Country
    Singapore

How to kill Staghorn Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is how I eliminate staghorn algae.

Tank parameter - water volume is 200ltr (approx). CO2 injection using inline diffuser. Fert dosing using EI via dosing pump. High Lighting 11hrs with 3hr siesta in between.

Chemical used - Seachem Excel
    H2O2 - (Hydrogen Peroxide)

Dosage - Seachem Excel 4x recommended. For me is 4 caps.
    Hydrogen Peroxide (3% Concentration) - 1ml per 3 litres.

Daily dosing until 7 days.
    Step 1 - 8am Seachem Excel
    Step 2 - 9pm Seachem Excel + Hydrogen peroxide.

Do note using higher dosage of Seachem Excel will deplete oxygen in the water, so I added an airstone to supplement oxygen,

Staghorn.jpg

Reasons for the bloom is the staghorn algae spores might be introducesd when I added Cherry shrimps and Crystal Shrimps. Due to keeping CRS, I reduce my frequency of water changes to prevent too much change in water parameters like KH,GH,PH and temp. Slowly my CRS start to acclimatise to twice weekly 25% water changes.

No death occured for my Cherries and Crystals. Many are berried.

20200823_081301.jpg
    crs.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to kill Staghorn Algae

I use a syringe to dose algae in localized spot.
    Turn off filtration and any pumps that moves the water.
    Draw the correct amount of Seachem Flourish Excel into the syringe as appropriate for the tank. Mine was 1.5 ml for my tank.
    I would take 1.0 ml to not overdose.
    Point your syringe at the infected algae location and squirt a tiny bit onto the algae.
    If you have more than one algae location, do so on those area.
    Just remember, for me, I have 1.0 ml to dose all the content into the tank. Nothing more.
    Wait couple of minutes then switch back all your filtration and pumps.
    Repeat on couple of days and the algae will magically goes away.
    I experimented the Seachem Flourish Excel on my marimo moss ball.. one drop on one spot of the moss ball.
    That spot, turns brown. Melted.
    That's one precaution to note about Seachem flourish excel... it kills algae and close relatives of the algae.. and mosses are very alike to algae. They are not really a plant.
    So be careful.
    To clean algae on moss balls, just remove it from the tank, use a toothbrush and brush it lightly over running water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to kill Staghorn Algae

I stop spot dosing as definitely I can't ensure surrounding plants will be overdose.

I do agree spot dosing kills the algae faster at the specific spots because concentration is higher when dose before it slowly dissipates.

I've shown that dosing the whole tank is beneficial because I can get to those algae that I can't spot visually. It's also beneficial to the plants in tank as the "liquid CO2" helps with plant growth.

With spot dosing, I will encounter on and off algae growth as the algae spores still exist. With whole tank daily dosing in higher concentration for 2 weeks, I can assume all algae, including spores are gone provided I don't accidentally reintroduce algae spores again.

And certain plants and most moss don't do well if Excel is dose in higher concentrations with whole tank or spot dosing.