Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

S Repens Melting Disease

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellow aquarists, I've been experiencing some form of "melt" with my 3-month old Staurogyne Repens carpet recently and i could really use your advice....

The melt first starts off on the leaves of one plant, and then it spreads to the leaves of other healthy plants nearby. I am not sure what is the mode of transmission, but it appears to be through contact with the infected melting leaves. I say this as the plants on the far end of the carpet that are a distance away from the infected are still perfectly healthy. However, the same can't be said for plants near the infected. In just ONE day, the melt has spread from one stem to 2-3 others beside it as the leaves touch each other.

I have done some heavy research trying to figure out what is the cause of this phenomenon, but i found no answers. However, i noted that there are many other aquarists who have experienced the same "melting" phenomenon with seemingly healthy and established S Repens as well. It is observed that the melt seems to creep across the carpet as it spreads from plant to plant via contact through infected leaves.

Has anyone here experienced the same problem before? Should I uproot the infected plants immediately to limit the spread, or should i wait it out and see if they bounce back (at the risk of decimating my whole carpet as it continues to spread)?

Please advise!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: S Repens Melting Disease

Hi, welcome.

before anyone can help, can you provide details of you setup, eg pH, Kh, equipment used, Co2 injection? fertilization regime and such. Difficult for anyone to even make a slightest guess to what happen to the S. repens.

Feedback Score
    Images

S repen might melt due to stress, such as sudden change of parameters. I encounter the same thing after i do a blackout. it will grow back after awhile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One of the many reasons why S repens are not widely use as a foreground plant even though Tropica states it's an easy.