Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: question about Betta Fishes sold in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

question about Betta Fishes sold in Singapore.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guru,

Was asked by my kids whenever visiting LFS, why are most of Betta sell in colored water? Normally blue. Are those Betta fishes sick or they have to kept in those special liquid in order to survive?

Please advise and Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: question about Betta Fishes sold in Singapore.

have you ask the seller why is kept in color water?

maybe is preventive medication for the fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Once asked and the seller mentioned those are acidic PH water for the fish. If I don't like it, can slowly dilute it to normal clear water...

Tried once to slowly dilute the color, ended up the beta doesn't live long.

That's why I am seeking an answer here. Don't know the dead of my beta is due to this water or something else?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Usually blue water (medicated solution added to the water) prevent fin rot, ich and reduce stress. Brown water are katapan that have anti bacteria.

Beta prefer acidic water, and was advise not to keep them at higher PH. However, there are people who kept betta at higher PH.

The cause of your betta could be 1: it is already sick when you bought home. 2: your tank is not yet cycled. 3: sudden fluctuations from packet water ph to ur tank ph. Many various reason. So will need to know which of the main 3 reason stated fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    Usually blue water (medicated solution added to the water) prevent fin rot, ich and reduce stress. Brown water are katapan that have anti bacteria.

Beta prefer acidic water, and was advise not to keep them at higher PH. However, there are people who kept betta at higher PH.

The cause of your betta could be 1: it is already sick when you bought home. 2: your tank is not yet cycled. 3: sudden fluctuations from packet water ph to ur tank ph. Many various reason. So will need to know which of the main 3 reason stated fits.

Hi Genki89, thanks for the information and analysis. I would said case #3 is the highest chance of cause, but then I have already diluting the water using dip method. May be I dip too fast. The beta was active and healthy for the first few day in my tank, but health deteriorating after that.

Will try to get another Beta and see... Hence, Beta can live in normal clear water. Those colored water is not necessary unless they are sick. But then, a lot of time, I see LFS selling Beta in colored water. Are they selling 'sick' fish then?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Usually LfS sell betta in brownish~yellowish water. Those are water soaked with ketapan leaves. I am not sure if my spelling is correct, but the normal english name provided is called indian almond leaf. The use is to lower water ph, provide antibacterial to water.

I will suggest to look for betta that is active, no physical damage and once u bring home (assuming your tank has been cycled), drip acclimated the fish over 30min~1hour. This will at least reduce the stress impose on the stressed fish