Country
    Singapore

beginner iwagumi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi everyone!

i am setting up a iwagumi tank and hope to have some criticism and advice from experienced bros here!

i am new to the aquatics hobby, basically the last time i was in contact with fish i was 5 years old and pouring too much of a blue chemical ( no idea what chemical ) into my goldfish tank. i think my mum had to clear up the mess that made.

anyway, here is a pic of my tank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NnhXs6g2rUHSdkHQA

made many mistakes.

i got some seeds from Y618.

stated carpet plant on packet, and shop people also didnt know what plant it is. i got it anyway. got some ANS shrimp soil from them too.

followed their instructions for a dry start. i flattened the soil and sowed the seeds.

i realised a few days later that i wanted some gradients on the soil. so i moved the soil, burying some seeds underneath some thick soil.

another few days later, some plants began to sprout! but there were some parts that didnt have plants.

worried that i might not have enough coverage, i sowed more seeds. now waiting for them to grow.

i then read a detailed article on a proper dry start, which mentioned that i should not have too much water to prevent mould and algae, i should cover the tank to retain the moisture, and i should give it 12hrs of light for a start.

so i used a syringe to remove the ponding water, covered the tank and adjusted the light timer.

now i have to wait for another week for the later batch of seeds to grow.

many mistakes were made, and i know what to do in future. my worry is there may be other mistakes that have been made but i have not noticed or do not have the knowledge about.

hope some of the more experienced bros here can point it out to me.

cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: beginner iwagumi

an update to my planted tank.

the glosso ( i am assuming thats what it is ) covered much of the tank, and i flooded it over the weekend.

after the flooding, it seems that the glosso is not growing as well as pre flooding. they are not covering more of the tank, but are slowing growing upwards.

having problems uploading the photos, so here are the google links to the pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9witr3z5cv7vU3kk9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/R3c9B4Dmj7Qx3yhE9

the glosso are folding their leaves upwards, is this normal?

i have a 20L tank, with 24w led. no co2 or any other added supplements.

should i add in some liquid co2? or some ferts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

from what I researched previously, those seeds are not carpeting plants. IMO the pictures in where they sell these seeds are not the same plant. I think, you need to trim the plants to same level, remove the water and try to plant seeds in between those spots w/o sprouts. then wait until all areas are covered with sprouts before you fill the tanks with water. This process will make it look like it carpeted but in reality its just a ton of seeds in the tank. also try to search in youtube how to dry start carpeting plants in case you change your mind and replace these plants with true carpeting plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I found out more about those seeds later on after planting. Will be getting another tank to scape. Will treat this as a learning exp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

After flooding, the plant will go thru a transition from emerge form to submerge from. They will melt and die but new leaves will grow . If you can provide co2 will be better.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk