Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: SOS! Top up tank with tap water with Seachem Prime instead of RO/DI, shrimps dying

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SOS! Top up tank with tap water with Seachem Prime instead of RO/DI, shrimps dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Help! It is my first time topping up my community tank with tap water that was pre-treated for a few hours with seachem prime instead of ro/di water! Did about a 20% water change. Now almost all my shrimp are bunched up in the corner, not moving at all. Got one even still alive but lying upside down.

I'm pretty sure I used the right amount of prime, but in your expert opinion did i maybe use too much or too little? Help please!

Additional information:
    Changed the scape around a little. Mainly sucked debris from the gravel. Tank has been established for about 7 months now. They have been doing fine all this while.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: SOS! Top up tank with tap water with Seachem Prime instead of RO/DI, shrimps dyin

Pics of the stationary shrimps. I prod some of them but they don't even move away

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 6.22.44 PM.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 6.22.48 PM.jpg

I added two more drops of Seachem Prime on the chance that I made a mistake and added too little. I read online that adding a double dose is safe anyway so that's why I did that. They SEEM to be moving slightly more, not sure if its because of what I did or merely a coincidence...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: SOS! Top up tank with tap water with Seachem Prime instead of RO/DI, shrimps dyin

I would like to know too. I have been using all my plastic bowls to store water overnight for water change

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Could be due to the sudden pH change. You have pre treat the water so should be ok in that sense.

My Blood Mary Neos also turn turtle at every water change but recover after 30 mins at every 20% water change. FYI, I sprinkle Seachem Safe while topping up the tank on the fly. I don't pre treat my top up water. I scrapped getting RO/DI filter and it seems not practical for me. I just have to avoid getting critters that require that kind of water parameter.

I suggest you do 10% water change next time round instead. Less water parameter changes. I recommend Seachem Safe rather than Seachem Prime as Seachem Safe is the powder version of Prime. Last longer before next purchase.

Anyway, hope they recover for you.
    Last edited by greenie; 6th Jun 2020 at 09:59. Reason: add