Country
    Singapore

Advice for Nano tank. 1.5 gallon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

I am fairly new to this hobby and have only kept 1 fish in a 5 gallon tank thus far. However, that tank resides in my living room and I wish to have a nano-er tank in my study room on my desk. I saw the 15x15x25 DOOA Neo Glass Air and fell in love with it. However, as the volume is so small I am looking for some advice.

My end goal would be a planted tank with some shrimps in there however I wish to start off with just plants to ensure the water conditions are stable enough for animals.

I would like to seek advice for the tank equipment first, get that sorted out then proceed to buy substrate and plants after.

• Filter - For such a small tank that would house shrimps. What kind of filter would you recommend? Silence is very important and I wouldnt mind spending a little more for something silent.

• Heater - I am guessing such a small tank would definitely require a heater? Especially if I turn on and off the air-condition daily. However, even compact heaters (Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater) seem fairly big for the tank listed above . Do you have any recommendations?

• CO2 - This is totally new to me, would you recommend liquid CO2 over a pressurized system? As I've read that it might be hard to dial in right the amount of CO2 to diffuse for smaller tanks

----------

What are some equipment you would recommend for me to check the various parameters of the tank to ensure that it is ready for shrimps?

thank you very much, any and all advice is greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice for Nano tank. 1.5 gallon

My daughter has a 2g planted tank with her favourite 2-3 guppies. Setup has been running for 3 months without any casualties and plants are doing very well.

We've tried many types of filters but still end up going back to HOB as the rest are either far too strong for the small tank (submersible filters) or simply not as efficient (sponge).

For co2, I'm using DIY so cannot comment about preasurized systems.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I recommend not to go small. For the price of DOAA, you can get 30x30x30 rimless tank, ista/shiruba HOB filter (200-300 l/hr), up aqua 25W heater, a 5W LED light and a tank mat. Buy easy plants so you can do w/o CO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by monx101 View Post
    I recommend not to go small. For the price of DOAA, you can get 30x30x30 rimless tank, ista/shiruba HOB filter (200-300 l/hr), up aqua 25W heater, a 5W LED light and a tank mat. Buy easy plants so you can do w/o CO2.
    I'm totally new to this. So, what sort of easy plants would you recommend for a newbie to try out? I've been reading various threads, and there seems to be quite a number. How many plants would you recommend for a 30x30x30 tank that will eventually have a betta and maybe a couple of companion creatures? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The tank is very small and shallow for any filter. Maybe shiruba pf60 can fit . Anubias tied on rock , java moss , hirsuta , mc , 53b , few other plants require low light and co2

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Easy plants for that size tank are anubias nana petite, java fern & java moss. All dont need strong lights. If you want to see full list of easy plants, go to tropica website and sort only "easy" plants. For how many plants its up to your budget and layout your going for. If you want inspiration go to greenaqua / serpadesign / cinescaper youtube channel and search for nano tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For betta aquascape you basically don't need much plants usually they suit blackwater setup the best. Driftwood, dried katapa leaves and plants i mentioned previously also add floating plants like frogbit or hornwort (can be used as floating plant). For tankmates i have green neon and ember tetra with my betta with no issues. Give your betta some hiding area like caves made from dried coconut shell or rocks formed to look like a cave. Also check yt channels mdfishtanks, aquapros and vladimir stojanovic. They show step by step how to aquascape tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by monx101 View Post
    For betta aquascape you basically don't need much plants usually they suit blackwater setup the best. Driftwood, dried katapa leaves and plants i mentioned previously also add floating plants like frogbit or hornwort (can be used as floating plant). For tankmates i have green neon and ember tetra with my betta with no issues. Give your betta some hiding area like caves made from dried coconut shell or rocks formed to look like a cave. Also check yt channels mdfishtanks, aquapros and vladimir stojanovic. They show step by step how to aquascape tanks.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will go check out the Youtube channels.