Hello all, I am new to this forum and am a beginner cichlid keeper.

I am on a quest to keep/breed Apistogramma, but I haven't had much luck.

I tried twice and both times, my Apistos did not make it.

My first time, I had bought a pair and started a new tank just for them. It was a community tank, where I placed about 10 cardinal tetras, 6 cories and the pair of Apisto caca. Unfortunately, the Apisto caca male died shortly after. I had noticed that he wasn't eating well for a few days, and was very sluggish and lethargic.

My second venture, I had bought a pair of younger caca, with the plan to raise them for a few months before they reached breeding age. I kept them in one of my old tanks, which is an already cycled tank with cories and 2 random rummy nose tetras. They were doing well and feeding well, until I realized that the 2 of them just died today.

I have several questions:
1. What do you recommend as a tank for Apistos - a normal sized tank? or a long/shallow/slim tank (which I have seen in a few shops selling Apistos).
2. Do you recommend any other fish as dithers? What about "clean up" fish such as oto or plecos?
3. Any recommendations as to the best beginner Apisto to start with? And also any lobang as to where to find plecos? Any hobbyists out here who want to sell some of their bred fry?

Thank you!