am starting another but using Dennerle substrates this time.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12